Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer stadium deadline extended

kirsty952002

Oct 4, 2003
Eastbourne
whats the point in taking this long, cause it's like a little town which dosnt want it, against the whole country!!!!!!!! big majority there I think!!!! :shootself

Kirsty xxxx

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Kirsty - in view of your newness to the board, are you by any chance an anti-Falmer stadium person in disguise?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ah.... thats what you meant!

I don't necessarily agree that the whole country want it...remember this is a local issue. Obviously clubs support us and fans organisations wants it, but lets be brutally honest, I work in London and the vast majority of people I speak to, Arsenal/tottenham/chelsea etc etc supporters dont give a fetted dingo's kidneys about our "little seaside club"

If this was Arsenal making an application, it would have gone through by now!

As one of the "Interested Parties" (on account of giving evidence at the Public Inquiry), I can report the fact that I received a letter at the end of last week from the ODPM, extending the deadline for comments to Friday 18 June.

The current consultation has reached the stage of seeking comments on the earlier comments made by Interested Parties in April in response to a report submitted to the ODPM by the Albion refuting the Hoile Report. Comments are also being sought on a long document submitted by the Albion last month that explains why Sheepcote Valley is not an appropriate site for a stadium.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes but, if you comment on those comments, and then he asks people to comment on the comments about the comments, then presumably, you could be in your rights not to comment on the comments about the comments made about the comments.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
As one of the "Interested Parties" (on account of giving evidence at the Public Inquiry)

just outta pure interest Lord B why did you exactly give evidence? Have you some sort of Local power or something?

The Wookiee said:
The deadline for the inquiry into Brighton and Hove Albion's new stadium has been extended.
Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott had been expected to make a decision on whether the 23,000-seat stadium could be built at Falmer after 11 June.

But a spokesman said the Deputy Prime Minister's office had extended the deadline to allow more time for interested parties to submit comments.

Conflicting planning reports are the reason for the seven-day extension.

It is now hoped Mr Prescott will make a decision by the end of the summer.

]

How come an extension of seven days turns into ten weeks in the space of a paragraph...............:angry: :angry: :angry:

kirsty952002

Oct 4, 2003
Eastbourne
IF I WAS BLODDY WELL AGAINST THE STADIUM I WOULDNT HAVE PUT FLYERS AROUND HEATHFIELD ABOUT WANTING FALMER, SINGING MY HEART OUT AT CARDIFF!!!!!!!!

ANOUTHER THING IF I DIDNT WANT FALMER I WOULDNT SUPPORT BRIGHTON OR NATHAN, AND I DO SO :p I WAS JUST MERELY PUTTING THAT POINT ACROSS, THAT IS WHAT IT IS LIKE!!!!

*CASE CLOSED*

p.s-alex furgeson backed Falmer as well as wenger (not sure how to spend that)

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Nathan Jones?

As in nathan " I am a one trick pony" Jones

Kirsty honey...don't shout too loudly, you will wake up some of the more sensitive souls who are asleep on here:lolol:

Keith B Wetherill

Oct 6, 2003
Helsinki,Finland
Falmer decision

:shootself I have always believed Prescott to be an over promoted wally..
Deputy Prime Minister ! what a joke.
He doesn't give a toss about the life or death of this club and when he has given 'permission' as he surely must, then I hope DICK KNIGHT doesn't invite ANY of this 'get on the band wagon' government (so Called) to any official opening ceremony and that includes 'Free lunch CAPLIN'
:flameboun :flameboun :flameboun

CrabtreeBHA said:
just outta pure interest Lord B why did you exactly give evidence? Have you some sort of Local power or something?
Initially I got involved simply by writing a letter in support of the Albion's planning application. It was then suggested that I might care to put my name forward as a potential witness. I had some time on my hands on account of having just finished working full time, so I said yes. My previous job had given me some experience of the planning process and public inquiries. My evidence at the Inquiry was given from the perspective of an Albion supporter, rather than as a transport witness (which, as some people may know, is my professional background).

My formal status at the Inquiry was that I was one of the "Other Interested Parties" (which is why I am still involved). Most of the witnesses who spoke in support of the application were "Witnesses called by Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club Ltd". As far as I know, this group (which includes all the technical witnesses, as well as people like Des Lynam, the FA, Football League, Sport England, etc) are no longer formally involved in the process, other than at the invitation of the Club to assist in preparing supporting information which is being submitted to the ODPM by the Club's principal planning advisors.

Last edited:

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I think the BBC are making an educated guess with the last line about a "decision by the end of the summer". In reality it could be any day, week, month, year after the 19th of June.

I reckon the next delay will be the fact that most of Westminster including Mr Prescott will soon disappear on their 6 week summer holidays! Summer recess is from the 22nd July to 7th September.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
What a lovely red taped world we live in.

A gay sports arena or asylum Centre then it would have been built by now. Sorry if that sounds derogatory, it's not meant to be, but this is now taking the p@ss.

The annoying thing is those fields WILL be built on in 30 or 40 years time, that is a dead cert.

I now have the plan.......

We all chip in with some cash, hire a few vans, buy some bricks and start building the :censored: thing ourselves!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
aahh cool Lord B, nice to know we have an NSC representative telling JP whats best :thumbsup:

Re: Re: Falmer stadium deadline extended

Storer68 said:
How come an extension of seven days turns into ten weeks in the space of a paragraph...............:angry: :angry: :angry:
One reason is that whatever gets written has to be read by the civil servants in the ODPM.

You're a civil servant, Storer 68. Perhaps you can let us know whether these people are slow readers.

:lolol:

Once the reading has been done, they'll have to prepare a report to the Minister and draft the decision letter (which, I promise, will be VERY long).

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Maybe this is an opportunity for us to have one last hurrah of letter writing to the ODPM?

Coincidentally if England do very well in the Euros then this could become even more of a political hot potato than it currently is.

Fingers crossed this is just 'delaying the good news'.

Shudder to think what these repeated delays are costing the club.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Superseagull said:
I think the BBC are making an educated guess with the last line about a "decision by the end of the summer". In reality it could be any day, week, month, year after the 19th of June.

I reckon the next delay will be the fact that most of Westminster including Mr Prescott will soon disappear on their 6 week summer holidays! Summer recess is from the 22nd July to 7th September.
#

And then its the Labour party conference in Brighton. Which makes me think if its a YES, he will probably announce it soon, however if its a NO i reckon he will wait until after the conference.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here