Falmer Announcement Monday?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
rogue said:
The Wookiee?

Was he seen coming out of an estate agents or something similar:lolol:

I might jest about players coming to our club, but I would never joke about OUR clubs future! :angry:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Heard this now from another source.

This is now getting interesting.

Lord Bracknell, have you heard anything?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm, but I have it on absolutely reliable authority that, although Martin Perry was indeed at a meeting with the Council this morning, it was not about Falmer.

It was about the new park and ride and the extra seats.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
The Wookiee said:
All I said was, Martin Perry has been called to a meeting at the planning office this afternoon, I was asking what could this mean?
I believe it was because they were out of biscuits, and they needed to know whether to get the ginger nuts that were on offer or stick with digestives..........

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I was chatting with someone before the Derby game and it was his opinion, based on a reputedly good source that I am in no position to either confirm or deny, that the decision would be made public during the Labour Party conference.

When you think about what the Labour Party is like, they learnt their lesson from the "bury bad news story" on 9/11, perhaps they want to "release good news" during their conference for an issue that helps that city. I am ever hopeful that this is their plan and month after month of chewing fingernails can end and we can all start to dream realistically of the day we see the stripes run out at Falmer.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Gully said:
I was chatting with someone before the Derby game and it was his opinion, based on a reputedly good source that I am in no position to either confirm or deny, that the decision would be made public during the Labour Party conference.

It's a nice idea, yes... But if you wanted to invite a Judicial Review application from the Antis, on the grounds that Prescott must have been nobbled by behind-the-scenes pressure, you'd have him announce a Yes on Monday. Or during the conference, seemingly in response to a protest march.

That is extremely unlikely to happen.

afters said:
actually, i can see no reason at all why he wouldn't announce a decision along the lines suggested by my learned friend kylie's arse.

we seem to forget sometimes that the falmer issue is barely on the radar of football fans outside of brighton, let alone the general public, and i verymuch doubt if prescott gives two fucks about the reaction of the antis if he's gone through the correct procedure.

if he sees it as good political capital, probably as a throwaway add-on to some comment about labour's involvement in the local communities, then i see no reason why he wouldn't announce a yes on monday.

doesn't mean he will of course...

No, you are missing the point. It would be seized on by New Labour's ememies as an example of the party blatantly capitulating to pressure-group cronyism. If the party's spin doctors have anything to do with it, they will tell Prescott to facilitate a managable gap between the Brighton conference and a controversial Brighton planning decision.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It would be SEEN to be poor timing if it was announced on Monday, even if there was ultimately no hard evidence of political skullduggery.

What must also be borne in mind is that, should it be the case, NOTHING should be read into the fact that no announcement was made during the conference. The timing and the location of the conference has NO bearing on the timing or the nature of the decision.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The Wookiee said:
All I said was, Martin Perry has been called to a meeting at the planning office this afternoon, I was asking what could this mean?

expecting a No to Falmer but "yeah you can have Sheepcote" so he's there to start new plans....

....just pure speculation like...

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
y2dave said:
No chance of it being Monday and a blatant case of guess work hoping to be correct.
what he said

Sergi Gotsmanov

Feb 23, 2004
West of Palookaville
London Irish said:
No, you are missing the point. It would be seized on by New Labour's ememies as an example of the party blatantly capitulating to pressure-group cronyism. If the party's spin doctors have anything to do with it, they will tell Prescott to facilitate a managable gap between the Brighton conference and a controversial Brighton planning decision.

So Labour will not be announcing any decisions on any subject next week then in case it is politically motivated?

This is politics mate they don't care about how the NIMBYs will react.

However, I agree that the decision will be announced after the conference.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Re: Re: Falmer Announcement Monday?

Gilliver's Travels said:
If you wanted to invite a Judicial Review application from the Antis, on the grounds that Prescott must have been nobbled by behind-the-scenes pressure, you'd have him announce a Yes on Monday.

Get real!!

I think you are right GT. I reckon it would look like obvious crowd pleasing.

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
Although he will not make direct reference to the Falmer decision during the conference, I can exclusively reveal that John Prescott's speech contains the lines "On my way into Brighton today, I went through Falmer village...

johnprescott1PA.jpg

...What a khazi!"

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gilliver's Travels said:
It's a nice idea, yes... But if you wanted to invite a Judicial Review application from the Antis, on the grounds that Prescott must have been nobbled by behind-the-scenes pressure, you'd have him announce a Yes on Monday. Or during the conference, seemingly in response to a protest march.

That is extremely unlikely to happen.

Thank heaven for common sense.

I don't want everyone to go into deep depression when the conference is over and no answer received from the ODPM which everyone would then say must be a 'no'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here