Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - ODPM asks interested parties to comment on Inspectors report

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I got a letter from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister today.

It apologised for taking so long to reply, and just said

"A decision has yet to be made. I can assure you that any representations received following the close of the public inquiry will be taken into account by the First Secretary of State... in reaching his decision".

Nothing new, of course, but nice to get.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My analysis of the facts show that

After Public Enquiry - chance of Yes to Falmer 67%

After Holies disgraceful, flawed report - chance of Yes 24%

After the magnificent campaign by the Albion and its supporters - chance of yes to Falmer 69%

Well done everyone

Here hoping.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
26 September 2004, hence my forecasted date ( Falmer Sweep ) for the decision. With the latest delay, this "early" date no longer looks all that hopeful?

Last edited:

And where? If its Brighton expect a YES decision at the Conference and a no afterwards

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
London Calling: Why the NO afterwards?

The Labour Party could use the Labour Party Conference at Brighton to say Yes.

Sorry if Prescott is to say NO, he's not actually going to do it before they arrive or whilst at Brighton.

However Lord B,

the ODPM still functions whilst the Conferences are on. They still prepare press statements for Ministers and Ministers exploit the press for good news stories. For example "Extra Spending on the NHS" two years ago coincided with the Minister of Health or the PM walking around East Sussex Hospital. Blair travelled to a Blackpool confernce on a train a few years ago to announce spending on the railways.

The Government will not want to hold a conference that could be hijacked by lots of protesters ranting constantly over a football ground and it be havoc to the Security.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yorkie said:
Talking to my next door neighbour who works for the local council (and who seems to know a lot about Falmer - designated development land anyway etc etc) he reckons we'll get Falmer but with a reduced capacity.

I was quite astounded how much he knew when I was trying to tell him about our application. ???

He thinks we'll get permission for 18000 rather than 22000.

How can your neighbour possibly say we'll get it with reduced capacity? There are no plans for an 18,000 seater stadium, only a 22,374 seater stadium. The ODPM's decision will be on the evidence at the Public Inquiry and the campaigning since then for a 22,374 capacity stadium. Nothing else.

To get a 'reduced capcity' stadium requires a whole new set of plans, drawings, environment impact assessment, transport infrastucture report etc etc. to be submitted.

Your neighbour is making no sense. It's not Perseus is it?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Large One: is that innuendo?

Rumours from Prescott's office or the regional planning department are about as difficult (or easy if you are brighter than me) as racing tips, and even from a good source they are only about 50% reliable.
e.g. Collyer's Report may have leaked but that is no guarantee that the decision will be the same. Would you put yer money on it?

If it is a "hot" case, surely journalists and politicians would have got some leaks by now? Interpreting them is a different matter.

:drink: :drink:

The suggestion could be on, but the simple expedient of only giving permission fro the attendance of 18,000 or whatever, because the park 'n ride had to be altered to fit in with the AONB boundaries and the capacity had to be reduced or some of the road figures do not add up ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here