Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer & Lewes DC combining to get legal advice re Falmer

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Makes it all the sweeter when the bulldozers roll in.I would like to stand on the bridge with an air horn and a few cans the day they roll in.:drink: :drink: :smokin:

Easy 10 said:
"A spokesperson for the district council said cabinet members are planning to discuss the issue when they next meet at the Downs Leisure Centre in Seaford on November 24. "

Will this be a cabinet members meeting only I wonder ? The fact that its being held at a leisure centre suggests it might be a meeting open to the public perhaps ? If so, we need someone to INFILTRATE it , see where they're going with this, and report back with their findings....
Cabinet meetings are open to the public.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Anyone who wants to is allowed to go to a council cabinet meeting. They are open to the public and there's no need for "infiltration".

You won't be allowed to speak unless you get prior permission under the "public participation" scheme. The deadline for applications may well have passed. You're allowed to ask one question, and a supplementary. It's worth some Lewes residents politely contacting the council's deomocratic services department (via its main switchboard number which you'll find in the phone book) and asking about the public participation scheme for this meeting.

If you can't do that, then maybe a picket line outside, eh?
The public are allowed to put questions at full meetings of the Council, but not at Cabinet meetings.

Having (twice) done this, all I would say is that the question has to be worded very carefully ... because the Chairman of the Council will shut up anyone who tries to make a speech. As I found out last time.

What might be as effective is to get a big presence of Lewes district residents along to the Cabinet meeting, to lobby members beforehand.

And, of course, pre-meeting writing.

These are the Members of the Cabinet who will make the decision:-

michael.chartier@lewes.gov.uk
neil.commin@lewes.gov.uk
sharon.davy@lewes.gov.uk
ann.devecchi@lewes.gov.uk
shirley.james@lewes.gov.uk
elizabeth.lee@lewes.gov.uk
sarah.osborne@lewes.gov.uk
david.rogers@lewes.gov.uk
norman.turner@lewes.gov.uk

Sharon Davy, Shirley James and Norman Turner are Conservatives. The others are Liberal Democrats.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Did you see the letter in the Sussex Express Lord B from a LDC resident pledging £100 towards the fighting fund.

Makes me f*cking spew that the snobs of Lewes (i hate this f***ing town !!!) are still endorsing the local council's descision to spend thousands of our cash on fighting something that is 4 miles outside the town and most LDC residents will never see.

Now if JP had given the thumbs up to a huge shopping mall full of antique shops, no doubt the LDC wouldn't be so up in arms.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Dandyman

In London village.
jevs said:
Did you see the letter in the Sussex Express Lord B from a LDC resident pledging £100 towards the fighting fund.

Makes me f*cking spew that the snobs of Lewes (i hate this f***ing town !!!) are still endorsing the local council's descision to spend thousands of our cash on fighting something that is 4 miles outside the town and most LDC residents will never see.

Now if JP had given the thumbs up to a huge shopping mall full of antique shops, no doubt the LDC wouldn't be so up in arms.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Jevs, to be fair there are plently of LDC residents who support the Community Stadium. The key thing at the moment is to let your local Councillor know (politely) that you support the Falmer development and do not want any further LDC money wasted on futile resistance to it.

Uncle Dick has held out an olive branch to the Falmer residents and it is worth LDC being reminded of that and that the club are willing to work with them to ensure any disruption is minimised.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
I urge everyone to write or email the LD Councillors - as LOrd B suggests.

Please a few more minutes of your time - thank you (again!).

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Lets all turn out in our colours for this meeting then?

Our Falmer campaign has been extremly well organised so far, but I for one, am getting tired of the anti Falmer brigade trying to kill of our club. There can be no delay. We won that stadium fair and square, our demostrations and approach has been second to none. But maybe now it's time to start letting people know our patience isn't never ending. There is limits.

Not just a council voting 11-2 in our favour - an inquiry. Not just ONE inquiry but two. Now some NIMBYS think they can take it to JR? They are kidding.

I'm going to that meeting. :glare:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Biscuit said:
Lets all turn out in our colours for this meeting then?

Our Falmer campaign has been extremly well organised so far, but I for one, am getting tired of the anti Falmer brigade trying to kill of our club. There can be no delay. We won that stadium fair and square, our demostrations and approach has been second to none. But maybe now it's time to start letting people know our patience isn't never ending. There is limits.

Not just a council voting 11-2 in our favour - an inquiry. Not just ONE inquiry but two. Now some NIMBYS think they can take it to JR? They are kidding.

I'm going to that meeting. :glare:

Well said, anyone know what time it is? No reason why we cant go along and observe lets hope we get a good turnout.:clap:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
If and when anyone finds out the time of the meeting please let me know............i will be there, and there will be a few beers in the fridge for after!!:drink: :drink:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Lord Bracknell said:
Thursday 24 November 24 at 2.30pm - The Downs Leisure Centre, Seaford
Damn..............i've got no holiday left........i was hoping it would be an evening meeting.:angry:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
bakesy said:
Damn..............i've got no holiday left........i was hoping it would be an evening meeting.:angry:

I'm pretty sure you'll be feeling too unwell on that day to do what your normal day requires of you-I'm also confident that you'll feel remarkably better around lunchtime...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There are far too many people getting involved when it has little or no impact on them.

A family friends husband was moaning about the stadium and how he didnt want football thugs on his doorstep, and he lives in Kingston!! About 10 miles away

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
BarrelofFun said:

A family friends husband was moaning about the stadium and how he didnt want football thugs on his doorstep, and he lives in Kingston!! About 10 miles away

Kingston's not 10 miles from Falmer - it's about three.

The bloke's still a tosser though ...

sussexfatboy

Jan 4, 2005
Hastings
Fron today's Argus

ALBION supporters are telling Lewes District Council: "Don't waste tax payers' money by challenging the Falmer verdict."
The council has spent £207,000 of public funds as the main opponent of the stadium application, which was approved by John Prescott two weeks ago.
It is currently awaiting legal advice on whether or not it has grounds to mount a judicial review against the Deputy Prime Minister's decision.
A decision will be made when the cabinet meets on November 24.
Tim Carder, chairman of Brighton & Hove Albion Supporters' Club, urged fans to bombard the council with polite messages telling them not to pursue a challenge.
He said: "The council has already spent around £207,000 of taxpayers' money fighting a development which a far greater number of their residents appear to support than disagree with.
"After all, in terms of petitions, the figures within Lewes were five to one in favour of the stadium.
"I would advise any resident of Lewes District who doesn't want to see any more public money spent on opposing this popular and beneficial development to make their views known to their district councillors and to the council leader, Ann De Vecchi."
Coun De Vecchi said she and colleagues were looking forward to an informed debate when they receive advice from the council's legal team.
She added; "If we are advised that there are grounds for a challenge we would of course have to consider and take advice on the cost of doing so and the likelihood of us winning before we took a view on how to proceed.
"There is currently no definitive opinion one way or another."
Mr Carder added: "John Prescott has made his decision based on a 62-day public inquiry, taking all factors into account, and the democratic process has run its course.
Lewes should now accept that. In the unlikely event that a judicial review was successful, the judge could only require Mr Prescott to re-examine the way he made his decision and the end result would probably still be the same."
Falmer Parish Council is in a similar position and is awaiting advice from its own lawyer, Charlie Hopkins, as well as Lewes District Council's legal team.
The deadline for legally challenging the Deputy Prime Minister's decision is December 8. A judicial review will only be allowed if there is reasonable evidence that Mr Prescott arrived at his decision unlawfully.
Henry Oliver, head of planning for the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) said although they disagreed with the verdict they would not be mounting a legal challenge at a national level.
He added: "It was an outrageous decision that appears to contravene a number of national planning and environmental policies."

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
£207,000?

Jeez, that's a tad more than £150,000 we've been told about. Doubtless the government public spending committees will want Lewes District Council to come up with some pretty good answers to justify this waste of money.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here