Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabian Hürzeler **SINGED 15/06/2024**

Would Fabian Hurzeler be a good replacement for RDZ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
Thought I would throw this one into the mix for fun and guess the next manager lark (apologies if he’s been mentioned before) - Sounds right up our street. A young and talented coach doing great stuff with St Pauli in the 2.Bundesliga - playing attractive football and winning matches on limited budget and losing key players to the Bundesliga. Playing out from the back, ‘De Zerbian progression’, controlling the tempo to invite the press in a possession based system that uses a ball playing GK and a left-sided progresser and a CB that ‘puts his sole on the ball’. The 3rd Key defender is used out of possession as a CB, in possession as a DM and using the two wingbacks/fullbacks to stretch the oppos defence. In attack, an inverted left winger with a talented striker. All sounds familiar?

https://analyticsfc.co.uk/blog/2023...laying-the-best-football-in-the-2-bundesliga/

Difference is, St Pauli are scoring goals.

EDIT - Following media releasing news that Brighton is interested - Poll added 6th June.
What a Brilliant spot, Zeb. Nice user pic flip too 😍😎👍

Millerntor

Jun 9, 2024
Last Thursday - when the Hürtzeler issue with Brighton came one of our two new players at St. Pauli was introduced on the clubs homepage Robert Wagner.
I don't get it. Hürzeler managed to get his 2 Bundesliga relegation-zone club promoted to the Big Time in 2 seasons. Why didn't he stay with St. Pauli to take up that challenge? It's like Potter not sticking around to finish The Albion Project. It can't be the salary, surely, or even the increasingly dubious lure of the EPL... l dunno, it seems like a case of "having eyes bigger than one's stomach", as we say in French. I personally think he should have tested himself with St. Pauli in the Bundesliga for a couple of years. I feel sorry for the players and fans, especially after he extended his contract just a couple of months ago.

Well, that's the situation and feeling many supporters have.
After epic (6 months) negotiations, he finally signed a deal in March without exit clauses, continuing to state everywhere that he always wanted to continue to stay in St. Pauli.
Now the kid is gone 3 weeks after the celebrations for being Bundesliga 2 champions.
Roof management don't care about romantic emotions in football - that's how it is these days plus they have a clear plan for FH and to me, he's already on his way to Chelsea next year.
Very tasteless are his final comments from yesterday about how fantastic everything was here at St. Pauli; all computer generated phrases done by ROOF management.
Glad we can move on with a new head coach soon.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Last Thursday - when the Hürtzeler issue with Brighton came one of our two new players at St. Pauli was introduced on the clubs homepage Robert Wagner.

After epic (6 months) negotiations, he finally signed a deal in March without exit clauses, continuing to state everywhere that he always wanted to continue to stay in St. Pauli.
Now the kid is gone 3 weeks after the celebrations for being Bundesliga 2 champions.
Roof management don't care about romantic emotions in football - that's how it is these days plus they have a clear plan for FH and to me, he's already on his way to Chelsea next year.
Very tasteless are his final comments from yesterday about how fantastic everything was here at St. Pauli; all computer generated phrases done by ROOF management.

At least he didn’t say “if I wanted an easy life, I’d have stayed at St Pauli”

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Fabian
We're all happy cos we got one
Fabian
We're all happy cos we got one
Hurzeler wants to win at the Amex
Hurzeler wants to win at the Palace
Whatever he wants, he's gonna get it!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
We approached them for their manager-After the season was over, but before transfer window was open, pre season a month away, we havent taken (yet) their player of the season, half the technical structre, havent taken his assistants, or long estrablished club coaches, or the club legend, and we havent done all of that 3 weeks into a new season, and then we havent come back for the ones we left behind

There is simply no comparison with what Chelsea did, and tried to do.
Wonder if their supporters feel the same way...

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I’m not one for hand wringing about these kinds of things… as other have said - simply no comparison between this scenario and the Potter debacle…

If anything this proves a willingness to conduct our business in the same way as our rivals without the streak of entitlement the ‘big 6’ bring to the table.

We’re a decent club, trying to survive in a world dominated by clubs who eat anything and everything without a shred of humility and/or decency. In these instances timing is everything, and I believe we’d always get that bit spot on.

footywithuti

Jun 20, 2022
Evening everyone, hope you’re doing well. Here’s a short 2 and half minute video detailing everything you need to know about Fabian Hurzeler for those of you interested. This is yet another masterstroke from Tony Bloom, and I can’t wait to see Hurzeler’s passion on the touchline at the AMEX next season. As always, feel free to ask me any questions you may have, cheers!

Jun 13, 2024

I know how you feel, Millerntor, but no chance he would have stayed longer than one more season, you know that. Of course it was fantastic for Fabi to succeed as a coach in St. Pauli. Now it will be fantastic for him to succeed in Brighton. He will live and live the job there. He will give everything. This man doesn't seem to have a private life. I think he is an honest guy. We knew before that that would be a short term relationship.

neutron

Sep 5, 2023
To be honest, the club are so good at turning a disappointing departure into an opportunity to upgrade, that I am half expecting a top 4 finish and winning the F.A. Cup.
I jest a little, but with other managerial changes that may not work out so well, possible points deductions for some clubs, with a good transfer window for us, the stars might just be aligned.
I'm just looking forward to us winning the first 10 games.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Evening everyone, hope you’re doing well. Here’s a short 2 and half minute video detailing everything you need to know about Fabian Hurzeler for those of you interested. This is yet another masterstroke from Tony Bloom, and I can’t wait to see Hurzeler’s passion on the touchline at the AMEX next season. As always, feel free to ask me any questions you may have, cheers!

Err... thanks.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

It’s tough to lose a manager when the team is doing well - we know that too.

Hürzeler btw, did have an exit deal in his contract btw (that gave clubs permission to approach St Pauli). Bornemann refused to include a release clause though (which worked out better financially for FCSP in the end)

With FCSP playing easily the best and most attractive football in the 2. Bundesliga last season and already with a record run of 10 straight wins when he took over from Schultz in December 2022/23 (after a 13 match winless steak in that autumn under Schultz) surely you knew it was a matter of time for bigger clubs to be interested in a coach that was surpassing Nagelsmann’s records?

Maybe you are right and we’ll only have him for 1-2 seasons (or less if he doesn’t adapt) but that’s where Brighton are in the pecking order too, as with FCSP - we will have key players and managers walking out even 4 months after signing extensions of their contract and all saying up to the minute they announce they are leaving, that they “love the Club”, the fans and are “committed to the plan” - until they are not.

Football fans are fickle lovers when it comes to players and managers - our loyalties easily adapt to new faces 😉

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
After reading some of the comments, if he's off to chelsea in eighteen months..we've had an amazing eighteen months then!
However, if it's Paderborn he's off to ??? , a manager will be needed for fire control

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

I really wish I hadn’t watched that before I go to bed - that narrator is going to give me nightmares 😩😩😩

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I don't get it. Hürzeler managed to get his 2 Bundesliga relegation-zone club promoted to the Big Time in 2 seasons. Why didn't he stay with St. Pauli to take up that challenge? It's like Potter not sticking around to finish The Albion Project. It can't be the salary, surely, or even the increasingly dubious lure of the EPL... l dunno, it seems like a case of "having eyes bigger than one's stomach", as we say in French. I personally think he should have tested himself with St. Pauli in the Bundesliga for a couple of years. I feel sorry for the players and fans, especially after he extended his contract just a couple of months ago.

He never made it as a player this will be a big change of lifestyle for him much like potter going to us and then Chelsea. He could stay and then if it failed and they get relegated then what? I feel for St Pauli though hate it when it is done to us.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
He never made it as a player this will be a big change of lifestyle for him much like potter going to us and then Chelsea. He could stay and then if it failed and they get relegated then what? I feel for St Pauli though hate it when it is done to us.
It was done to us 6 games into a new season after all the preseason planning had been done by Potter & his team. Chelsea f***ed us over!! We have hired new managers in the close-season when the incumbent club have time to react and prepare. In other words - the right way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here