Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer stadium deadline extended

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The deadline for the inquiry into Brighton and Hove Albion's new stadium has been extended.
Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott had been expected to make a decision on whether the 23,000-seat stadium could be built at Falmer after 11 June.

But a spokesman said the Deputy Prime Minister's office had extended the deadline to allow more time for interested parties to submit comments.

Conflicting planning reports are the reason for the seven-day extension.

It is now hoped Mr Prescott will make a decision by the end of the summer.

The Seagulls want to build a stadium at Falmer as their present ground, an athletics ground in Withdean, can only hold 7,000 of their estimated 30,000 fans.

Supporters and club officials have staged a long campaign to gather support for the plans and have inundated John Prescott's office with petitions, postcards and flowers.

The fans were recently awarded the accolade of being the country's "best" supporters by the Football Supporters' Federation's Fans' Parliament because of their commitment to the campaign.

The plans for the Falmer stadium have been approved by the city council, but opposition from some locals and environmental groups led to a public inquiry, which lasted for several months last year.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3787023.stm

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
"Conflicting planning reports are the reason for the seven-day extension"

am I right in thinking Hoiles was against but the other blokes was all for it then?

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I can only read in what you have said crabtree, but I am by no means an expert. Conflicting facts or decisions ? come LB you seem to know what these things mean.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
"Conflicting planning reports are the reason for the seven-day extension. "

good news rather than bad then ?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I expected nothing less. This has been a right cock up from the time that Hoiles put his bloody oar in.

Hopefully JP is making sure that Hoiles will be well & truely shown up for being a totally inept/inert (delete the innapropriate) wanker.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It would appear that Hoiles report is probably the exact opposite of Collyers.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Check out the link to the nimby page and read their "Falmer replies" section. Tears of laughter would feature if it wasn't still so up in the air.

kirsty952002

Oct 4, 2003
Eastbourne
i know this probaly isnt going to happen, but heard they were gonna try and make it bigger then they want Falmer, so they could have a chance of hosting concerts, national matchs etc. but the chances of that happening is rather remote because we can't even get flippin permission for Falmer for God's Sake!!!!!! :(

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hands up who's suprised at this latest delay??, thought not :angry:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Kirsty...can you put that in English please:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here