Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer??? or Amex??? you decide.......

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In fairness, why should they (or any other business) have been expected to throw cash at a club dying on its arse at a converted athletics track ? Its unrealistic to expect tinpot football clubs to be bailed out by vast global corporations.

I'm just grateful they're on board now and providing a creditable sponsor for the stadium. Worth bearing in mind, when you see the likes of "KitKat Crescent" or the "Corals Window Stadium".
Agreed. Why should they have wanted anything to do with us when we were a tinpot, rag-arse club? They're a commercial organisation at the end of the day not a charitable foundation.

In some ways it's the same as the 'new' fans. In order to sell out FalMex and move the Albion forward we need people to turn up who haven't previously wished to be closely-associated with the club in its Withdean years. Well it's the same with sponsors. I think most of us will welcome the newcomers but I'm equally sure some will feel resentment that it isn't just the harcore 7000 rattling round Stadium Donatello.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
The Amex Stadium is fine with me, big employer in our town so good on them.

Have they sponsored the name for a certain length of time or forever ?

sure i've read somewhere its for 10 years, total deal around £10 million but i could just be getting old and making it up :drool:

and falmer for me

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If anyone feels we are in anyway obliged to call it by that name they know nothing about the people that follow the game

As far as I can see nobody has said they feel obliged to call the stadium anything in particular.

I'm with Easy 10 and will call it The Amex. Falmer is a shitty little village that tried to stop us NOT a state of the art football stadium.

I really can't understand why you're so hostile to Amex sponsoring the stadium.

As far as I can see nobody has said they feel obliged to call the stadium anything in particular.

I'm with Easy 10 and will call it The Amex. Falmer is a shitty little village that tried to stop us NOT a state of the art football stadium.

I really can't understand why you're so hostile to Amex sponsoring the stadium.

there are a few, not just on this thread but others as who feel so greatful to A**x for the money and what they are doing for the club, someone said it "would be churlish not to call it that" someone else said "without them we may not have a stadium" (although the more I think about it it's got to be a wind up). Others who, more worriyingly think it's a 'cool name', were perhaps the same people who thought British Caledonian was a 'cool' sponsor, 8 years later we had NOBO plastered all over the place, that was cool! it's a slippery slope, see you in 10 years at the Feckarse.com (in association with Nobrot enterprises) Community Stadium.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Happy to call it "The Amex". It's a small price to pay, and really doesn't sound bad in it's own right.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Does anyone agree with me??? i would have liked the new stadium to be called Falmer road......got a better ring to it, "marching down the falmer rooooad.....to see the gus's aces, all the lads!!!" the american express community stadium...hmmmm or the amex arena??? tell me whatcha think:albion1:

I don't understand.

Did we used to sing "going down the Goldston Ground ...." or perhaps the place was actually called "Old Shoreham Road."

Anyway, personally, I prefer, "Going on the park and ride ... to see the Gus's aces."

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
there are a few, not just on this thread but others as who feel so greatful to A**x for the money and what they are doing for the club, someone said it "would be churlish not to call it that" someone else said "without them we may not have a stadium" (although the more I think about it it's got to be a wind up). Others who, more worriyingly think it's a 'cool name', were perhaps the same people who thought British Caledonian was a 'cool' sponsor, 8 years later we had NOBO plastered all over the place, that was cool! it's a slippery slope, see you in 10 years at the Feckarse.com (in association with Nobrot enterprises) Community Stadium.

Nothing you quote there says people feel obliged just that they think Amex have earnt it by pumping money into the club. "Cool" is very subjective and nothing to get so worked up about.

You need to take a chill pill - it's only a sponsors name :smokin:

:amex::amex::amex:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I stopped referring to it as Falmer as soon as we got the sponsorship.
Falmer is a SHIT name, all it denotes for me is nimbys and years and years of delays.

Its the Amex as far as I'm concerned. Thats all I'll ever call it, even if it changes sponsor.

I havn't heard them claiming otherwise.

As it is, I think them lending their name to a 3rd division football club is one HELL of a coup, being as they have zero presence in football generally. They don't sponsor anyone higher up, they don't bother with the Prem or Champions League, and I don't recall seeing them as one of the World Cup sponsors. So for them to get into bed with the Albion is, I think, quite extraordinary.

I hope they sponsor the shirts as well, like Emirates do with Arsenal. Their blue and white logo on the shirts ? That'll do nicely.

Here here Easy 10! As I have previously mentioned on numerous threads I despise and abhor the 'F' word for exactly the same reasons and still feel bitter about the near death experience the Albion suffered at the hands of the Lewes District council sponsored Anti stadium campaign, I will never refer to the Amex as anything other than 'The Amex'. The 'F' word can just cease to exist and 'F' off as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with all of the above-Falmer needs burying asap.

Like many people I hate the name Falmer. Apart from a catchy campaign name-Falmer For All-the stadium should never have used the name 'Falmer'.

It still sounds strange at the moment but it's Amex for me and the more we hear it on all the football shows-the more it'll become The Amex.

We're entering a new era for the Albion so it's fitting that we now have a new name for the stadium. We have as sponsors one of the best known brands in the world-that has raised our profile immensely and we're not even using the bloody place yet.

Falmer? Falmer can f*** off-it's The Amex for me.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
especially when we get to be on telly- doubt bbc will be happy plugging Amex each time they visit!

Why not? They 'go to' 'The Emirates', 'Galpharm Stadium', 'The Ricoh Arena', etc., etc. Where there's a sponsored stadium name they tend to use that name. The Amex will not (and should not) be any different. Falmer was only ever going to be used until a sponsor was announced-unfortunately, the bastards of Falmer delayed us for so long that 'Falmer' was used about 6 or more years more than planned.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010

Like many people I hate the name Falmer. Apart from a catchy campaign name-Falmer For All-the stadium should never have used the name 'Falmer'.

It still sounds strange at the moment but it's Amex for me and the more we hear it on all the football shows-the more it'll become The Amex.

We're entering a new era for the Albion so it's fitting that we now have a new name for the stadium. We have as sponsors one of the best known brands in the world-that has raised our profile immensely and we're not even using the bloody place yet.

Agree with all of this. Falmer has associations with negativity, heartache and lies.

Let's draw a line under it all. Fresh start, fresh name - AMEX it is.

:amex: :amex: :amex:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Ya see, I hate the 'Amex' moniker as much as you hate 'Falmer'. For me 'Falmer' represents a glorious battle won against NIMBYism, self-interest and parochialism. We won, they lost, it's ours - forever. That sort of thing shouldn't just be consigned to the dustbin.

And I don't recall Amex taking part in that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ya see, I hate the 'Amex' moniker as much as you hate 'Falmer'. For me 'Falmer' represents a glorious battle won against NIMBYism, self-interest and parochialism. We won, they lost, it's ours - forever. That sort of thing shouldn't just be consigned to the dustbin.

And I don't recall Amex taking part in that.
They're presumably paying the club a lot of money for the privilege of naming the stadium as such. I guess that doesn't count for anything then?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm struggling to get worked up over the name of the stadium. AMEX seems fine, Falmer seems fine.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
They're presumably paying the club a lot of money for the privilege of naming the stadium as such. I guess that doesn't count for anything then?

It can count for what it wants. I'm indifferent to the whole Amex thing, aside from the excellent news of it giving a <insert your own figure> quid to the club. If the flipside of that is that the stadium carries that name, fine. I just won't be using it - others will.

This is different from how I see Bwian's point about the word 'Falmer'; to have no association with the stadium whatsoever, which is not how I feel about Amex.

I read it that he thinks 'Falmer' stands for something negative. I disagree.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It can count for what it wants. I'm indifferent to the whole Amex thing, aside from the excellent news of it giving a <insert your own figure> quid to the club. If the flipside of that is that the stadium carries that name, fine. I just won't be using it - others will.

This is different from how I see Bwian's point about the word 'Falmer'; to have no association with the stadium whatsoever, which is not how I feel about Amex.

I read it that he thinks 'Falmer' stands for something negative. I disagree.

Yep! Falmer=Delays, lies, struggles and 6 or 7 years of Withdean that we shouldn't have had t endure.

Hard to find any positives there.

As many have said already-it'll probably be 'going to the football on Saturday'? Only the media and away fans will use a formal name. I think :thumbsup:

olliwarne

Aug 12, 2010
Germany
It's Falmer for me cause I got used to calling it Falmer!
But I think The AMEX is pretty classy too ...
Don't like the sound of The American Express Stadium though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here