Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer??? or Amex??? you decide.......

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Considdering Amex have ploughed a significant amount of cash into sponsoring the stadium, it should always be called "The Amex"

Without them, you may not have a new stadium.
I dunno if it's been confirmed how much they've bought the naming rights for, but the rumours were not of huge amounts. Not in terms of what has been put in to build the thing.

Neither 'Falmer' or 'The Amex' are particularly good names. I'll probably call it Falmer more than Amex but it's not like I use it a lot anyway. I don't say "are you going to Withdean on Saturday". I say "are you going to the game" or suchlike.

:)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I dunno if it's been confirmed how much they've bought the naming rights for, but the rumours were not of huge amounts. Not in terms of what has been put in to build the thing.

Peter Godfrey (President of Amex UK, Head of Global Network Services, lives near Haywards Heath) was apparently instrumental in persuading the Amex corporation to sponsor the stadium - and I don't know if this is true or not, but Amex apparently assisted TB in the costs for the build.

This is from a Bloke In The Pub btw, so how much truth there is in this I have no idea.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Considdering Amex have ploughed a significant amount of cash into sponsoring the stadium, it should always be called "The Amex"

Without them, you may not have a new stadium.

f*** Amex. They're the biggest glory-hunters of the lot. Where was their help when we had no planning permission and DK had to throw out the SOS of the Alive n Kicking Appeal? We were THAT close to going under. Only the contributions of good and true Albion fans, the well-dodgy gentleman's agreement Virgo transfer and a fortunate Cup tie saved the day. I repeat, f*** Amex. Anybody can back a winner.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Amex Stadium is fine with me, big employer in our town so good on them.

Have they sponsored the name for a certain length of time or forever ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
f*** Amex. They're the biggest glory-hunters of the lot. Where was their help when we had no planning permission and DK had to throw out the SOS of the Alive n Kicking Appeal? We were THAT close to going under. Only the contributions of good and true Albion fans, the well-dodgy gentleman's agreement Virgo transfer and a fortunate Cup tie saved the day. I repeat, f*** Amex. Anybody can back a winner.

In fairness, why should they (or any other business) have been expected to throw cash at a club dying on its arse at a converted athletics track ? Its unrealistic to expect tinpot football clubs to be bailed out by vast global corporations.

I'm just grateful they're on board now and providing a creditable sponsor for the stadium. Worth bearing in mind, when you see the likes of "KitKat Crescent" or the "Corals Window Stadium".

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
f*** Amex. They're the biggest glory-hunters of the lot. Where was their help when we had no planning permission and DK had to throw out the SOS of the Alive n Kicking Appeal?

quite. i dont recall them steping in as a shirt sponsor or anything. they are intersted now it gives them some nice corporate boxes at a state of the art stadium. fair enough, thats what corporations want and pay for, but lets not hear anything about them being long term supporters of the BHAFC, as they haven't shown any support before.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I stopped referring to it as Falmer as soon as we got the sponsorship.
Falmer is a SHIT name, all it denotes for me is nimbys and years and years of delays.

Its the Amex as far as I'm concerned. Thats all I'll ever call it, even if it changes sponsor.

I agree and we need to move on from all that past history and the years of disappointment. The Amex for me too.:amex:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In fairness, why should they (or any other business) have been expected to throw cash at a club dying on its arse at a converted athletics track ? Its unrealistic to expect tinpot football clubs to be bailed out by vast global corporations.

I'm just grateful they're on board now and providing a creditable sponsor for the stadium. Worth bearing in mind, when you see the likes of "KitKat Crescent" or the "Corals Window Stadium".

Well they're a 'vast global corporation' or 'big employer in our town' depending on which post you read. Obviously they're both. But no way should we be thanking them in any meaningful way at all. They're in it for themselves, not for the club. They'd have happily seen us go under without ever caring one way or the other. f*** 'em.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Still mainly calling it 'falmer', but find myself referring to it as The Amex more and more often. By the time we actually get there next summer, I expect it to be widely called The Amex

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
but lets not hear anything about them being long term supporters of the BHAFC, as they haven't shown any support before.

I havn't heard them claiming otherwise.

It is what it is - the club wanted a major sponsor, and Amex have stepped forward. I don't see any reason to deride them for not investing in the club before. Why would they ?

As it is, I think them lending their name to a 3rd division football club is one HELL of a coup, being as they have zero presence in football generally. They don't sponsor anyone higher up, they don't bother with the Prem or Champions League, and I don't recall seeing them as one of the World Cup sponsors. So for them to get into bed with the Albion is, I think, quite extraordinary.

I hope they sponsor the shirts as well, like Emirates do with Arsenal. Their blue and white logo on the shirts ? That'll do nicely.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Falmer is a bit tired and wanky nowadays

As mentioned I'll refer to it as "the football" and when asked where we are playing the response will be "down here"

I suspect the press will push the Amex thing so I'm happy for that.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Does anyone agree with me??? i would have liked the new stadium to be called Falmer road......got a better ring to it, "marching down the falmer rooooad.....to see the gus's aces, all the lads!!!" the american express community stadium...hmmmm or the amex arena??? tell me whatcha think:albion1:

It will always be marching down the Old Shoreham Road! :thud:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Is the right answer. Galpharm is another stupid name, or b2net....at least Amex is an easy abbreviation, what do you call the b2net Stadium for short?

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I like the return of the term 'Falmer' Its where it is, what its been called for the past decade, Amex is OK, but Falmer is always a great name too.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I stopped referring to it as Falmer as soon as we got the sponsorship.
Falmer is a SHIT name, all it denotes for me is nimbys and years and years of delays.

Its the Amex as far as I'm concerned. Thats all I'll ever call it, even if it changes sponsor.

Here here Easy 10! As I have previously mentioned on numerous threads I despise and abhor the 'F' word for exactly the same reasons and still feel bitter about the near death experience the Albion suffered at the hands of the Lewes District council sponsored Anti stadium campaign, I will never refer to the Amex as anything other than 'The Amex'. The 'F' word can just cease to exist and 'F' off as far as I'm concerned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here