Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer delay......

"Archaeologists have already been sent to make exploratory investigations".

Why the f have these people not been all over the site years ago? Why wait until a month before they start digging?

An archaeological report was submitted at the Public Inquiry. That was prepared on the basis of what is known about the likelihood of any finds being made. It concluded that there was no risk of serious issues arising.

Nevertheless, it is standard practice when ANY construction on a site like this actually starts for the developer to undertake a detailed survey just to check that the conclusions of the earlier investigations are valid.

No developer can do this until after possession of the site has been obtained.

What is happening now is that the Albion are getting on with the job, with an impressive degree of immediacy.

To use this as a way of CRITICISING the Club is RIDICULOUS. It completely misunderstands what is happening.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Yet another delay despite all the earlier promises of 2010. I really despair of the club sometimes.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
The current deal is worth about £38m a year to the Football League, and is split 80% to Championship clubs, 12% to League 1 and 8% to League 2.

This works out as about £1.25m a season to Championship clubs, and £190,000 a year to those in League One. So the difference is just over £1m a year.

On top of this is that attendances in the Championship are higher, and for the Albion I think we could prudently expect gates of 1,000 a match higher than at present. This would give higher income of a further 1,000 x 23 x £15 (£15 is what the club get after travel voucher and VAT have been deducted), which works out as a further £350,000.

Against that is the higher cost of wages at Championship level.

Thanks El Pres.

Wages would be the next problem if we did get promotion then.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It gives Micky 3 seasons to get us up then.

BlueWhite

Dec 28, 2003
I don't think anyone who went to the consultation meeting at Hove Town Hall in the spring, or read about the meeting, will be in the least surprised at this announcement. The wealth and depth of detail and work that needs to be addressed is awesome. No point "despairing" of this club, rather saluting the work done by the people who saved it and are making it safe for the next generations.

Yet another delay despite all the earlier promises of 2010. I really despair of the club sometimes.
We all despair.

But why despair of the Club?

The problem is that there have been so many changes to regulations since the original plans were drawn up that to push ahead with constructing the stadium as it was approved would have resulted in the various regulators demanding changes before any use of the stadium would have been allowed.

Some of these changes need fresh planning permission. This isn't the Club's fault.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
An archaeological report was submitted at the Public Inquiry. That was prepared on the basis of what is known about the likelihood of any finds being made. It concluded that there was no risk of serious issues arising.

Nevertheless, it is standard practice when ANY construction on a site like this actually starts for the developer to undertake a detailed survey just to check that the conclusions of the earlier investigations are valid.

No developer can do this until after possession of the site has been obtained.

What is happening now is that the Albion are getting on with the job, with an impressive degree of immediacy.

To use this as a way of CRITICISING the Club is RIDICULOUS. It completely misunderstands what is happening.

Let just hope we don't find any kind of bones laying around..... :jester:

mongoose

Jul 24, 2007
As soon as its been possible they've got on site. The mk dons stadium was delivered on time and budget but even if there are further delays the breathing space is there with the december date to make sure we kick off the 2011 season there

The current deal is worth about £38m a year to the Football League, and is split 80% to Championship clubs, 12% to League 1 and 8% to League 2.

This works out as about £1.25m a season to Championship clubs, and £190,000 a year to those in League One. So the difference is just over £1m a year.

On top of this is that attendances in the Championship are higher, and for the Albion I think we could prudently expect gates of 1,000 a match higher than at present. This would give higher income of a further 1,000 x 23 x £15 (£15 is what the club get after travel voucher and VAT have been deducted), which works out as a further £350,000.

Against that is the higher cost of wages at Championship level.

The £38M/pa currently is higher than I thought. However, Dick touched on this at the Fans Forum and commented that Championship Clubs will each receive £1.8M from next season.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Will I get a free season ticket for the last year at Withdean under the sale of goods act as I purchased a two year Withdean Waiver ?

As soon as its been possible they've got on site. The mk dons stadium was delivered on time and budget but even if there are further delays the breathing space is there with the december date to make sure we kick off the 2011 season there
Exactly.

And read the Club's press release carefully:-

"The city council have now secured vacant possession of their part of the stadium site at Village Way and the club took over responsibility for it from 29 September".

There are parts of the site that belong to the University of Brighton. Those bits haven't yet been handed over to the Club. I don't think that's a problem, but it highlights how complicated the process is, at this stage of the project.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think this is good news... I now (almost) believe that it is going to happen.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Not criticising the club. Just frustrated by the process.

Misunderstanding the process - yes, apparently I am - but that's hardly surprising given how complex the process is.

I'd understand your over-reaction to my comment if I was a serial criticiser of the club, but I've never been anything other than supportive of the club on most issues.

Why despair at the club? Direct your despair and anger where it deserves to be aimed at: LDC, FPC, Norman Baker and all of the other bastards who are responsible for ALL of the delays. We'd be in there by now if it weren't for them. I'm no expert in construction but it seems to me that the club are doing things as fast as they can considering the stadium has had to have a major re-design to comply with the latest regulations.

Whether you like them or not the current board (and DK and MP in particular) have shown remarkable resilience. Each set back has been met head-on and they've pushed the whole thing forward when others may well have said "F**k it, I've had enough".

I'm as disappointed as anybody but to see people always blaming the club for the delays beggars belief. I'm amazed that the project is still alive considering the finances of the club so a small delay like this doesn't upset me too much. If it were to be cancelled then I'd be as furious as everybody-as things stand right now it's a delay. Construction projects get delayed, our one more than most but look at the reasons for the delays before attaching blame.

Not criticising the club. Just frustrated by the process.

Misunderstanding the process - yes, apparently I am - but that's hardly surprising given how complex the process is.

I'd understand your over-reaction to my comment if I was a serial criticiser of the club, but I've never been anything other than supportive of the club on most issues.

It wasn't meant as a dig at you, TRHK.

More at Dave the Gaffer's comments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here