Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabian Hürzeler **SINGED 15/06/2024**

Would Fabian Hurzeler be a good replacement for RDZ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
OT but does anyone know why St Paoli just have ST PAOLI on the back of their shirts?
They definitely had names in the past and I can't find answer elsewhere (and haven't tried very hard)
Only a guess but I think it could be since they took over the production of their own shirts a few years ago with the target of making it the most sustainable in the world. Maybe producing shirts with specific names isn't seen as optimal from that point of view.

Edit: Saw Zederbis post above so thats my theory out the window. Strange I didn't really notice it when watching a bunch of Pauli last few weeks.

But its a good setup then. Club name on top, player name more hidden. Good stuff.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
They do but it’s in smaller print at the bottom under the number and under “St Pauli”

It seems to be a trend (maybe even a requirement) in the German leagues to have the name of the team on the back in addition to the name of the player. They aren't always on top, I've seen ones that have the player name on top and the team name at the bottom, but it does seem to be common.

Examples:

BVB-kit_23-24_16-9.jpg

SVD-Home-23-24-HD.jpg

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
OT but does anyone know why St Paoli just have ST PAOLI on the back of their shirts?
They definitely had names in the past and I can't find answer elsewhere (and haven't tried very hard)
My first thought was that all the players are named "St Pauli". Just make it's a lot easier than learning everybody's names.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Apologies if it's already been mentioned at some point, haven't really followed this thread too closely.

Was just watching another video on Hurzeler's tactics and one of the points was that Hurzeler has placed a lot of emphasis on scoring more and conceding less from set pieces.

Could we finally see our set pieces improve next season? God I hope so.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Apologies if it's already been mentioned at some point, haven't really followed this thread too closely.

Was just watching another video on Hurzeler's tactics and one of the points was that Hurzeler has placed a lot of emphasis on scoring more and conceding less from set pieces.

RDZ said something very interesting at the Fans Forum about set-pieces. Something along the lines of them not being ‘real’ football. Seemed like he couldn’t give two shits about them.

Fingers crossed we see a big improvement. Arsenal showed last season what a difference they can make when you take them seriously.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
RDZ said something very interesting at the Fans Forum about set-pieces. Something along the lines of them not being ‘real’ football. Seemed like he couldn’t give two shits about them.

Fingers crossed we see a big improvement. Arsenal showed last season what a difference they can make when you take them seriously.
I did hear the (much maligned on here) set piece coach was given very little time at all with the players under De Zerbi so that stacks up.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

I'm sure that didn't sit well with a numbers man like Tony Bloom, 35% of Premier League goals come from set pieces.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Thanks for posting that video, really interesting.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So, now we’ve got our man, there needs to be a bit of understanding. While things may be (and hopefully are) brilliant from the off, his previous job started after he’d already been embedded in the team as assistant manager, and had pre-existing relationships with the coaching staff and players.

Now he’s moved country, it sounds like he won’t necessarily be bringing all (or even any) of his existing coaching team with him, and he has no pre-existing relationships with players or the coaches who are already here.

He’s obviously ambitious and has a clear picture of how he wants his team to play, but we’ve got to allow him some time to find his feet, and not be straight on his back if we don’t get the immediate start to the season we want.

Anyone who’s moved abroad for work knows that the first months can feel isolating and tough, being away from family and friends. I admire him already for believing in himself and feeling he’s ready to be tested at this level, but until he’s here and coaching with a team in place, we’ve got no idea how quickly/easily he’s going to be able to get his ideas across and working. Let’s make sure he knows we’re with him in the early weeks of the season.

TLDR - he’s young, this will be his first time living in the UK, he’s going to be in an unfamiliar setup, let’s make sure he knows he’s supported.
First 45 minutes then.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

There was a good discussion here about goal scoring stats from corners

Hürzeler said in an article I read, (when speaking highly of his own set piece coaches at St Pauli; Peter Nemeth his assistant manager responsible for attacking set pieces and his goalkeeper coach; Marco Knoop, responsible for defensive set-pieces) - when you have fine margins in a league table, the goals scored from set pieces can mean the difference between several places at the end of the season and for FCSP in 2023/4 that meant promotion..

I think our own corners improved too with seemingly more shorter corners played and more inswinging ones than we used to but it was definitely not a priority for RDZ.

This article notes 15.3% of all goals in the Premier League were from corners (directly and indirectly)

(Post edited for brevity and clarity)

Last edited:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I would imagine that includes penalties, I thought corners was about 2% of goals
- I posted above that 15.3% of all goals in the Premier League last season came from corners

“With an increase of 2.2 per cent from last season, an impressive 15.3 per cent of all goals scored this campaign have come from corners.”

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
- I literally just posted above that 15.3% of all goals in the Premier League last season came from corners
Again FYI

“With an increase of 2.2 per cent from last season, an impressive 15.3 per cent of all goals scored this campaign have come from corners.”
You're arguing different things...

1. How many corners result in goals.
2. How many goals come from corners.

It's possible for "2% of goals come from corners" and "15% of corners result in goals" to both be true.

Last season, there were 4.111 corners in the Premier League and 1,246 goals were scored. I don't know the official "goals from corners" stat last season, but...

1,246 goals * 15% (guess at "corners that result in goals" = 187 goals.

187 goals / 4,111 corners = 4.5% of corners resulted in a goal.

(Beyond all that, your article is from the 2022/23 season so absolutely not "last season")

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I didn’t see any arguments going on but have toned down my opening remark - as it happens we were at cross purposes so thanks for pointing that out.

The stats are from - 2021/22 not 2022/23 - ( nor what is now ‘last season’ which I’m still getting my head round, 2023/24) so I stand corrected

Not sure your definition clarifies anything re. The Premier League article that I quoted though as it uses your b/ definition 🙂

“With an increase of 2.2 per cent from last season, an impressive 15.3 per cent of all goals scored this campaign “ have come from corners.”

Maybe the writer should have said 15% of corners led to goals.*

Thank you for posting ( and working out) the percentage stats for last season - that is really helpful and interesting.

* Edited my earlier post to clarify.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here