Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer??? or Amex??? you decide.......

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
To take a commercial view, 'money breeds money'. Some may not be keen on 'the amex', but having a stadium carrying the name of a Global Financial Co could entice more money into the club! As long as they don't go belly up like AIG and Man Utd. It's also about time they invested in the community!!

It may take a while for me not to think of it as 'Falmer' though!

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
Peter Godfrey (President of Amex UK, Head of Global Network Services, lives near Haywards Heath) was apparently instrumental in persuading the Amex corporation to sponsor the stadium - and I don't know if this is true or not, but Amex apparently assisted TB in the costs for the build.

*cough* Bollocks!

Dick Knight made the agreement with American Express over 2 years ago but because
of the worldwide banking crises, it was put on hold!

Nick Rowles

Naughty Nick
Jan 20, 2010
Uxbridge
I'm sure we will always sing 'going down Old Shoreham Rd' etc, however, I can't wait to sing it in the new stadium which will be the Amex to everyone else in the football league, despite getting the train to Falmer - end of!

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
'Going down Old Shoreham Road' will always be the song that's going to be sung not anything else like ' marching down the falmer road'

D

Deleted member 2719

Did anyone ever say to anybody, 'I'm off up The Goldstone...' ???

As it's our stadium, I doubt if we will call it anything, other than 'the football...' ???

Other club's fans may refer to it as whatever, but to me, and I daresay a lot of others, it will always be 'the football...'

I did!

I always said "i am off to the Goldstone" to friends or family, probably because if i wasn't playing football i would go so it made sense to be more descriptive with my words.

Falmer for me but who know the marketing may well change my views in the future.

Whether we privately call it Falmer or not whenever we are in the presence of an outside influence we should call it The Amex. Probably followed by how good Amex is and be wearing a shirt with Amex on. This way they will get a big exposure and when the renewal of the stadium sponsorship comes up the price will go up as whoever gets it will know they are getting a big public exposure. If we never call it that no-one will sponsor it and we will get no money.

WHORE ourselves that what I say. Think of the money! AMEX AMEX I love AMEX they are great.

AMEX.

:facepalm:

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
New songs..... new names.....new beginnings, the past is the past, its time to look to the future now, SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAGULLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

Deleted User X18H

When did it START being "marching down the Old Shoreham Road"? I don't remember that.

It went a little something like this ,

Oh me lads you should have seen us coming, everywhere was blue and white and everyone was running.

All the lads and lasses with all their smiling faces 'coming' down Old Shoreham Road.

To see the Brighton Aces.

Where as the original is

Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races

Last edited:

I took it that he was being sarcastic

possibly, and on reflection I hope Jevs was as well, it's just that it's like a red rag to a bull with me. A**x are not in this for me, you or The Albion, the're in it for A**x. After what the supporters of this club have been through and have given (The Albion have given me some great times in return I admit) I (I won't say WE that's up to you) owe A**x f*** all. If anyone feels we are in anyway obliged to call it by that name they know nothing about the people that follow the game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here