Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - if the Tories get in

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
What was the Howard Flight thing about, it was about cutting public spending if they get into power, that was one of the pillars of Thatcherism. I know the old cow isn't dead yet but the tories are so bloody thick that they keep wheeling her out at every possible opportunity and are forever trying to reinvent her policies, don't they think the electorate have memories.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Arghhhh!

The Tories back in?

Fortunately,that's a VERY large if.......

One F in Falmer,but no F in Tories!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Did anyone get given one of those leaftets outside the ground on Saturday ?

It wasn't official conservative party literature but some bloke has started a campaign to get our favourite Liberal MP out of Lewes and is encouraging people to vote Tory.

Had a quick chat with him and he didn't seem to be particularly pro Conservative, his argument being that voting Conservative was the best way of getting Baker out.

The Conversative PPC is Rory Love? I think - does anyone one who if he is officially pro Falmer ?

Last edited:

Clapham Old Mug

Aug 6, 2004
Clapham
Don't really understand what happened in Kemptown but, nationally, Hugh Robertson (the shadow sports minister) met Martin Perry at Withdean about six months ago and came away very supportive of Falmer. And, as one of the most genuine and least cynical politicians I know, I think that support will be pretty useful if the Tories happen to win.

In their entire 300-ish year history, can anyone remember one thing - yes, my standards are pretty low, just one thing - the Tories have ever done for football supporters?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
London Irish said:
In their entire 300-ish year history, can anyone remember one thing - yes, my standards are pretty low, just one thing - the Tories have ever done for football supporters?

Were they in power when it was invented? ???

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
London Irish said:

Erm, the selfish materialistic economic environment in the 1980s enabled a peroxide blonde ray ban wearing jacket sleeves rolled self made millionaire to become a chairmen of a certain south london team...

.. which gave Brighton teams a right old laugh ?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
London Irish said:

Banned us all from Europe for 5 years until we could sort out our hooligam problem. That helped to turn the image of football in this country from the presercve of yobs to something the whole family could enjoy

clapham_gull said:
Did anyone get given one of those leaftets outside the ground on Saturday ?

It wasn't official conservative party literature but some bloke has started a campaign to get our favourite Liberal MP out of Lewes and is encouraging people to vote Tory.

Had a quick chat with him and he didn't seem to be particularly pro Conservative, his argument being that voting Conservative was the best way of getting Baker out.

The Conversative PPC is Rory Love? I think - does anyone one who if he is officially pro Falmer ?
There were TWO Tories handing out leaflets in Tongdean Lane.

One of them was Rory Love himself.

And the leaflet was "official". As it says in the small print at the bottom ... Promoted & Printed by James Roochove on behalf of Rory Love, both of Cliffe Business Centre, Cliffe High Street, Lewes, BN7 2AN. James Roochove is Rory Love's election agent.

This is the wording on Rory Love's leaflet ...

VOTE LOVE FOR FALMER

If you live in Lewes, Seaford, Newhaven, Polegate or anywhere else where Norman Baker is currently your MP, remember that he openly opposes the Falmer stadium and will do anything he can to prevent it.

Rory Love will be Baker's opponent. He is 100% supportive of the Falmer stadium.

VOTE for a candidate who'll support the Seagulls - VOTE LOVE

BAKER's ANTI FALMER

Lewes MP Norman Baker has been an open opponent of the new Brighton & Hove Albion ground from day one. His opposition has been a major obstacle to the club finding a home.

At this election, if you live in Baker's area just remember he's always been against the Seagulls and if he remains an MP he'll continue to try and prevent their stadium in Falmer being built.

WANT A NEW GROUND? GET A NEW MP

Can you help?

Please call 01273 473525 if you can offer any help against Baker or email office@lewesneedslove.co.uk

Promoted & Printed by James Roochove on behalf of Rory Love, both of Cliffe Business Centre, Cliffe High Street, Lewes, BN7 2AN

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Can't see the Tories getting in as they're a bigger pile of toss that Labour.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:

The Taylor Report

I can see this becomming Pythonesque.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
London Irish said:
I'm afraid this overlooks how the civil service has changed in the past 20 years. The people who have most influence now are the paid political advisers who are nominally part of the civil service but are, in fact, party hacks. These are the people who really make all the decisions for the minister. They all go with a change of government.

If you have the ODPM filled with the kind of Countryside "save us from the townies" Alliance activists that form the bedrock of the Tory Party's political advisers, all bets are off as far as I'm concerned.

It is a political decision. Ask them if they call at your door!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is this right ?

Inside Brighton, Kemp Town Conservatives dropped their original PPC because he was pro Falmer ?

Outside Brighton, Lewes Conservatives have a PPC who is pro Falmer.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
clapham_gull said:
Is this right ?

Inside Brighton, Kemp Town Conservatives dropped their original PPC because he was pro Falmer ?

Outside Brighton, Lewes Conservatives have a PPC who is pro Falmer.

Mike Weatherley, Candidate for Brighton Pavilion is PRO Falmer.

HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Dec 7, 2004
NR SOUTHAMPTON
Without getting too political here was M.Howard not in Thatcher's
government?
If you want a stadium never vote conservative.
A little story with regard to the above.
In the late 70's just before Maggie T came to power Southampton were all set for a new stadium down by the docks.
The money was in place,the plans were all drawn-up and they were all set to move out of the Dell.
THEN THE CONSERVATIVE'S WON THE ELECTION AND IT TOOK
SOUTHAMPTON OVER 20 YEARS TO GET A NEW STADIUM!
Labour were the party in power in Southampton and the country when the local team finally got a stadium.
Need I say more?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here