Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer & Lewes DC combining to get legal advice re Falmer

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
They were always going to meet at some point to discuss the outcome and to decide on what to do next. I imagine there will be questions as to whether the £100K+ already spent provided value for money for the residents of Lewis District.

There is still a good chance that at this meeting they will decide enough is enough.

This £2M figure keeps being mentioned in connection with Judicial Reviews - is it true though, or just a figure that keeps getting passed around... ?

I'd be very surprised if LDC could find this sort of money, though. If they could, then big questions would have to be asked about how they run their overall budget and what their spending priorities are.

Last edited:

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
If you live in Lewes District then now is the time to put a bit of pressure on the council.

By their own figures, the council spent about £160,000 on the public inquiry. Any more would surely be an even more serious waste of money - YOUR money!

And let's face it, the evidence shows that many more people support the stadium in Lewes District than oppose it. Our petition had 4,958 signatures supporting the stadium from Lewes, the antis' petition had 994. I make that about 5 to 1 in favour.

It's been through a democratic process. They should now accept the result - and the benefits to Lewes District that will follow.

Needless to say, please keep all letters polite.

Really, this is only for Lewes District residents (which includes, East Saltdean, Telscombe Cliffs, Peacehaven, Newhaven, Seaford, Ringmer, Chailey, etc.) There is no point in everyone emailing the council leader or chief executive outside of Lewes because the messages will be ignored - and those from within Lewes will probably also get ignored. So please, Lewes residents only.

Your should write to your own councillor. If you don’t know who your district councillor is, contact Lewes District Council on (01273) 471600 or see
www.lewes.gov.uk/council/1818.asp

Note that some wards (in the towns) have two or even three councillors.

The leader of the council is Ann De Vecchi
Leader, Lewes District Council
47 Southover High Street, Lewes BN7 1HX
ann.devecchi@lewes.gov.uk

You can also try
John Crawford
Chief Executive, Lewes District Council
Lewes House, 32 High Street, Lewes BN7 2LX
john.crawford@lewes.gov.uk

It would also be worth letters to the editors of the Sussex Express and The Argus:
Sussex Express
Temple House, 25-26 High Street, Lewes BN7 2LU
www.lewestoday.co.uk/contactus.aspx

The Argus
Crowhurst Road, Hollingbury, Brighton BN1 8AR
www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/feedback/

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Easy 10 said:
"A spokesperson for the district council said cabinet members are planning to discuss the issue when they next meet at the Downs Leisure Centre in Seaford on November 24. "

Will this be a cabinet members meeting only I wonder ? The fact that its being held at a leisure centre suggests it might be a meeting open to the public perhaps ? If so, we need someone to INFILTRATE it , see where they're going with this, and report back with their findings....

Can I volunteer to infiltrate said meeting?

Can I dress up and have a newpaper with holes cut in it so that I can spy surrepticously?

I alrteady have a 'Clouseau' trench coat and a Burberry molly hat.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
Brighton1 said:
Has anyone got Norman Bakers E-Mail address? I want to tell him to stop wasting my council tax fighting something that the majority of his constituents want and as he is supposed to be ensuring democracy prevails, so what the F*ck is he doing!!!!:angry: :albion:

As this is the District Council it may be worth writing to/contacting the 3 independent members of the Council. They are Ruth O'Keeffe (Lewes Priory), John Fletcher and Andrew Small (Ouse Valley & Ringmer) who might speak up against the LibDem block vote.

It may also be worth reminding them that the Lewes local plan states that it's aims include developing and promoting sustainable tourism & cultural services, supporting sustainable transport links, and supporting the local business community. All of which would be better helped by working with rather than against BHAFC and the Community Stadium development.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
eastlondonseagull said:
Villagers to decide on legal challenge

Opponents of plans for the new Brighton and Hove Albion stadium at Falmer are taking legal advice on whether they should challenge John Prescott's Yes
verdict in the High Court.

A spokesperson for the district council said cabinet members are planning to discuss the issue when they next meet at the Downs Leisure Centre in
Seaford on November 24.

She added: "Members are waiting on advice from
officers before deciding what course of action to take, if any." Both sides have been poring over the Secretary of State's lengthy report into the stadium following two public inquiries.

All this say's is that they are going to discuss it, something that have to do as a council. Personally I think the Argus is just stating the bleedingly obvious, sensationalising something that council will do even if they know they wouldn't chalange it. They were always going to 'discuss' it, due process and all.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Brighton1 said:
Has anyone got Norman Bakers E-Mail address? I want to tell him to stop wasting my council tax fighting something that the majority of his constituents want and as he is supposed to be ensuring democracy prevails, so what the F*ck is he doing!!!!:angry: :albion:

No a google search for 'British MPs' I think it is, that should give you all the details you require.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
LDc were always going to be like this in public, because they don't want to be seen to be giving up on their own flock. The reason why they are taking legal advice is so that it's the legal team that tell FPC to give up and not waste their money, rather than Lewes District Council have to do it.

As usual, ducking away from the issue....

Brighton1

Jun 10, 2004
Newhaven
Dandyman said:
As this is the District Council it may be worth writing to/contacting the 3 independent members of the Council. They are Ruth O'Keeffe (Lewes Priory), John Fletcher and Andrew Small (Ouse Valley & Ringmer) who might speak up against the LibDem block vote.

It may also be worth reminding them that the Lewes local plan states that it's aims include developing and promoting sustainable tourism & cultural services, supporting sustainable transport links, and supporting the local business community. All of which would be better helped by working with rather than against BHAFC and the Community Stadium development.

Here is a copy of the E-Mail I have just sent to Norman-

Dear Norman,

There has been not one, but two public enquires into the proposed stadium at Falmer. The outcome was a yes, so I sincerely hope that at your meeting at the Downs Leasure Centre in Seaford, you decide that enough of Tax payers money has been wasted, trying to oppose it. The opposision of the proposed new stadium you have been engaging yourself in, is in despite of the vast majority of your constituents are pro Falmer.

Do we, or do we not live in a Democracy???

I think my council Tax has risen on average 10% + over the last ten years, that is obviously way above inflation and is having an impact on the standards of living of your constituency. If you are wasting our money fighting things that most want, then I feel you are contradicting everything you stand for. DEMOCRACY!!!

Please do not waste anymore of my council tax.

Yours Faithfully

Nick Jones

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Brighton1 said:

Dear Norman,

There has been not one, but two public enquires into the proposed stadium at Falmer. The outcome was a yes, so I sincerely hope that at your meeting at the Downs Leasure Centre in Seaford, you decide that enough of Tax payers money has been wasted, trying to oppose it. The opposision of the proposed new stadium you have been engaging yourself in, is in despite of the vast majority of your constituents are pro Falmer.

I think my council Tax has risen on average 10% + over the last ten years, that is obviously way above inflation and is having an impact on the standards of living of your constituency. If you are wasting our money fighting things that most want, then I feel you are contradicting everything you stand for. DEMOCRACY!!!

Yours Faithfully

Nick Jones

I sent him a letter like that straight after we WON the last decision. He said that i didnt understand the political process, and it is not up to him to decide whether or not to go for a judicial review.

I hate hate hate politicians :angry: :angry: and NIMBYs :angry: :angry:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
I sent him a letter like that straight after we WON the last decision. He said that i didnt understand the political process, and it is not up to him to decide whether or not to go for a judicial review.

I hate hate hate politicians :angry: :angry: and NIMBYs :angry: :angry:

Which kind of goes back to my last post, they are leaving it to the legal team to decide because they haven't got the front to...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Brighton1 said:

Dear Norman,

Yours Faithfully

Nick Jones

Bit of a wasted effort if it was LDC you wanted to contact. The MP for Lewes is separate from the council you know.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Please read the comments of The History Man - and if you live in the Lewes District act now.

Do not let LDC waste any more money..Write to the Argus...Write to your Councillors...

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Anyone who wants to is allowed to go to a council cabinet meeting. They are open to the public and there's no need for "infiltration".

You won't be allowed to speak unless you get prior permission under the "public participation" scheme. The deadline for applications may well have passed. You're allowed to ask one question, and a supplementary. It's worth some Lewes residents politely contacting the council's deomocratic services department (via its main switchboard number which you'll find in the phone book) and asking about the public participation scheme for this meeting.

If you can't do that, then maybe a picket line outside, eh?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I sent this email to my local councillor

As the decision has now been duly considered by the Dept of the Environment and ODPM and given the go ahead by them, I hope that Lewes district council isn't going to waste any more council tax money trying to fight this.

There are a lot of Albion fans who are voters and will remember this when it comes to election time again.

His answer

I would hope all Albion fans are voters! If not, any such individuals are neglecting their democratic obligations to society. Women in particular should be aware of this, after the efforts of the Women’s Suffrage movement a century ago.

:rolleyes:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Dandyman said:

bounce

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
The History Man said:
If you live in Lewes District then now is the time to put a bit of pressure on the council.

By their own figures, the council spent about £160,000 on the public inquiry. Any more would surely be an even more serious waste of money - YOUR money!

And let's face it, the evidence shows that many more people support the stadium in Lewes District than oppose it. Our petition had 4,958 signatures supporting the stadium from Lewes, the antis' petition had 994. I make that about 5 to 1 in favour.

It's been through a democratic process. They should now accept the result - and the benefits to Lewes District that will follow.

Needless to say, please keep all letters polite.

Really, this is only for Lewes District residents (which includes, East Saltdean, Telscombe Cliffs, Peacehaven, Newhaven, Seaford, Ringmer, Chailey, etc.) There is no point in everyone emailing the council leader or chief executive outside of Lewes because the messages will be ignored - and those from within Lewes will probably also get ignored. So please, Lewes residents only.

Your should write to your own councillor. If you don’t know who your district councillor is, contact Lewes District Council on (01273) 471600 or see
www.lewes.gov.uk/council/1818.asp

Note that some wards (in the towns) have two or even three councillors.

The leader of the council is Ann De Vecchi
Leader, Lewes District Council
47 Southover High Street, Lewes BN7 1HX
ann.devecchi@lewes.gov.uk

You can also try
John Crawford
Chief Executive, Lewes District Council
Lewes House, 32 High Street, Lewes BN7 2LX
john.crawford@lewes.gov.uk

It would also be worth letters to the editors of the Sussex Express and The Argus:
Sussex Express
Temple House, 25-26 High Street, Lewes BN7 2LU
www.lewestoday.co.uk/contactus.aspx

The Argus
Crowhurst Road, Hollingbury, Brighton BN1 8AR
www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/feedback/
bounce

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Seagull73 said:
LDc were always going to be like this in public, because they don't want to be seen to be giving up on their own flock. The reason why they are taking legal advice is so that it's the legal team that tell FPC to give up and not waste their money, rather than Lewes District Council have to do it.

As usual, ducking away from the issue....
Whether there is ground for a Judicial Review was, by its very nature, always going to be a matter for the legal experts.

Can I make one very important distinction here...

Although Lewes District Council is Lib Dem controlled, and Norman Baker is a Lib Dem MP, and the two obviously talk to each other - Norman, in an official capacity, has nothing to do with the council. It's a bit like demanding David Lepper does something about the Council Tax in Hollingbury, for instance.

Therefore, if anyone wants to write in - concentrate your efforts on the Lewes District Council. It will be far more effective and far more constructive. If Norman replies, he will merely say that it is a matter for the council.

I don't recall Lewes District Council openly admitting that they would abide by Prescott's decision, although I know Baker said that he would. I can only assume that LDC put so much faith in the first Inspector's report, that they assumed that Prescott was minded to reject the plan. If that was the case, they were very badly advised - either that or they are totally arrogant and stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here