Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fake Fans Bore Off. This is like a new beginning...

• Thread starter Deleted member 18477
  • Start date

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
A lot of people i know have moved from other areas and now live in and around Brighton. So they have kept supporting the team from where they are from and support Brighton as a local team that want to see doing well. Now when Falmer finally opens we are going to have the honeymoon period where thee ground will near enough sell-out, i don't know long this will last, probably as long as we are doing ok.

But as soon as this finishes, we are going to need whoever we can get to buy tickets to make the stadium as profitable as possible, be it hardcore fans that won't shut up about the amount of games they went to when we were at Preistfield, or the Arsenal fans that may occasionally want to come and support what is now they're local team.

Either way we have a 22,500 capacity stadium and we need to sell as many tickets as we can.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Like all right-thinking, decent human beings I obviously hate Chelsea with a passion now...

Got to take issue with that as well. They're a legitimate challenge to what would otherwise have been a complete hegemony by Man Utd in the last few years, yet seem to get pilloried for behaving in a way Utd have for some years now with particular vitriol. I simply don't have the antipathy for Chelsea that most people seem to, and would still rather they won the title than Utd any time. But we're digressing, sorry...

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
I suppose I am lucky that I was born in Brighton and still live within the current boundries , unless Adur Borough Council sneakily move their borders two streets the East. But I was always of the opinion that your team picks you , you don't pick your team .
In other words my local team , is my birthright .

I know there are people born in Brighton here whose family originate from other parts of the UK. I know an Albion/MUFC fan whose dad is from Manchester and is a die hard Manc. Got no problem with that . But to the Arsenal fan whose only justification is they were 8th when he first picked them and now they are 4th . Whoopee Doo. Oh and by the way , they have never been relegated from the top division , and they play great football. And while you're at it do you pick your favourite International team as well ??
Maybe that's what I don't get . Maybe people pick a team because of the football they play.

Certainly up until this season that was never a prerequisite to be an Albion fan . It was so much more that .

Excellent post.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
a lot of the problem was because of the dreadful 12 year gap between losing The Goldstone Ground to now, and what annoys me most is Southampton and Portsmouth who compare them selfs to our troubled past yeah right it don't come close, also just went own memory lane when i Google this lol

goldstone ground - Google Search

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I have guilty secret . When I was about 8 or 9 in about 1969-70 we used to play footy after school ,which was run by the school . We were all required to have a coloured shirt and a white shirt so that we could be split into two teams. My coloured shirt was a blue shirt with white piping . As there were no replica shirts as such in those days , it could be taken as any team playing in a blue shirt. As I also wore white shorts and have ginger hair , it soon became an Everton shirt by default of my resemblence to Alan Ball. My mum even bought me the white boots . And yes , I became an Everton fan .

Luckily on 23/04/71 my dad took me to the Goldstone to see us play and lose to Halifax Town . And from that moment , I was cured .

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
Its time for all the fake fans down south to start supporting the local team proper! sick of hearing about people who support Brighton AND man u, liverpool, chelsea, arsenal, spurs etc.

No idea how a southerner can support man u or liverpool anyway.

New stadium, New crest, New era. This is your chance to drop that team you support from your arm chair, get yourself a season ticket at the AMEX, give the club some money in doing so and get behind the Albion from now on!

Come on the Seagulls!

exactly.........i am getting a season ticket for the albion instead of west ham, i now know where my loyalties lie. i always did but its a bit of a family thing, my heart now rules my head, SEAGULLS, SEAGULLS,

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
In about an hour and a half's time I will be using one of my +3's to buy a season ticket for an Arsenal supporter. Is that allowed?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Be interesting in a few years asking how many went to Gillingham and how many were season ticket holders at the Goldstone/Falmer etc?

Like always I'm sure if added it would amount to over 20 000 a game. Like Chelsea supporters purporting to be life long supporters blah blah blah. Seem to remember a game up there between us in the old 2Nd div with only 13 000 present, one of their highest figures for the season.

burstead

Not a Registered User
Jul 24, 2010
it's a well known fact that people who support a prem team over their home team would gladly trade in their own parents for celeb parents.

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
I think it's just a case of bad up-bringing. When your sad parents are glory hunters i guess it make you follow the same team.

Mine did'nt like sport fullstop so it was'nt until i was a driver and went to the goldstone ground (and paid at the gate)

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
In about an hour and a half's time I will be using one of my +3's to buy a season ticket for an Arsenal supporter. Is that allowed?

There's nothing wrong with a little education. Sounds like you're doing him/her a favour!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Obviously not golf fans in our club, they had the opportunity to make these plus 4's and yet they settle with plus 3's...no sense of humour I tell you...

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Christ even if we had 50k a week will would still have the usual gooners and yids etc around,these are not really football fans just people who want something to cling onto:)

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
What about people that don't have a local league/professional team (or didn't as they grew up)? What about those that grew up with parents that didn't encourage them to support anyone?

If my dad had showed me the Albion as a kid I would never have become an Arsenal fan... but then he's a very casual football fan and doesn't go to any matches. I've pretty much adopted Brighton of my own accord since I started going to games occasionally.

I think it's difficult to care about any FL club no matter how local unless you start going to their games and appreciating live football. Until then kids growing up are just going to go down the easy route of picking the most appealling and convenient top Premier League side. It's not always their fault.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
2nd team followers, and I mean avid fans of not soft spots for, are absolute lowlives in my book. And the worst kind? Patronising premiership ones. They could always have a non league team as their 2nd clubs instead of arsenal or chelsea. But hey not so much glory to attach yourselves to is there eh, turncoats?! Splitters...I spit on you all from the moral highground I occupy, my battle colours draped with Hereford,priestfield and so forth, not just old trafford villa park wembley and millenium stadium. I was there when it counted. You who deserted or have just climbed aboard hms bandwagon will never be able to look us, the few, straight in the eye and say the same. For us, immortality is secured. May you all be cast into the fires of corporation Sky and suffer death by a thousand televised bore draws.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I think he may mean fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club - or alternatively he's being racist.

Not being local, I have been devastated at Liverpool's recent return to form, as I was looking forward to playing them and Everton next season.

Revilop

All aboard the Gus bus!
Jul 13, 2010
Worthing, West Sussex
Ive been an avid supporter of Arsenal for the last 15 years, and will continue to be an avid supporter of Arsenal FC. Im currently a season ticket holder at Withdean, and have my presentation at the Amex next friday for my season ticket there. I dont see a problem with this at all. I consider myself to have a 70-30 view, (arsenal - brighton), but that 30% recieves support home and away, rain or shine, win or lose. I see it that if people are paying there money to come and watch the Albion, then let them be, i bet atleast 30% of the capacity at every home game supports another club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here