Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Confirmation

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
do we all honestly think it is going to be a simple yes?

using all the political tricks in the book i suspect he is going to keep us waiting for just a little bit longer before he says it is definately ok to start building at falmer. he may acknowledge the need for a ground within the boundaries of brighton and hove, but may just put the ball in someone elses court to accept falmer as the only viable option.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm glad I have a day sat at my desk tomorrow rather than in meetings like every other day since I went back to work last week!

I couldn't sleep last night for no apparent reason, so god knows what chance I've got tonight. I could be very sleepy tomorrow, but have a beer up planned for the evening already, so lets hope it turns into a celebration!

The rest of the office won't know what's hit them when we get the big Y E S from Prezzer. :p

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I've always thought they'll be another twist even if it is a YES. Why would it be any different following the Albion?! We haven't even started the funding rows, contractor's being sacked etc. One step at a time though....

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Can I ask a question

Its probably been raised before, but if odpm gives the ok can the Anti Falmer group appeal against his decision to maybe the European courts or something thus delaying the building of the new stadium and forcing the club to part with yet more money for legal fees

Or is his decision the last word

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
shingle said:
Can I ask a question

Its probably been raised before, but if odpm gives the ok can the Anti Falmer group appeal against his decision to maybe the European courts or something thus delaying the building of the new stadium and forcing the club to part with yet more money for legal fees

Or is his decision the last word

No, ODPM has the final say. A judicial review could be called for if it is felt that the decision has been made incorrectly (in the context of the process of how decisions are supposed to be arrived at)- but this is hideously expensive.

Harveys_Hammers

Jul 26, 2004
Guildford
Good luck lads.
:clap:

May 29, 2004
Lancing
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SAY YES!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
Downloaded Penguin said:
Can anyone do an impression of Johnny boy Prescott? :jester:

Secretary: "Breakfast Mr Deputy Prime Minister"

JP: "Cheers luv. Nice baps"

*burp*

*parp*

"Luvly 10 pies, chips 'n mushee peas......ahh"

*Fssst*

*burp*

"Oi! Ya daft Bint, where's ma fukin gallon tup ale?

Ta Love, stick some pies in wi' ma Eccles cakes & sticky buns for elevensies will ya? I'm fukin right starvin'."

*burp*

*fssst*

*parp*

"Oh shit, I've followed through - I need summat to wipe me arse.

I know I'll use EDM 889..........."

:jester:

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Curious Orange said:
No, ODPM has the final say. A judicial review could be called for if it is felt that the decision has been made incorrectly (in the context of the process of how decisions are supposed to be arrived at)- but this is hideously expensive.

Cheers CO

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Really looking forward to tomorrow now!

Looks like the morning will now be spent staring at ceefax with SCR on in the background.

Stadium YES!!!
:clap: :)

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
I'm off to Italy on honeymonn at 10am. What a way to go if it is YESSSSSS!! Best weekend ever?

Just a few further thoughts on the subject of Judicial Review....

It's expensive - if you're Falmer Parish Council and you lose. If you win, you can apply for your costs to be paid by the ODPM.

It's humiliating if you're John Prescott and you lose. If Prescott has any sense, he will do everything in his power to avoid this risk.

If you're the Albion, a Judicial Review of a YES decision (even if ultimately unsuccessful) would delay the start of construction, because you'd find that the financial backers would want to hold back until the uncertainty is out of the way. That could be at least a year.

We must hope that there is no chance whatsoever of anyone successfully applying for a Judicial Review.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
To add to Lord B's excellent summing up.

A judicial review is not automatically granted: a judge has to assess whether the process has been legally flawed, if not, then he won't give leave for a judicial review to proceed.

Only three months ago, a local council did apply for a judicial review of one of John Prescott's decisions (where he over-ruled his inspector). The judge rejected the application on the grounds that Prescott was not legally bound to accept the inspector's decision.

So, if the rumours prove true and the inspector really did rule against Falmer, the Falmer residents should not automatically take that as a reason to launch action against the ODPM if Prescott says 'yes' to Falmer.

Yes, I know I mentioned that on another thread but I thought it was worth pointing it out again.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Gwylan said:
To add to Lord B's excellent summing up.

A judicial review is not automatically granted: a judge has to assess whether the process has been legally flawed, if not, then he won't give leave for a judicial review to proceed.

Only three months ago, a local council did apply for a judicial review of one of John Prescott's decisions (where he over-ruled his inspector). The judge rejected the application on the grounds that Prescott was not legally bound to accept the inspector's decision.

So, if the rumours prove true and the inspector really did rule against Falmer, the Falmer residents should not automatically take that as a reason to launch action against the ODPM if Prescott says 'yes' to Falmer.

Yes, I know I mentioned that on another thread but I thought it was worth pointing it out again.

Am i correct in thinking that if they do get the go ahead for a review or what ever it is called, they have to fund it themselves and if they then lose that, they have to pay our cost as well? If so then surely they will think twice because it is not going to be a cheap process.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here