Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Facundo Buonanotte **On Loan To Leicester 10/08/24**

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I don't think we're selling Buonanotte, I think we're getting him ready for a bigger role in the team from next season onwards.
Future proofing ourself with Buonanotte, Osman, Yalcouye, Barco, Cozier-Duberry, and others ready to join the team next year. The new contract as part of Buonanotte's loan clearly shows we want him back here.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just watched the MOTD highlights. Fantastic goal. & looked to be involved in lots of other good attacking play. Well done him.
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, the better he does in this division for a direct competitor, the more we shoot ourselves in the foot. Note to club: other leagues are available for loanees :rolleyes:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, the better he does in this division for a direct competitor, the more we shoot ourselves in the foot. Note to club: other leagues are available for loanees :rolleyes:
Leicester took points off Bournemouth on Saturday, and it's the latter that's the likelier direct competitor than the former. The more points Facundo helps Leicester accrue, the more points taken off our direct competitors.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, unless you are worried that we are going to finish below Leicester (in which case a LOT more will have gone wrong than the decision to loan FB out) this actually isn't true at all.

The truth (ASSUMING we finish above Leicester), is that the better he does for them AGAINST our direct competitors, the more it is to our advantage.

His goal at the weekend secured three points for Leicester, and meant Bournemouth got NO points. Which of those do you think is more likely to ultimately impact where we finish in the PL table?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm another one who disagrees with you I'm afraid.

I think the nub of this is that for this season, Leicester aren't a "direct competitor", or at least shouldn't be. Our direct competitors are probably West Ham, Newcastle, Spurs, Fulham, Bournemouth, Man Utd and Nottingham Forest. If Goodnight can help take points off those teams while getting up to a level that allows him to walk into our squad next season, then it's an absolutely perfect loan.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Leicester took points off Bournemouth on Saturday, and it's the latter that's the likelier direct competitor than the former. The more points Facundo helps Leicester accrue, the more points taken off our direct competitors.
Sloppy thinking. Who knows where Brighton/Leicester will end up at end of season. Doubtless won't be a relegation issue. Nor a likely European place issue. But looking beyond that, every single EPL finishing place is worth, dunno, £1.5m or something. Could end up being a costly totally avoidable mistake

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sloppy thinking. Who knows where Brighton/Leicester will end up at end of season. Doubtless won't be a relegation issue. Nor a likely European place issue. But looking beyond that, every single EPL finishing place is worth, dunno, £1.5m or something. Could end up being a costly totally avoidable mistake
It's not sloppy thinking. How on earth can this be a costly mistake? He can't play against us, so there is no way he is going to negatively influence our league position unless it turns out he is better than anyone we have in that position. The decision was made that we couldn't guarantee him a place in the side, yet we decided to keep him happy by loaning him to a "lesser" (for now) Premier league side. I can't see how it can possibly pan out badly for us.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It isn't sloppy thinking, at all. The club will have done serious thinking and analysis, before committing to this loan. They feel that the risk (of your suggested outcome) is far outweighed by the benefits (primarily the progression / development of Facundo Buonanotte as a footballer). Of course that development also has a financial aspect to it - even if a Facu-propelled Leicester did by some miracle push us down one PL place (that's worth £3.5m btw), his own value will have increased by multiples of that, so Bloom still wins.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If he does *that* well, he either comes back to slot into the first team, or gets sold to the highest bidder for a facking fortune (I'm looking at you, Chelsea Todd).

A win-win situation for the club. IMO, like.

His form is great to see, assume it's season long and no Jan recall option?

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
He's going to come back next season and be a first team player. He's still a very young man but he's already proven he produces in the Premier League. I remember him scoring at Forest and all the jokes that we're blooding players who didn't even exist before the game in which they played and produced something tangible.

I think Facu Goodnight is a top player and in a couple of years we're going to be fighting off interest. The only surprise for me was loaning him within the PL, but it's a huge benefit for us longer term.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
The club's summer spending spree clearly had one eye on some outgoings next summer. We bought a lot of young wingers and forwards for the conveyor belt.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a few of Mitoma, Estupiñán, João Pedro, Enciso, maybe even Baleba if he continues like this, head out the door.

Buonanotte will have his chance next season.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It isn't sloppy thinking, at all. The club will have done serious thinking and analysis, before committing to this loan. They feel that the risk (of your suggested outcome) is far outweighed by the benefits (primarily the progression / development of Facundo Buonanotte as a footballer). Of course that development also has a financial aspect to it - even if a Facu-propelled Leicester did by some miracle push us down one PL place (that's worth £3.5m btw), his own value will have increased by multiples of that, so Bloom still wins.
Unless Leicester really kick on and knock us out of a Champions League position. Have the club even considered this possibility?!?!?!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Leicester aren't a direct competitor yet.
Having a stronger EPL team that will be weaker when they play us, than wehn they play most other teams, is a pretty good idea.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Also factor in most/all wages being paid and possible loan fee

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why? Playing in the PL means he'll be more 'PL ready' if and when we take him back into our first team squad - and if he does well in the PL, his re-sale value will sky-rocket compared to what it would rise to if he was playing in a lower division.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Do you really think Leicester will be competing with us for a league place this season? I could be proven wrong of course, but I think there will be clear daylight between us (interesting point, though - did we loan Facu out in the belief they were going to get a points deduction?).

Another way of looking at it is if he becomes their star man and scores some crucial goals against teams we ARE in competition with (say, for a European place) then it would be very good business indeed.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yep, if only we’d have known there were other leagues available when we loaned out Barco, Osman, Youlcaye, Scherpen, and Sima. Must do our research better.

You’ve got a wierd take on this that no one agrees with - it’s quite clearly a win win loan for us.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It just shows how far we've come, to be able to lend our fringe/young players out to other PL teams. Ten years ago it would have been unthinkable, or even five years ago (neither Duffy nor Ryan were development loans). I think it's great - pity we couldn't have done the same for Rushworth!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here