Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabian Hürzeler **SINGED 15/06/2024**

Would Fabian Hurzeler be a good replacement for RDZ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The point that is being made - that I was making (and to which @Hiheidi was agreeing ) was that they were Schultz’s coaching staff that didn’t leave when Schultz was sacked in December 2022. FH was promoted with that coaching team already in situ.

With older Coaches they tend to have a team they generally take with them when they move that is replaced by the new Coach’s team - there will be hard negations by both FH and Brighton to move a pre-existing coaching team that was at St Pauli when FH took over - especially since he’s only been in charge for 18 months. They may see hanging on to the coaching staff, especially FH’s assistant coach, is their only way to avoid their first season in the Bundesliga from ending in relegation again.
Budget shouldn't be a deciding factor. It might be handy if he has lined up some contacts from his Bayern days.

Looking left of field for inspiration/tenuous links Uwe Hünemeier is assistant coach at FC Paderborn. Mark McGhee played at Hamburg probably before Fab was born.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I disagree. He was under a contract at Brighton. Whilst he might have not got a job in the coaching staff I find it hard to believe the club would have sacked him.
Hmmm...so stay with a lot of "probably" and "hard to believe" and "might not be in the coaching staff", or leave for a definite, defined job and more money...

Yeah I can't believe he didn't want to stay.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am not suggesting anything. I am just making a point about how I see things. This guy has just signed a two year contract, making their fans happy, and is now looking to leave. OK, he has some get out clause but that’s no help to their fans. If that was us we’d be going apeshit.
I think some people are missing the spirit of your comment. Yes of course it's a hard old world out there, and we are doing nothing wrong at all, but... It's just a shame that he's plucked away straight after their best season in over a decade.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Hmmm...so stay with a lot of "probably" and "hard to believe" and "might not be in the coaching staff", or leave for a definite, defined job and more money...

lol - I don’t disagree with the logic… however, if he meant it when he said “once and always…” 🤢 then he should’ve stayed… I’m willing to bet he wishes he’d stayed… just a little bit… especially now he’s living in Potters shed, cleaning the pool with wee Bjorn and big Billy.

Once a mercenary, ALWAYS a mercenary.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I am not questioning his decision at all. I'm merely saying his loyalty is now questionable.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
He also said “once a seagull…”. He was a great servant to the club but to say this as then bugger off when the first offer came sours this.
Surely that quote just means they will always love the club whatever they do in the future. I’m sure his feelings about BHA haven’t changed and he still does love the club

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
lol - I don’t disagree with the logic… however, if he meant it when he said “once and always…” 🤢 then he should’ve stayed… I’m willing to bet he wishes he’d stayed… just a little bit… especially now he’s living in Potters shed, cleaning the pool with wee Bjorn and big Billy.

Once a mercenary, ALWAYS a mercenary.
Hindsight is always 20-20, so yeah, I'm sure he wished he'd just stayed. He might even have stepped straight in the head coach role saving us the whole rigmarole of this manager search.

But I don't think leaving was mercenary. He has to earn a living a support his family too.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I like this blog article. Forget the tabloid headline, it's a decent read.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Hindsight is always 20-20, so yeah, I'm sure he wished he'd just stayed. He might even have stepped straight in the head coach role saving us the whole rigmarole of this manager search.

But I don't think leaving was mercenary. He has to earn a living a support his family too.
Now come on, he’ll have been on a very, very decent salary here - I suspect not far off his final salary as a player… I’m sure he could support and feed his family well enough… and if he’d been ‘sacked’ he’d have been on a very decent severance package accordingly… I say again, I strongly suspect Roberto would have respected his loyalty and seen value in retaining Bruno on the staff… he bet on the wrong horse, plain and simple.

As others have said there is no loyalty in the game, I guess in this case: be judged by your actions, especially if you declare your affinity with a club you leave on a whim… albeit a hefty financial whim.

Anyway, he won’t be back - Potter will doubtless take him on his next jaunt.

Last edited:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I'm just so happy that under Bloom we've never really gone for the old British dinosaur merry-go-round;

Pulis
Moyes
Warnock
Allardyce
Holloway
Hodgson
Redknapp
etc

Who are the new versions of these same old same old always get a job despite being mostly utter rubbish (that I think we will keep eschewing)?

Lampard? Gerrard? Rooney? Sherwood? Pardew?
Not sure why you are so down on Lampard - he must be on a par with Sir Alf having just led England to a stunning victory over the Rest of the World

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Straight from the horse (OBE)'s mouth at about 22 minutes:

"The particular frustration for me on that day was that it wasn't just Graham and his immediate staff, it was probably what our intermediate plan was as well, which was Bruno and Ben Roberts to take charge should this eventuality happen, on a short term basis until we'd got our new manager in place, but Bruno and Ben were going with Graham."

Seems to me that all of this speculation of assurances that Bruno and Roberts may or may not have been given by Barber and the club have little basis. As Barber tells it, there seems to have been very little opportunity for any promises to be made, or assurances about long term employment to be sought. They were gone with Potter.

I'd just add that Bruno's tearful goodbye on social media said nothing about discussions with the club about staying and that when Chelsea gave Potter the bullet, Reid and Hamberg went, but Bruno stayed and was caretaker.

I've absolutely no problem with forgiving him for seizing the big opportunity when it came, but let's stop beating up the club for the decision. Had he any doubts, there would presumably be some record from one side or the other of his asking the club what would happen if he said no. I haven't found any.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not sure why you are so down on Lampard - he must be on a par with Sir Alf having just led England to a stunning victory over the Rest of the World
Better than Poch, that's for sure.

Ending 6 years of hurt, stunning stuff.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton

Interesting read, thanks!

Thought this article from the same blog on FH’s tactics was a good read too:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

“This was followed by a tingling between the second and third league and a new stadium, also thanks to Attila the Stockbrocker

I don’t remember much tingling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here