Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - Headache for the Old Bill?

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
That ould nave been the away game then, think the thread has lost the plot, too much hair-splitting? Sure that anything laid at their feet, Old bill will deal with it. Another poster mentioned overtime, didn't get a lot in my time, ordinary duty, unless cancelled rest day.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd imagine one of the benefits of having the ground out of town is that makes "management" of supporters much easier.

thats my take, they can veer the away fans into a pub before, then force march them to the station @2:30 for trains or buses. bit like Reading. most away fans would be direct to the gorund anyway.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Christ on a bike, football related trouble is minimal these days, much to the disappointment of some, quite clearly, and the rare moments when problem do arise are always talked up tenfold by the idiots involved, compared to the actual reality (twenty balding, slightly overweight blokes in their forties shouting "come on then" across the safety of a railway track then both sets proudly boasting afterwards on their web forums how they definitely "ran" the other team).

Every other police force deals with it quite adequately, in the main, Sussex will be no different. If it wasn't the case then every major railway station in London would be utter mayhem every Saturday. Which they aren't, ergo most people are perfectly civilised, enjoy a bit of banter, but have no interest in anything other than the football and a beer or two.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well that's it then ... as we are so formally informed there will be no trouble ever, except the (stereotypical - from a cop no less!) 40 somethings giving it large. May as well lock the thread, the word has been spoken. How dare there be any interest regarding safety and security.

Whoooooooooooooooosh :facepalm:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Christ on a bike, football related trouble is minimal these days, much to the disappointment of some, quite clearly, and the rare moments when problem do arise are always talked up tenfold by the idiots involved, compared to the actual reality (twenty balding, slightly overweight blokes in their forties shouting "come on then" across the safety of a railway track then both sets proudly boasting afterwards on their web forums how they definitely "ran" the other team).

Every other police force deals with it quite adequately, in the main, Sussex will be no different. If it wasn't the case then every major railway station in London would be utter mayhem every Saturday. Which they aren't, ergo most people are perfectly civilised, enjoy a bit of banter, but have no interest in anything other than the football and a beer or two.

If any post on here today deserves a THIS! It's this one. So err.......THIS!:thumbsup:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well that's it then ... as we are so formally informed there will be no trouble ever, except the (stereotypical - from a cop no less!) 40 somethings giving it large. May as well lock the thread, the word has been spoken. How dare there be any interest regarding safety and security.

Whoooooooooooooooosh :facepalm:

It must really disappoint you in this day & age to go to a game and find that 99.99% of people there are only interested in the result and having a laugh, and not in seeing who can "win" the battle of who can make the hardest gestures and swear in the most menacing manner from amidst the relative safety of a group of mates. All the while telling themselves that it's the opposing fans who are too scared to make the first move.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
And it must be equally hard for you, a cop, stereotyping people by age, follicle challenge and weight, despite the fact not once on this thread have I advocated violence in any way, shape or form and indeed have said I want nothing to do with it, to accept that someone has a genuine interest in safety and security at football matches, with no pre-conceived idealistics. It's an interesting insight into the thoughts of our law enforcement that they pay no attention to previous statements (posts) and accuse a specific age range of having a particular interest in violence.

It is definitely a case of having an opinion by all means, so long as it agrees with mine. Very illuminating.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
And it must be equally hard for you, a cop, stereotyping people by age, follicle challenge and weight, despite the fact not once on this thread have I advocated violence in any way, shape or form and indeed have said I want nothing to do with it, to accept that someone has a genuine interest in safety and security at football matches, with no pre-conceived idealistics. It's an interesting insight into the thoughts of our law enforcement that they pay no attention to previous statements (posts) and accuse a specific age range of having a particular interest in violence.

It is definitely a case of having an opinion by all means, so long as it agrees with mine. Very illuminating.

Fully agree with Edna, London Blue, I think you are probably one of the aforementioned, living in the dark ages. Did you , by chance go to Charlton by train? At London Bridge supporters from Charlton, Millwall (enroute to Palace) and Brighton, passed each other with no problems. As Edna said, there was no platform to seperate them or to shout from ! Suggest you join the 21st Century!

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Having lived in that area for the early part of my life, I can foresee a couple of potential flashpoints.
Firstly, The Hikers is a notorious BHA pub and will be the second nearest to the ground. It might be seen as a bit of a 'challenge' to some of the livelier away teams (in much the same way as the Duke of thingy pub just off the Holmesdale Road was in 2005).
The other is the opportunity for some of the locals to use the trains coming in to Falmer from Brighton as target practice as they pass through the woods around Lucraft Road, etc, again when the livelier teams are in town. That will be more difficult to police/prevent.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Firstly, The Hikers is a notorious BHA pub and will be the second nearest to the ground. It might be seen as a bit of a 'challenge' to some of the livelier away teams.

Can see this being a MAJOR point ... and i wouldnt fancy many away "lads" to fair well trying to take over the Hikers :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here