Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - if the Tories get in

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
"It just quietly died, because Bellotti and Archer were never serious about it."

Quoted by Lord Bracknell.

Never trust the Liberal Democrats.There are never any Political foundations to any of their arguements. They always were and will continue to be the" cracks in the pavement" party of local government.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Interesting thread this and to use a Hansen-ism "for me", it underlines how difficult it is to vote for any party if you apply your "Falmer Feelings" to this general election.

This will be the 3rd I've voted in and I'm not a dye-in the wool supporter of any party (have voted for 3 different ones in my time) though I'm leaning right of centre more than left so's to speak. It gets harder as you get older reading their manifestos and deciding, whilst keeping an ever increasing proportion of contempt and cynicism in check - something you inevitably get with age and experience in my mind. I've always believed I should vote because it's a democratic previlage to do so (look at those poor Iraqi sods). But the way Falmer has been used as a political football (pun intended) empitomises just how detached MPs have become from the electorate, abusing their power as public servants without apparent redress. It's like living in a democratic dictatorship at times, talk about the lesser of several evils:

Labour - I hated Prescott as a commuter when he was minister for transport and I despise him even more; £5million on inquiries and an enormous emotive local issue that he gets the final say in and has he ever visited the site / attended the enquiry? Why not? They have the propensity to kill us and I'm v.worried they will post election.

Liberal Democrats - Bellotti and now Norman Baker so don't even go there! It seems a lifetime ago that I sat on a quiet train talking to Paddy Ashdown believing he represented my views.

Tories - A change of government could be disastrious for Falmer and as many have said in Monty Python tones "What have they ever done for us" in the past?

Greens - hmm, unlikely to give Falmer the nod me thinks!

So that leaves us with your local independent candidate which is perhaps the best of a bad bunch this time but which also feels like you've just spoilt your ballot paper. I'm seriously contemplating staying in with the rest of the growing WVP (won't vote party) and watcing Eastenders. Seems voter apathy has at last got me - you're damned either way - at the tender young age of 33, something I'm almost ashamed to admit.

This is an interesting website for anybody who has similar feelings
towards their MP and the GE
http://www.powerinquiry.org/

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lord Bracknell said:
. It just quietly died, because Bellotti and Archer were never serious about it.

If my memory serves me well Greg Stanley once went on SCR after an evening match and said that Toads Hole Valley was totally unacceptable as a sight for a new ground and that had we been there on that particular night the match wouldn't have been played due to fog which is always very bad over that area. He further said that due to the weather there would be many cancelations on that site and the club would have not been able to afford them.

portlock seagull said:
Prescott ... has he ever visited the site / attended the enquiry? Why not?
No he hasn't.

If he had, the planning application would have been CERTAIN to have been thrown out by the High Court, through the Judicial Review process.

The Secretary of State is absolutely forbidden to get that closely involved in a Planning Inquiry. He has to consider the whole of the Inspector's Report, and then take a decision in accordance with planning law. And nothing else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here