Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - Headache for the Old Bill?

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
If the opposition fans look iffy they'll be held back for an hour, just like Cardiff went it was pouring with rain at Withdean, our Police know what to do.

even if the club keeps these types back for an hour will this help that much ??

the club are trying to encourage home fans to stay at the ground to drink and socialize after games.

a recipe for trouble if you ask me

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
The difference some of you seem to be missing is that our ground now welcomes 2,000 (two thousand) away fans, and the ground is an amazing tempter so most other fans will want to come, this is different to 800 tickets for a roofless shithole.

All fans, home and away will be travelling in the same direction afterwards on only 1 mode of transport (train).....(ok, the odd coach too, but brighton and the ground is easy to get to on train).

Also, as poster says above, the club are trying to get fans to stay in the ground after games (to spend more money) and therefore, a few hundred can wait for the away fans to come out.

trouble is very inevitable.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The difference some of you seem to be missing is that our ground now welcomes 2,000 (two thousand) away fans, and the ground is an amazing tempter so most other fans will want to come, this is different to 800 tickets for a roofless shithole.

All fans, home and away will be travelling in the same direction afterwards on only 1 mode of transport (train).....(ok, the odd coach too, but brighton and the ground is easy to get to on train).

Also, as poster says above, the club are trying to get fans to stay in the ground after games (to spend more money) and therefore, a few hundred can wait for the away fans to come out.

It would take several hours to get just the away fans into town by train.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Okay, so haw many bust ups can you remember after 1985 ? We were at the Goldstone still and also in what is now the Championship. Whilst there will be the inevitable minor scuffles I hardly think that riots are on the cards, how do Premier Leagues sides cope ? When was the last row at Blackpool ? What about ANY London team ? Does a Man U verses Liverpool match generate serious violence ? How often can you say there's been real trouble in the Championship aside from a handful of Millwall fans chucking stuff on their pitch ?

Please give some examples.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'd imagine one of the benefits of having the ground out of town is that makes "management" of supporters much easier. I'm not expecting quite a Stoke experience where it felt like they'd even organised your lunch, but I'm honestly expecting the new stadium to rung like clockwork getting fans in and out, albeit with a bit of hanging around for fans.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Think Brighton and Falmer stations could be a real couple of flashpoint areas. Especially post match when everyone is going back from Falmer to Brighton. I did mention on one of the pic threads a couple of weeks back that there are also many vantage points to be throwing missiles from the bridge onto the platform. Going to be interesting to see how well policed and stewarded it is.

Went through Falmer on the train on Tuesday on the way to Griffin Park and thought much the same, but more practically, given the capacity of fans to juice themselves up before and during the match, about toilets.

Have you all remembered that the "new" ((40 year-old refurbished) rolling stock bought for next to nothing by Southern for the Coastway services through Falmer have no toilets? Will there be any at Falmer station? Lewes does have some, I don't know about Brighton though, not too enamoured with the idea of using facilities in your fair(y) city...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
It would take several hours to get just the away fans into town by train.

Would disagree with that, in theory they could come to Falmer station from either Brighton or Lewes directions if coming from the north. Agree Pompey or Southampton could be more awkward, they'd all govia Hove.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Not sure about everybody but I wasn't being sarcastic just making a point based on (in this case) many years of watching Brighton home and away. I can't see why some people assume that just because we have a bigger (and easier to Police) stadium why there will be more trouble. It's doesn't follow as for a start the Police are far more able to deal with crowd trouble than in days gone by. My problem is that some people seem to be looking forward to confrontations which damn near killed the game not that long ago.

It WILL attract bigger away crowds, and we WILL be playing more rivals "if" we go up.

Who the f*** wants to come to withdean for an away day - not a lot.

A new ground at a great location for a lads weekend away is going to attract a lot of people we wont have seen at the withdean away end.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It WILL attract bigger away crowds, and we WILL be playing more rivals "if" we go up.

Who the f*** wants to come to withdean for an away day - not a lot.

A new ground at a great location for a lads weekend away is going to attract a lot of people we wont have seen at the withdean away end.

Once again, read above, we haven't always played at Withdean. Do Blackpool have a lot of trouble ?

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
From memory, we policed the Goldstone / Hove Park / Hove Station pretty well, after being caught napping when West Ham/ Tottingham came down in the late 80's. Started the trend of arriving Friday afternoon ready for West Street in the evening. Not forgetting Chelsea in the ground. Don't anticipate any great problems in this day and age tbh, as someone else said previously, 91 other clubs manage.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Birmingham v Villa, West Ham v Millwall, to name but two more recent high profile games marred by violence. Let's make that 89 clubs?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here