Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Confirmation

Stumpy Tim

Cadiz Seagull said:
Happy birthday Tim! It's my daughter Gemma's birthday (who I think you met) today as well - I just spoke to her in Watson's Harbour, she's just finished oysters and lobster for lunch. All right for some!
Let's hope we all get a BIG present in an hour!

I think I've met Gemma - but I was unbelievably hammered with Italia Seagull & have no recollection of the day!

Stumpy Tim said:
I think I've met Gemma - but I was unbelievably hammered with Italia Seagull & have no recollection of the day!

Thats sounds about right - Steve's been living with her for a couple of weeks before buggering off up north in his dodgy car!
have a good birthday, hope you don't spend it all on the net waiting for a decision.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Look, according to the poll conducted by Lord B, most of us thought the decision document would be at least 100 pages long. If you believe Uncle Dick's statement (and I do) this had not been received by yesterday, so someone is obviously now ploughing through those circa 100 pages trying to make it into a press release. Methinks we're being slightly impatient in the circumstances:)

Mr Albion

Nov 7, 2003
brighton
Blimey, when?????? Its 9.30am where's the announcement?

I'm supposedly privilaged to have heard a rumour or two, but argggg! This is agony as I won't believe it until I hear it officially. If it is yes, Labour have three seats in the bag down here and I'll campaign for Prezza if he wants!
Imagine if it is a yes, we should greet our Lord Prezza with the warmest welcome we can muster.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I feel gutted ..... even if proved correct about the timing .... this is not what we wanted

sad day

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Albion stadium plan is shelved

The club applied for permission to build the stadium in 2001
Plans for a new stadium for Brighton and Hove Albion have been shelved, the government has said.
Instead, an inquiry is to re-open looking at seven site options in the Brighton and Hove area.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3928341.stm

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
The decision is YES – provided we can prove that no other suitable site is available. To allow this to happen, the Public Inquiry will be re-opened – to deal with this aspect only. Prescott accepts that the Albion have successfully made the case for a stadium at Falmer.

Despite giving every appearance of being another delay, the decision is EXCELLENT NEWS.

We have to jump through five hoops before we can start building at Falmer:-

1. We have to prove that the development is in the national interest. Prescott agrees that it is.

2. We have to prove that it will bring significant social, economic and community benefits. Prescott agrees that it will.

3. We have to show that any environmental damage can be overcome. Prescott agrees that this can be achieved at Falmer.

4. We have to demonstrate that there is no other suitable site available. Having had to listen to a persistent series of claims by a number of objectors that – despite the evidence at the Public Inquiry – this isn’t finally proved, Prescott is bending over backwards to ensure that all the new evidence is fully tested and cannot be challenged through the Judicial Review process.

5. We have to finalise the finance package before construction starts. This wouldn’t be possible if a threat of Judicial Review hung over the project. The delay could be at least twelve months.

By re-opening the Public Inquiry, Prescott is guaranteeing that he can’t be challenged on the “alternative site” issue. He can give a final YES by the autumn – and the NIMBYs won’t be able to challenge it.

If he said YES today, Falmer Parish Council (and possibly Lewes District Council as well) would certainly challenge it. We’d be hanging on for a year before we could make any further progress.

Today’s decision is Prescott well and truly stuffing the NIMBYs.

Go out and celebrate!!!

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Stoaty Ferret said:
The decision is YES – provided we can prove that no other suitable site is available. To allow this to happen, the Public Inquiry will be re-opened – to deal with this aspect only. Prescott accepts that the Albion have successfully made the case for a stadium at Falmer.

Despite giving every appearance of being another delay, the decision is EXCELLENT NEWS.

We have to jump through five hoops before we can start building at Falmer:-

1. We have to prove that the development is in the national interest. Prescott agrees that it is.

2. We have to prove that it will bring significant social, economic and community benefits. Prescott agrees that it will.

3. We have to show that any environmental damage can be overcome. Prescott agrees that this can be achieved at Falmer.

4. We have to demonstrate that there is no other suitable site available. Having had to listen to a persistent series of claims by a number of objectors that – despite the evidence at the Public Inquiry – this isn’t finally proved, Prescott is bending over backwards to ensure that all the new evidence is fully tested and cannot be challenged through the Judicial Review process.

5. We have to finalise the finance package before construction starts. This wouldn’t be possible if a threat of Judicial Review hung over the project. The delay could be at least twelve months.

By re-opening the Public Inquiry, Prescott is guaranteeing that he can’t be challenged on the “alternative site” issue. He can give a final YES by the autumn – and the NIMBYs won’t be able to challenge it.

If he said YES today, Falmer Parish Council (and possibly Lewes District Council as well) would certainly challenge it. We’d be hanging on for a year before we could make any further progress.

Today’s decision is Prescott well and truly stuffing the NIMBYs.

Go out and celebrate!!!

that aint nuffin like what ive heard mate - i feel sick as a cu*t!
it sounds to me like RIP Albion - f***ing labour asshole

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
On the Left Wing said:
For the doubting Thomas brigade out there:

ODPM press office have confirmed the announcement IS TOMORROW. The findings will be published at 9am.

If you need to confirm it for yourself:
ODPM Press Office: 020 7944 3049 / 8915

BUT BE POLITE
just phoned! the guy said the decision should be made now?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
More from the BBC web site:

Sites to be considered in the fresh inquiry have been listed as Brighton Station; Brighton Greyhound Stadium; Shoreham Harbour; Sheepcote Valley; Toad's Hole Valley; Waterhall; and the Withdean Stadium.

The chosen site will have to be in the Brighton and Hove area and be a realistic proposition for acquisition, according to criteria set out by Mr Prescott's office.

Sites will also be judged in terms of size, development costs, safety and planning issues, transport links, and environmental and visual impact.

The fresh inquiry will also leave options open for considering other suitable sites.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here