Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - ODPM asks interested parties to comment on Inspectors report

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
80's Seagull said:
At least it show's that the ODPM have taken note of all the objections to Hoile's laughable report, but another delay! I can't stand it.

I think we were kidding ourselves expecting an "early" decision....let's see this as a POSITIVE DELAY!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
balloonboy said:
I think we were kidding ourselves expecting an "early" decision....

we were kidding ourselves or the club were kidding us?

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Bwian said:
And keep on nagging people to write, sign the petition or do it for them (with their permission of course).....

When is the petition due to land in JP's in-tray?

I formatted the petition in to a nice Exel document and printed all 364 pages of it last night. Just need to do a covering letter today and hopefully send it today or tomorrow.

I will also copy ODPM by e-mail and knock up a press release for the press.

This does NOT mean the end of the petition! It's still worth getting people to sign it and I will send a further batch to ODPM as the numbers increase. Hopefully we'll get a bit of publicity to help encourage people to sign.

We will get FALMER!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Spicy said:
I hate to be cynical but I wonder whether further opposition will come forward as a result of that consultation?

If there was any further opposition out there I'd have thought we'd have heard about it by now. All of the NIMBYs and their supporters would have used every argument available to them during the Public (I)Enquiry surely? They were using some laughably ridiculous arguments during the most important hearing so the possibility of any new legitimate arguments surfacing seem unlikely. I hope!

Just gives us another ideal opportunity to show JP and the ODPM that Falmer is the only option.

Can we not get the people involved in this decision to visit Brighton and Hove so they can see for themselves the unique problem BHAFC has in finding a suitable site? It's all very well looking at pictures and studying maps. They need to see the reality of the situation.

Anybody fancy making a short video of all of the suggested sites (and surrounding areas)? If they won't come to us let us take Falmer to them.

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
CrabtreeBHA said:
Labour Spring Break or some bollocks happens after April 9th too, not sure for how long but thats bound to delay it. I'm thinking mid-late summer at this rate unless its of top priority ???

And there'll be lots of Easter eggs to distract him over the Easter period.

Make a decision or eat some more eggs?

Say yes dam it!:angry:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Titanic said:
Kent Seagull,
That's a fantastic effort - well done and thank you for all your hard word !!!
:clap2: :ascarf: :clap2:

Agreed, tremendous effort Kent Seagull. Your work and our efforts deserve massive publicity.

364 pages and growing might get their attention!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Absolutely brilliiant news if you ask me. We've waited months and months for a decision, so personally I couldn't care less if it's delayed by another month or so. The most important thing is that the club and its supporters now present its case as effectively as possible.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
It looks good to me.....

But how can clubs like Sunderland or Darlington decide to build an impressive satdium with no problems?? I understand the Greenbelt issue but GOD!! How frustrating is this??
:clap:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The only way it could be negative is if this is a ploy to drag it out until after the season. Although I don't for one minute think that the outcry would be any different if there was a no decision in the close season. Generally this must be good, but frustrating that he can't say yes faster!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The Northstander said:
It looks good to me.....

But how can clubs like Sunderland or Darlington decide to build an impressive satdium with no problems?? I understand the Greenbelt issue but GOD!! How frustrating is this??
:clap:

Sunderland and Darlington had shitloads of brownfield sites to build on (they lost most of their industries so the land was lying dormant) and crying out for something to redevelop the areas-certainly the case for Sunderland and I'm sure the same for Darlo!

Add to that the (apparent) lack of NIMBYism 'oop North'. There appears to be more of a community spirit 'oop North' too. They'd never let 200 selfish Little Englander NIMBYs led by some throw-back publican destroy the hopes and dreams of 40 odd thousand supporters of a new community asset.

Last edited:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
We need to keep going and end encouraging any family/friends to write, even if it means typing the letter for them and getting them to sign.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
I think this is good news, too - your first impression is always negative about Falmer these days, at least mine is: fear makes everything look like a threat! But in fact this extension implies the possibility of a credible defence against that tosser Hoile's crass and inaccurate report, and that the ODPM recognises that fact. Seems to put the final decision some time after the end of the season, though, which doesn't help the nerves.

To pinch a Redskins lyric about another great, drawn-out struggle: we've got to keep on keeping on.

Percy Tantrums

Jul 14, 2003
Brighton
I think this shows that Prescott is minded to support the application for the planning stadium, but there are planning problems that he faces. We must keep the campaign going.

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
Desert Orchid said:
Seriously, don't even think about it. He will think we are taking the piss out of his size.

Fair point, I was merely refering to the Easter holiday period where the whole country shuts down watches James Bond repeats on telly and munches the odd chocolate confectionary item which may distract from ones work.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hmmm, submissions to ODPM by 9th April

-ODPM reads through submissions: 2 months (this is the civil service remember)

-ODPM writes report on findings: 2 months (they type slowly)

-Two Jags has to read through report: 2 weeks

-Lunch/Dinner/Rest/Holiday breaks: 2 weeks

-Two Jags announces decision: September 9th.

Oh well, what's another 6 months when you've waited years eh?

We need to keep the profile of this case high. Why not try and get people in the background everywhere Prescott (or Blair etc) go over the next few weeks? Whenever they- or any other politician- is interviewed on TV, get someone in the background waving a We Want Falmer poster, and get the banners in prominent places like Rruss's "photographs" did.

In the same way as people used to wave those "John 3:16" posters at all sporting events (or the Save Chip campaign), it would make Falmer a topic of conversation. If we could make it work, people would start asking "what the hell's that poster about behind Jordan/Camilla Parker Bowles/the Queen?". You wouldnt need to do anything controversial or aggressive, just get the posters on camera. Anywhere that press or cameras will be- find out who the latest celebrity scandal involves, for example, and make sure you're standing close by when the paparazzi turn up. Or at televised sports/cultural/anything else events.

Perhaps offer a small prize for whoever can get the message across in the most high profile (and legal) place? And we'll all have to become spotters. We can't let the NIMBYs win now.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
When Hoile's report was published, it was implied that for Prescott to say YES, it would increase the likelihood of a judicial review. I believe that the ODPM is putting Hoile's report up for debate as a way of heading this off. I also think that this means that Collyer's and Hoile's reports are contradictory, and Prescott wants to get to the bottom of what Hoile is on about.

Consider this; Prescott has asked us to comment on Hoile's report - he hasn't released Collyer's report and asked us to comment on that. That says something. I believe that Prescott is prepared to say YES, the ODPM just wants to cover its arse. Which in Prescott's case is a lot of covering.

As for the NIMBYs, Prescott doesn't want people to re-state their case, he wants comments on Hoile's report. Hoile has stated we are a provincial club, the site isn't big enough, we don't need a stadium, that Sheepcote Valley is the best site etc. In other words, he went WAY beyond his brief, especially in the language he used. Where is the contribution that can be made by the NIMBYs on these specific matters?

I also think that this is good news. The next question is, with all the campaigning we have already done so far, what can we do next?

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
edna krabappel said:

Perhaps offer a small prize for whoever can get the message across in the most high profile (and legal) place? And we'll all have to become spotters. We can't let the NIMBYs win now.

theres a thread bouncing around with a ton of idea's on, I added the major upcoming sporting events too it last night so we must target these as theres potential new petition sig's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here