Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - if the Tories get in

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
please god dont vote for Mike Weatherly

the man is a complete wanker

"im not your average politican, im friends with iron maiden and pete waterman"

which he says at EVERY opportunity.

if anyone got a letter from him lately you'd have seen it too.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Thank you Hampshire Dave for reinforcing my point made earlier in this thread.

Just as an aside, I wonder how many new football grounds have been built since 1997 in comparison to the 18 years of Tory rule, my bet would be that the difference is massive.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
HAMPSHIRE DAVE said:
Without getting too political here was M.Howard not in Thatcher's
government?
If you want a stadium never vote conservative.
A little story with regard to the above.
In the late 70's just before Maggie T came to power Southampton were all set for a new stadium down by the docks.
The money was in place,the plans were all drawn-up and they were all set to move out of the Dell.
THEN THE CONSERVATIVE'S WON THE ELECTION AND IT TOOK
SOUTHAMPTON OVER 20 YEARS TO GET A NEW STADIUM!
Labour were the party in power in Southampton and the country when the local team finally got a stadium.
Need I say more?
Care to be more specific as to why they didnt get the stadium!
I'll think you will find if you looked deeper it was down to finances, how do I know, my surname is Dennis (go figure)

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The bottom line is 'Who do you trust?'. I'd say we know where we are with Labour, and they will be supportive. we can't be sure with the Tories, but lots of Tory MPs in Sussex refused to sign the EDM - often quoting that they didn't like encroachment within the AONB.

My fear is that with a Tory Government, whatever the outcome of the enquiry, there will be massive local lobbying against Falmer. Bearing in mind that some of these are long-serving and senior MPs I worry that they would be successful.

clapham_gull said:
Mike Weatherley, Candidate for Brighton Pavilion is PRO Falmer.

He can be on our board of directors and have outscored Virgs for us this season for all the good it would do him, he hasn't a f***ing prayer in Pavilion.

But the Tories will win Hove - and good luck to this out gay guy fitting into a Parliamentary Tory party of rampant homophobes - and it's just a case of who gets Kemptown, which is a genuine marginal.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The choice of Tory candidate for Arundel and Southdown made me laugh, but with irony and not any sense of humour. I couldn't give a damn about his sexual preference, it is an irrelevance, however I fear that the electorate in one of the most Conservative (with a large C) areas in the country might not be so modern in their outlook. A cynical viewpoint might consider that the Tories are keen to increase their number of minority MP's, shoe-horning a gay man in via a guaranteed victory is opportunistic in the extreme.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
He can be on our board of directors and have outscored Virgs for us this season for all the good it would do him, he hasn't a f***ing prayer in Pavilion.
l.

id love to believe you...but I have a horrible feeling Keith Taylor's antics from the greens could deprive Dave of needed votes, and you never know, Mike could win.

I hope to the lord he doesnt, as he is a very weak excuse of a politican.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Jim D said:
The bottom line is 'Who do you trust?'. I'd say we know where we are with Labour, and they will be supportive. we can't be sure with the Tories, but lots of Tory MPs in Sussex refused to sign the EDM - often quoting that they didn't like encroachment within the AONB.

My fear is that with a Tory Government, whatever the outcome of the enquiry, there will be massive local lobbying against Falmer. Bearing in mind that some of these are long-serving and senior MPs I worry that they would be successful.

If the tories do get in we can kiss goodbye to a new stadium-guaranteed!

B&H Council (when tory) never did the Albion ONE SINGLE Favour. Remember who it was who allowed the Goldstone site to be a retail park...If they had refused the application the land would have been worth way less than it was sold for: Archer wouldn't have been interested and his little deal with Chartwell would never have happened.

Just about every tory MP in Sussex has been publicly anti-Falmer and the tory councillors in B&H were actively campaigning against our use of Withdean.

Doesn't take a genius to work out that we're f***ed if the tories get in....and not only in a footballing sense!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Bwian said:

B&H Council (when tory) never did the Albion ONE SINGLE Favour. Remember who it was who allowed the Goldstone site to be a retail park...If they had refused the application the land would have been worth way less than it was sold for: Archer wouldn't have been interested and his little deal with Chartwell would never have happened.

Just about every tory MP in Sussex has been publicly anti-Falmer and the tory councillors in B&H were actively campaigning against our use of Withdean.

Doesn't take a genius to work out that we're f***ed if the tories get in....and not only in a footballing sense!
Another misgueded ilinformed wobler

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bwian said:

:clap: :clap:

Spot on (although it was the Tories on Hove council who sold us down the river - the B&H authority was some years away).

The Tories have done nothing for the Albion; never have done and never will do. A vote for them is a vote against the club.

I'm no fan of Blair but we must fervently hope that the Tories don't get in. The club will be doomed (not to mention the rest of the country)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
chicken run said:
Another misgueded ilinformed wobler

I'm guessing that this is English you are using and you mean misguided. I'm not sure what you mean by ilinformed 'misinformed' possibly?...and just what the f*** is a 'wobler'?

Please try and remember that it is a fact that Sussex tory MPs have NOT supported the Falmer bid and have never supported The Albion-NOT ONE OF THEM SIGNED THE EDM!. The tories on B&H council- (when we fighting to use Withdean) campaigned against us. Whereas the Labour MPs in Brighton and Hove have been lobbying for us since the beginning-you clearly have no idea of the amount of 'ear-bending' Caplin has been doing. Surely I don't need to remind you that a neighbouring Lib Dumb is Norman Baker?

The history is there-choosing to ignore it doesn't alter the facts that the tories in Sussex have never done a thing for The Albion. There is only a hint of support for Falmer from tories lately because there is an election on the horizon: try also to understand what the council vote in favour of the stadium showed: Labour was/is fully behind it. Add to that the tory votes against us using Withdean....

Still-you go on believing I'm misgueded and illinformed...:rolleyes: Another vote in safe hands!:shootself

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I will vote Labour simply for Falmer.

5 years later I will only vote Labour if Gordon Brown is in charge.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bwian said:

Brighton & Hove Council has never been Tory-controlled.

The planning permission which ultimately allowed Bill Archer to sell the Goldstone was obtained under the Tory-controlled Hove Borough Council, but it was with the support of the Labour councillors at the time, one of whom was Ivor Caplin. The mistake the council made was to not put the condition in place ensuring the club had another stadium built before permission was given.

Hove Borough Council liked to piss the Albion off on a regular basis. Brighton Borough Council (either Tory or Labour-controlled) rarely, if ever, had to decide on any matters relating to the Albion aside from the odd pie-in-the-sky idea from previous Albion boards.

Last edited:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
TLO

One of the pie's in the sky being Bellotti/Archer's view that the best place for an Albion stadium was Toads Hole Valley...

....hang on a minute

:eek:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Large One said:
That was under Hove Borough Council's jurisdiction.

Fear not - we are not going to Toad's Hole Valley. FACT.

I admire your optimism

Toads Hole Valley failed because Bellotti didn't even bother to submit the required Environmental Impact Assessment or any transport statement with the planning application.

Hove Council never turned the application down. It just quietly died, because Bellotti and Archer were never serious about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here