Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabian Hürzeler **SINGED 15/06/2024**

Would Fabian Hurzeler be a good replacement for RDZ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I genuinely think most of his yellows were refs just trying to mark their territory. I don't wanna go all conspiracy theory about it but it sure as f*** felt like they saw a young coach and thought let's take him down a notch before he gets any ideas. And once he had two or three he was seemingly under even more scrutiny from refs cause now he had a reputation.

It got a bit ridiculous. The opponent's coach running into our coaching zone but Hürzeler getting the only yellow levels of ridiculous. He's passionate for sure but he's not gonna throw hands or anything.
Cool Avatar my friend, I’m sure he’s going to get on just fine with our lot of refs who like to help the big boys of the league out more than they should.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
they are probably understandably pissed off, but that doesnt make our hiring of Fabian in anyway similar to Chelseas attempted destruction of the management, playing, and recreuit,ent set up at Brighton

How is any team going to recruit players, managers, coaches etc if the DONT hire people already employed somewhere else-the entire football structure would simply stop!

Its not THAT the hired GP et all, its how and when they did it. Had they approached Potter after the end of the previous season (as we did with Fabian) and went through the usual process of hiring him and others, then whislt we would have been pissed off(as ST Pauli fans are), threre wouldnt be the same level of hatred and disdain for GP, Chelsea

Brighton arent the bad guys here, they have done nothing underhand, or morally wrong
Exactly. Unfortunately, all clubs are feeder clubs until you reach the very top. What Potter and his team did to us was unforgivable, we got frigging lucky, had it not been for the invasion of Ukraine we would have been f***ed. As soon as St Pauli were promoted their manager was a target. At least they have the time to find a replacement and by the sound of it we were relatively generous with the compensation. I feel for St Pauli but this is how the modern game works, it's more than likely that we will face the same situation in a couple of seasons.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I just read an article by Andy Naylor based on an interview with Jackson Irvine captain of St Pauli. By the sounds of it FH is very similar in his approach to RDZ. As Irvine says when learning how to play out from the back Brighton was the team they studied the most. With Arsenal and City being the main examples of how to defend. Mind you on the possible downside like RDZ, his training sessions are hard work, they train like they play so we could be in for another season racked by injury, hopefully, the new medical team can ameliorate this. As to being young Irvine was very impressed at how he went from being one of the approachable friendly coaches to creating the distance needed for the head coach. As Naylor says "The longer you speak to Irvine, the easier it is to appreciate why Brighton have, on the face of it, taken a big risk by appointing Hurzeler.......................................In that sense, Hurzeler is not so much of a risk but a natural next move."

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Exactly. Unfortunately, all clubs are feeder clubs until you reach the very top. What Potter and his team did to us was unforgivable, we got frigging lucky, had it not been for the invasion of Ukraine we would have been f***ed. As soon as St Pauli were promoted their manager was a target. At least they have the time to find a replacement and by the sound of it we were relatively generous with the compensation. I feel for St Pauli but this is how the modern game works, it's more than likely that we will face the same situation in a couple of seasons.
Ehh based on what? There is absolutely nothing suggesting Roberto De Zerbi would be the only one capable of coaching that set of players.
He has to get Pervis, Barco, and Mitoma playing in the same side.
...why?

Fiskmås

haven't seen this posted elsewhere:

Uwe talks about facing Fabian as a Paderborn assistant this season (from about 25 mins in)

Really interesting that, especially the bit (starting after the 43 minute mark somewhere) about needing a player that switches from CB to holding midfielder when out and in of possession, and needs to be equally excellent in both slots. There aren't many of those around at the top, top level, are there?

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Just a mild disagreement on a couple of points:

We were indeed “lucky” RDZ was available at the time but we would have had other options at the time, so disagree we would have been “fcuked”. We’ve moved on from the days of Dick Knight sacking Micky Adams and us ending up with Russel Slade because no one else apparently wanted to manage us (which turned out fine) - we are an established EPL Club and probably the best run one in the League - that will never leave us without options.

Hürzeler was targeted by us and others long before May this year when he got FCSP promoted - he was already attracting interest in the Bundesliga after getting FCSP to a 5th place finish in 2.Bundesliga in 2022/23 - we have been watching him for 18 months.

Hürzeler is very much the new ”Potter” with some St Pauli fans posting on the SP forum and I can understand how they feel. No, it’s not the same as being dumped when the season has already started but for many St Pauli fans it is because they had just finished celebrating their promotion with the system Hürzeler built (they have also lost Hartel who was not only their top goal scorer but the equivalent of us losing MacAllister) and now face rebuilding the squad and replacing the coaching staff that Hürzeler brings with him. That could severely impact on whether they stay up next season in the Bundesliga. I am glad that we compensated them well which will help them move on.

I think it’s fine for them to be plssed without us minimising how they feel by saying we had it worse when Potter walked out.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Really interesting that, especially the bit (starting after the 43 minute mark somewhere) about needing a player that switches from CB to holding midfielder when out and in of possession, and needs to be equally excellent in both slots. There aren't many of those around at the top, top level, are there?
There really isn’t.

I’ve seen posters on here saying we have players that could do it but I think they are really underestimating how good you’d need to be to play that role in the PL.

I think there’s three options.

Option A) he tries to develop someone we already have to play that role (I genuinely don’t think anyone we have is currently suited to it), which could take a long time and would likely mean suffering results wise.

Option B) we sign someone specifically for that role. I have no idea who this could be, but I’d suggest the profile requires someone with years of experience operating as a defensive midfielder with extremely high positional intelligence.

Option C) he develops a different tactical set-up which doesn’t require this role.

Personally I hope it’s option B, but the way our club works I fully expect it to be option A. Then if it’s not working with whoever gets picked in that role, we’ll move to option C.

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
True. Though I'm confident that every CB we have would look better in midfield than TAA.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Maybe a suitable role for Jakub Moder, unless he's shipped somewhere. Potter mentioned Moder could play CB but never happened IIRC, but should mean he has at least got some training in the role.

But given that 1 or 2 CBs are likely to come in, maybe those signings would be targetting this kind of player. It doesn't need to be expensive and it doesn't need to be someone established... just the right guy.

I'm thinking someone like Hayden Carter or Ethan Ampadu. Or in the more expensive bracket, Levi Colwill who should be able to learn that role quickly.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
“If De Zerbi was all about winning with a specific style and Potter was all about being tactically flexible, then Hürzeler is somewhere between the two.”

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Just a mild disagreement on a couple of points:

We were indeed “lucky” RDZ was available at the time but we would have had other options at the time, so disagree we would have been “fcuked”. We’ve moved on from the days of Dick Knight sacking Micky Adams and us ending up with Russel Slade because no one else apparently wanted to manage us (which turned out fine) - we are an established EPL Club and probably the best run one in the League - that will never leave us without options.

Hürzeler was targeted by us and others long before May this year when he got FCSP promoted - he was already attracting interest in the Bundesliga after getting FCSP to a 5th place finish in 2.Bundesliga in 2022/23 - we have been watching him for 18 months.

Hürzeler is very much the new ”Potter” with some St Pauli fans posting on the SP forum and I can understand how they feel. No, it’s not the same as being dumped when the season has already started but for many St Pauli fans it is because they had just finished celebrating their promotion with the system Hürzeler built (they have also lost Hartel who was not only their top goal scorer but the equivalent of us losing MacAllister) and now face rebuilding the squad and replacing the coaching staff that Hürzeler brings with him. That could severely impact on whether they stay up next season in the Bundesliga. I am glad that we compensated them well which will help them move on.

I think it’s fine for them to be plssed without us minimising how they feel by saying we had it worse when Potter walked out.
The only disagreement we have is just how lucky we were to get RDZ, admittedly I am just speculating here but I doubt there were many quality coaches available ( if any) at that point in the season. As to St Pauli fans being pissed, sure it's f***ed that we poached FH in the off season, I have said this numerous times, even saying I hope TB does the right thing and gives them a decent compo package, buts that's the business these days, what happened to us 7 weeks into a season however is on a different level. That being said it showed just how calculating TB and PB are, we had instant caretakers in the senior squad with Lallana, Dunk and Welbeck and RDZ was here in a flash.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Ehh based on what? There is absolutely nothing suggesting Roberto De Zerbi would be the only one capable of coaching that set of players.

...why?
Simply because I think it's reasonable to assume that the decent managers have either signed new contracts and/or are set with their clubs at that point in the season. And especially so as RDZ was such a perfect fit to carry on from where Potter left. Lastly having RDZ available ready to go meant we didn't have to wait weeks trying to do a deal to prise someone away

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The only disagreement we have is just how lucky we were to get RDZ,
We were not in disagreement on that point - I just don’t agree with your assertion that we would have been ‘fcuked’ if he wasn’t. Yes RDZ was a ‘perfect’ signing to carry on from Potter as Hürzeler is (imo) to carry on from RDZ, but you also don’t know who else the Club had on its succession list at the time and are presuming that RDZ was the only available possibility.

Decent Managers frequently get sacked mid- season, so will be available (6 sacked during last season in the EPL). It doesn’t take long to ’prise’ a manager away from his existing Club either if the offer is lucrative for the target - Potter is testimony to that - Tuchel is sacked on the Wednesday, Potter packs his bags and leaves 24 hours later on the Thursday.

Simply because I think it's reasonable to assume that the decent managers have either signed new contracts and/or are set with their clubs at that point in the season
It’s often immaterial if a manager ( or player) on our succession list has signed a new contract or that they will all be in current employment - it just makes them more expensive, it doesn’t stop them leaving if the offer is attractive enough. Hürzeler signed an extension in March to 2027.

As for all “decent” managers being employed, Afaik there are quite a few known top flight managers, including Potter that have been out of work recently, including:

Zidane
Tuchel
Lampard
Steve Cooper
Benitez
Niki Kovac
Joachim Low
Moyes
Conte
Potter
Mourinho

And likely a few we have not heard of.

Last edited:

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
It doesn’t take long to ’prise’ a manager away from his existing Club either if the offer is lucrative for the target - Potter is testimony to that - Tuchel is sacked on the Wednesday, Potter packs his bags and leaves 24 hours later on the Thursday.

Zidane
Tuchel
Lampard
Steve Cooper
Benitez
Niki Kovac
Joachim Low
Moyes
Conte
Potter
Mourinho

And likely a few we have not heard of.
Firstly we don't have the squad or financial draw of Chelsea, which given the reporting is why we couldn't keep RDZ and secondly of those managers on that list who we could afford I don't think there is one I would be happy with us signing.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Firstly we don't have the squad or financial draw of Chelsea, which given the reporting is why we couldn't keep RDZ and secondly of those managers on that list who we could afford I don't think there is one I would be happy with us signing.
Well quite, I have heard of them all, this is not a good thing when we are looking for a manager these days :smile:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
He had several years left on his contract and keeping him wouldn't have been a problem in that sense. The club didn't want him to stay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here