Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer??? or Amex??? you decide.......

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
Does anyone agree with me??? i would have liked the new stadium to be called Falmer road......got a better ring to it, "marching down the falmer rooooad.....to see the gus's aces, all the lads!!!" the american express community stadium...hmmmm or the amex arena??? tell me whatcha think:albion1:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well, you can still go "marching down the Falmer Road", can't you, as that part of the song never referred to the stadium's name in the first place.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
"The Amex" sounds wicked!

like The Emirates it sounds cool man!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Incidentally what would you have preferred to call it if Archer & Bellotti's plans to build a stadium at Toad's Hole Valley had ever actually come off?

"Marching down the Toad's Hole/to see the Brighton aces" doesn't quite work for me :lolol:

You'd have been DESPERATE for a corporate sponsor :p

JGaleBHA

On the Gus bus
Apr 24, 2010
Horsham
I like the sound of The Amex.
But I think I'm getting used to calling it Falmer and will probably carry on doing that.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Did anyone ever say to anybody, 'I'm off up The Goldstone...' ???

As it's our stadium, I doubt if we will call it anything, other than 'the football...' ???

Other club's fans may refer to it as whatever, but to me, and I daresay a lot of others, it will always be 'the football...'

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Did anyone ever say to anybody, 'I'm off up The Goldstone...' ???

As it's our stadium, I doubt if we will call it anything, other than 'the football...' ???

Other club's fans may refer to it as whatever, but to me, and I daresay a lot of others, it will always be 'the football...'

This

liam82

Onwards and Upwards
Apr 8, 2007
Telscombe Cliffs
Probably Falmer for me.

Marching down the falmer rooooad to see the Brighton aces...sounds great and I cant wait to start singing it nex year.

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
Don't see why it should change to be honest, whilst at Withdean we never sang "marching down Tongdean Lane" so why should we change it?

Old Shoreham Road bit in the song is part of the clubs history.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Considdering Amex have ploughed a significant amount of cash into sponsoring the stadium, it should always be called "The Amex"

Without them, you may not have a new stadium.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Considdering Amex have ploughed a significant amount of cash into sponsoring the stadium, it should always be called "The Amex"

Without them, you may not have a new stadium.

untill the rights run out and it becomes the "brand X". and you may have missed some news, Tony already paid for the stadium.

its always going to be Falmer to me.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well, you can still go "marching down the Falmer Road", can't you, as that part of the song never referred to the stadium's name in the first place.

Exactly.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don't see why it should change to be honest, whilst at Withdean we never sang "marching down Tongdean Lane" so why should we change it?

Old Shoreham Road bit in the song is part of the clubs history.

You're right Gav - The song is pretty old to my knowledge and we shouldn't ever change the words. It's a bit of a tribute to the Goldstone when it's sang IMO.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Incidentally what would you have preferred to call it if Archer & Bellotti's plans to build a stadium at Toad's Hole Valley had ever actually come off?

"Marching down the Toad's Hole/to see the Brighton aces" doesn't quite work for me :lolol:

You'd have been DESPERATE for a corporate sponsor :p

I lived on the hill above Toads Hole,( don't think any body called it that in those days) with other Born and Breds, in The Sunninghill Estate. I'm sure that could have been worked in somehow.
It wasn't to be because the residents of the Cooks Estate didn't want it. :wink:

You're right Gav - The song is pretty old to my knowledge and we shouldn't ever change the words. It's a bit of a tribute to the Goldstone when it's sang IMO.
Exactly. "The Shoreham Road" will live on.

Did Newcastle United fans drop "The Scotswood Road" when Blaydon Racecourse closed in 1916?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I stopped referring to it as Falmer as soon as we got the sponsorship.
Falmer is a SHIT name, all it denotes for me is nimbys and years and years of delays.

Its the Amex as far as I'm concerned. Thats all I'll ever call it, even if it changes sponsor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here