Lancing By Sea
FFS :drink:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
So it's going ahead as planned just delayed slightly? :thumbsup:

mongoose

Jul 24, 2007
At least we're on site. We've got a contractor. 2010 seemed optimistic and if its ready by the december thats time to get everything right for the kick off

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It could have been a lot worse.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
And there was me recently thinking we are now in a position to finally start attracting players of calibre to the club because Falmer is close enough to tempt them.....and now this FFS! I feel for senior players like FDM, for whom the dream of playing for this club in front of decent crowds in a decent stadium is seemingly less likely with every delay.

:angry:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'll happily take this news and the delay, especailly in the current financial climate.

Also, the club have wisely announced the delay now rather than get on site in December, as promised, only to admit the original timescale was not possible later. That would have looked far worse. A real spanner in the works.

Also a clever bit of PR with the Man City fixture. They could be European champions or the new Leeds Utd by then.

Hey, what's another 12 months when we've been fighting for this for ten years?

mongoose

Jul 24, 2007
And the latter half of the 2010 - 2011 season knowing its ready to move in to could really inspire the team.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I think it will be open by the opening week of the olympics - and earlier than that will be very very forunate.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just want to see evidence of the work starting. A big hole in the ground and a stadium rising out of it. As for the opening date, it opens when it opens. No doubt this won't be the last delay. The archaeologists sent to the site will discover the lost city of Atlantis or the contractors will find the world's supply of great-crested newts or something, anything. That's how it is with Falmer. May as well get used to Withdean for the foreseeable :shrug:

Club Press Release

Posted on: Thu 02 Oct 2008

Delay but Stadium Moves Closer to Reality

Brighton & Hove Albion are pleased to announce they have appointed the contractor who will build the club's stadium - but delays beyond the club's control mean that the stadium's opening has been put back to August 2011.

Chairman Dick Knight explained, "Firstly, I know the delayed opening will come as a big disappointment to our supporters, and I am sorry for that - but it is simply unavoidable.

"This was not a decision that was taken lightly. We were already working to an extremely tight timescale, and factors beyond our control - namely the updated and new planning applications we have to get passed because of new legislation, and timing access problems to part of the stadium construction site - will delay us by several months. Therefore we have reluctantly made the decision to put the project back by one season.

"The delay would have taken us to December 2010 at the earliest, but we cannot realistically move in mid-season, as this would present even more problems and is not practical due to the need for trial 'ramp-up' events.

"It is obviously disappointing, but in a climate where major building projects are being cancelled, we are in a position where the board has the confidence to proceed. This is because of the unique way in which we have structured the community benefits of the stadium, meaning that we are not reliant on the commercial or retail sectors which are suffering badly in the current financial climate.

"Let no-one be in any doubt. The stadium is going ahead and supporters will see us on site by the end of the year. We are making very positive progress. We have this week appointed the Buckingham Group to build the stadium, after a detailed tender process involving other top contractors.

"Buckingham have recently built the highly regarded 30,000 seat MK Dons stadium and members of their team have previously worked on Reading's Madejski Stadium and at Old Trafford for Manchester United.

"This is a major step forward. We now have a very experienced contractor on board who will be working with Martin Perry, Derek Chapman and their team over the coming weeks mobilising their resources and beginning the huge task of delivering our stadium."

Work will start in December on the widening of Village Way which has to be completed before the bulk excavation of the main stadium site can commence. In the meantime, the city council have now secured vacant possession of their part of the stadium site at Village Way and the club took over responsibility for it from 29 September.

Albion chief-executive Martin Perry said, "The appointment of the contractor is the next big step for the project. After all the hard work and campaigning at last work is due to start and Buckingham have the experience for the job.

"They were competing against two other contractors who were also well equipped to undertake the contract, and all underwent a rigorous competitive tender process - but it was Buckingham who convinced us that they are the best team for the job.

"We congratulate them on winning the contract and look forward to working with them, turning our dream into a reality."

Buckingham Group Director Kevin Underwood said, "We are delighted to have been selected to build the community stadium for Brighton & Hove Albion. We are very aware of the club's struggle to get permission to build it, and we understand how important it is to the fans.

"It is a fantastic design and we are very conscious of the responsibility that we have been given to deliver a facility of which the club, the fans, and the city of Brighton & Hove can rightly be proud."

Brighton & Hove City Council Lead Cabinet Member Ted Kemble added, "This is fantastic news. The delivery of the community stadium has been a long standing priority for the council and we have committed a team of senior officers to assist in every way to facilitate its delivery.

"We have been working closely with the club since planning permission was granted in July 2007 and we will continue to do so until it is fully operational. To see this project take another huge step forward is wonderful and we congratulate the club on their commitment and the massive amount of work which we can see they are putting in to deliver it. It has our full support."

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Good news and honesty.

What more can you hope for, sure there is a delay but the important things are work IS starting, a contractor HAS been appointed and would appear that finance isn't going to be the issue we all were starting to worry seriously about.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I've got mixed feelings about today's news to say the least. Another year's delay is pretty hard to take, but on the plus side I've been to the MK Dons stadium and I was impressed. All the seats were padded which was nice!

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
so what if the stadium is delayed we've waited this long another year will not hurt.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
So..............we haven,t even STARTED to build the stadium and it,s already been put back a year..............!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here