Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - ODPM asks interested parties to comment on Inspectors report

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Parliament is in recess (i.e. The Ministers are on their holidays) until 19th April. I'd say the best that you can hope for is that there will be a submission waiting for him when he gets back.

Ironically of course, the more letters that are sent the longer it will take to make the decision i.e. A civil servant will have to read everything that is sent in.

Petitions and letters from representative groups (what about the fanzine or even Northstandchat writing a letter) are good ways of showing mass support without sending millions of letters.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
When are the postcards being sent out?

Have they already gone?

Needs to be soon so they can speak to JP just before April 9-unless FFA has other plans for them?

I'm a bit out of touch on this campaign simply because there are no Labour MPs in Guildford so I haven't really been involved in it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't see why supporters cannot write to Prescott saying that they consider Village Way South to be slightly superior in view of Prescott's own enlightened and flexible attitude towards what consitutues "green belt" land.

Despite a slightly longer walk from Falmer station, it is cheaper because it does not involve paying the University (so I understand). I think it would be possible to make the stadium bigger to 28,000 which would make all the difference. (Set in Falmerdean Country Park forming a natural limit to further development on the downs if you want some adjectives.)

I remember writing an earlier message saying that Prescott would say Yes and 99% it would be Falmer. The 1% was an implication that Prescott would pull a stroke like this (because it had done over the Arsenal CPO Inquiry) and draw the other sites in the melting pot. (Lord Bracknell said that this would not happen because it was only Falmer VWN that was in the frame!)

Roll on January 2005 (or thereabouts) when we will know the decision. Or do you think it could be in by September 2004?

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
Just spent ages reading carefully through this thread. I agree with the majority that this is GOOD news.

Does anyone have anymore pro-falmer ideas up their sleeve?

WE WANT FALMER :jester:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Hatterlovesbrighton said:

Ironically of course, the more letters that are sent the longer it will take to make the decision i.e. A civil servant will have to read everything that is sent in.

Petitions and letters from representative groups (what about the fanzine or even Northstandchat writing a letter) are good ways of showing mass support without sending millions of letters.

Letters from a fanzine or internet message boards doesn't have the impact of thousands upon thousands of letters. They can add weight to the campaigns underway though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
perseus said:
I don't see why supporters cannot write to Prescott saying that they consider Village Way South to be slightly superior in view of Prescott's own enlightened and flexible attitude towards what consitutues "green belt" land

Because we haven't put in a planning application for Village Way South. Or rather, we did, and then withdrew it. And the club are not going to re-submit it.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Maybe it is not a good idea.

It is the truth though.

Albion considered Falmer Village Way South to be the best site. It is only the squealing and messing about by the politicians that got Village Way north on the table as the only choice. That's local democracy, I suppose.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I think it's good news as it shows that he's been influenced in some way by the response of thousands of football fans from around the country.

Just a word of caution though - if he's 'covering his a**e' then this could just as easily be from us as from the Falmer anti's.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
perseus said:
I don't see why supporters cannot write to Prescott saying that they consider Village Way South to be slightly superior in view of Prescott's own enlightened and flexible attitude towards what consitutues "green belt" land.

Despite a slightly longer walk from Falmer station, it is cheaper because it does not involve paying the University (so I understand). I think it would be possible to make the stadium bigger to 28,000 which would make all the difference
So what you are suggesting, perseus, is that we now write in to say we should build the stadium on a different site, and with a different design to accomodate an extra 6,000 fans. This would also need to be backed up by a new traffic survey to accomodate the increased number of fans. Effectively, sending the whole thing back to the drawing board where we would be starting again from scratch.

Are you serious ? If so, I think you may need to up your medication.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I am not suggesting that at all. Or at least I did not mean to.

I am suggesting that we tell Prescott that we have bent over backwards to accommodate the moaners and squealers (I could have said to appease the green lobby, but I don't think anything would appease them) and that we agree with Prescott inasmuch that some flexibility should be accorded to the arbitary AONB boundary.

So should Prescott feel inclined to ignore the AONB boundary completely. I wish I had not brought it up now.

Let's face it. It is the bloody boundary that is being slightly awkward. Common sense (probably went out the window a long time ago) say the stadium would be best on the optimum site on the Falmer location, not constrained by an out of date ruling.

I expect there will be legal problems changing the site now. But that is not the point. I thought of it more like asking for a pay raise which you think deserve and then having to aceept what was on offer: VWN in this case.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
It looks to me like Mr prescott WAS definatley going to say NO, and thanks to all our efforts it would appear he is reconsidering.

Looks quite promising.

Could be a fantastic start to next season in Div 1!!! :clap2:

perseus said:
Jeez, Percy.

This is a CAMPAIGN.

What that means is that we take our leadership from the people who will deliver victory.

If this was a military campaign in, say, Iraq, and a prat like you kept saying "I don't see why we shouldn't change tactics and do something in Saudi Arabia instead", the leadership would have you shot.

Will you please shut up - or have you already posted this particularly stupid idea on other message boards?

I expected us to hear yes or no, not a further fudge.

I realy hope it is good news, but clearly he is not convinced enough to give it the thumbs up at present. Hopefully this is just covering his back, if not it must be because he was minded to say no, but needs to be seen to consult further in light of Fans actions.

Hopeful, yet worried.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Why is jp asking all parties to write into him with regards to this
issue when he already has a mountain of paperwork explaining
the pro and cons for the stadium at falmer.Lets hope its a
positive step

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Desert Orchid said:
The postcard campaign has now been extended to ALL MPs outside Sussex, even your Lib Dem MP in Guildford.

Thanks-I wasn't aware of that.

Now, where do I get postcards from?

I'm in a campaigning frame of mind..............

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
portslade seagull said:
Why is jp asking all parties to write into him with regards to this issue when he already has a mountain of paperwork explaining the pro and cons for the stadium at falmer.
My theory is that Hoile's conclusions in his report contradicted so many aspects of the Public Inquiry, and flew in the face of so much evidence, that he requires further clarification of some of the issues before reaching a decision.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bwian said:
Thanks-I wasn't aware of that.

Now, where do I get postcards from?

I'm in a campaigning frame of mind..............

Tim Carder has them

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Soton Seagull said:
it must be because he was minded to say no, but needs to be seen to consult further in light of Fans actions.

Hopeful, yet worried.
I see what you mean, but I don't buy into that theory. A "NO" is a "NO", whatever way it is dressed up, and however it is arrived at. JP doesn't strike me as a bloke who will beat around the bush. If he doesn't think it's a go-er, then he'll say NO . He won't fanny about to pose and posture for the sake of it, to try to sweeten the pill for the fans.

I remain encouraged. This is a clear indication that the application is getting the careful scrutiny it deserves, and will not disappear under a whitewashed, inaccurate, half-arsed report from a local inspector.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But surely, if he has the report and the evidence from the enquiry, why does he need to get people round the table? There are holes in Hoyles report which the main report will have highlighted.

I am very pessimistic the longer this goes on. I think he is stringing this out till after the season ends and he will release the decision during Euro04 when we are all concentrating on England. This will minimise the impact.

Please may I be wrong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here