Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer For All Press Release - Early Day Motion Tabled in House of Commons

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I had this reply from Judith Attar, Martin Linton's secretary.

Thank you for your email. The key points about requests or these sort are:
- does it come from a constituent
- is it worded in such a way that parliamentary private secretaries can sign
it

And, yes, sometimes the issue is too local a matter, that is local to
another Member. In this case however there was a principle at stake I
remember from listening to 606.

I have to say I can't find any parliamentary private secretaries in the list
you sent us so I'm afraid the answer will probably be that Martin can't
sign, but we'll be in touch again if he this is not the case.

It sounds like Martin would like to sign the motion but can't as he's a PPS. Thanks, Martin.

Later,

Well it's called payroll but they aint paid! He is aware of the issue, we've
had some other emails on it. He's a mad fulham fan I'm afraid to say.

Judith Attar
Parliamentary assistant to Martin Linton MP

Is there no limit to the fame of this "provincial" club? Albion fans in Battersea :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
West Hoathly Seagull said:
I had this reply from Judith Attar, Martin Linton's secretary.
Is there no limit to the fame of this "provincial" club? Albion fans in Battersea :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
Surely you call it 'South Chelsea?'

(Apologies to the likes of Bwian who will have opened this thread because there was a new post only to find it was a bit of frivolous nonsense)

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Message to Brovian

1) Yes, parts of Battersea are very posh, but nothing like Chelsea. I just find it a thoroughly convenient place to stop on weekdays. Close to Clapham Junction, very easy to get to Westminster where I work, trains straight to East Grinstead. I tend to avoid the yuppies. There are cheaper places to eat and drink if you know them.

2) The point of my post is to show that nowhere in this country is an Albion free zone (or elsewhere).

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
West Hoathly Seagull said:
2) The point of my post is to show that nowhere in this country is an Albion free zone (or elsewhere).
I know, I wasn't dissing your post (as I believe the kids say). Look now I've done it again, another superflous post for Bwian to read.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Charles Kennedy wrote this to me:

"Thank you very much for your email regarding EDM 889 in support of Brighton & Hove Albion FC. Please accept my apologies for the very long delay in replying. I appreciate you taking the time to write to me. Unfortunately, by Parliamentary convention, Party Leaders do not sign EDMs. However, I am glad that a number of my colleagues have already signed the motion"

Not bad in the circumstances!

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
This could have been worse...

Dear Mr Coomber

Thank you for your kind remarks concerning my recent visit to Southampton University.

You also ask about my position on the proposal for a new stadium for Brighton and Hove Football Club, I do not normally sign EDMs in which I am not directly involved, but this does not mean I do not support many of the causes and proposals set out in them. In this instance I have followed the near demise and revival of Brighton and Hove. The proposed site seems most appropriate, and I hope the ODPM will give it the go-ahead. I will certainly make my views on this known to the relevant authorities.

Yours sincerely

Alan Whitehead MP

Southampton Test

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
I don't think it is any coincidence that the Tories have chosen Brighton to hold their spring conference, just before the general election is likely to take place.

Basler

Feb 5, 2004
Basel
Just had the following reply from an e-mail I wrote Charles Hendry (Wealden MP) a few weeks ago ...

Thank you for your email regarding the proposed Falmer Stadium. I apologise for not replying sooner.

You will be pleased to know that I have signed EDM 889 in support for the Falmer Stadium. I agree that Brighton and Hove Albion badly needs to be able to expand its capacity if it is to have a viable future, especially now that they been promoted to the First Division. I have also been persuaded by Rory Love, Conservative candidate for Lewes, of value of the stadium to the area, bringing jobs and allowing Brighton and Hove Albion to expand valuable community programs such as Football in the Community. The concerns about planning, I believe, can be overcome so that the village of Falmer is not ruined.

I am proud to lending my support to the only professional league team in Sussex, and wish them the best of luck in the coming season in Division One.

Yours sincerely

Charles Hendry

:clap:

Last edited:

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Just recieved the same email as Basler.

Good to know that Mr Hendry is not afraid to listen to reasoned debate!!

or should that be Tory MP in u-turn shock

By the way there are now 128 signatures on the EDM
:bounce:

Jul 7, 2003
Ditchling
I managed to meet Sir Stuart Bell MP for Middlesbrough at a museum there, where the Carling Cup was on display this weekend.

I told him about Falmer and he said he does not normally sign EDMs but was impressed when I told him there were 134 signatures and he promised "to have a look at it" this week. I've now sent him an email with moe details so hopefully we may soon have 135!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here