Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Max fan boys on Sky saying how easy it will be for Lewis but I can't see it. Would love to see Lewis win this but can't see him having the speed to overtake

D

Deleted member 2719

What drivers Max and Lewis are. Look how far ahead they were from the rest

Bottas starting down the grid could have made it tougher, if only he could deal with overtaking! I really thought with lewis younger tyres and straight-line speed this should have been his gig. Max was outstanding to keep lewis away, perfect timing from him rather than Red Bull.

Still a lot to play for, it can only get better.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Bottas starting down the grid could have made it tougher, if only he could deal with overtaking! I really thought with lewis younger tyres and straight-line speed this should have been his gig. Max was outstanding to keep lewis away, perfect timing from him rather than Red Bull.

Still a lot to play for, it can only get better.

Bottas has always had good pace but as a racer very meek and average.

I think what ultimately won Max the race was his pace on the softer tyres in the first stint. If Lewis had the pace he had on the hards he would have slowly pulled away and Max wouldn't have been able to undercut.

Not sure Max was thay outstanding at holding Lewis off, just as Max in the first stint hit the brick wall at just under a second when following it was the same for Lewis. Would love to see cars that are easier to follow, then we would really see the pace and racing that we all love seeing between these two amazing drivers

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Lewis would have win that, the turbulent air cost him.

D

Deleted member 2719

Bottas has always had good pace but as a racer very meek and average.

I think what ultimately won Max the race was his pace on the softer tyres in the first stint. If Lewis had the pace he had on the hards he would have slowly pulled away and Max wouldn't have been able to undercut.

Not sure Max was thay outstanding at holding Lewis off, just as Max in the first stint hit the brick wall at just under a second when following it was the same for Lewis. Would love to see cars that are easier to follow, then we would really see the pace and racing that we all love seeing between these two amazing drivers

On a Merc track, Max took the win, he was outstanding in my opinion. We could look out all the detail, but today he drove with his head and his heart.
This was the first race I think I have ever witnessed that Lewis made no excuses and knew Max was right on it.
Max is no longer a boy he has come of age.

Bring on mexico.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
On a Merc track, Max took the win, he was outstanding in my opinion. We could look out all the detail, but today he drove with his head and his heart.
This was the first race I think I have ever witnessed that Lewis made no excuses and knew Max was right on it.

Bring on mexico.

Not sure this was a Merc track this year. Red Bull 1st and 3rd in quali with Bottas back in 5th so there was no clear pace advantage for Mercedes (look at where Bottas finished).

Agree that Max is no longer a boy although I don't think that's been the case all season. Personally don't think there was much between Lewis and Max today. Lewis aced the start, positioned his car well and held Max off when he was faster in the first stint, Max benefited from being able to undercut and held Lewis off when he was faster on the hard tyre. Both finished within 1.5 seconds of each other and MILES ahead of the rest of the field. If you think either driver was much better than the other today I think you need to take off the bias specs but that's my opinion. Would have felt the same if Lewis had won, both drivers have shown all season why they should both at the end of their careers go down as two of the greatest (assuming Max fulfills his potential and makes the right careers moves as Hamilton has done but the likes of Alonso hasn't)

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Bring on mexico.

Agree, Max drove like a champion in that race. I don’t think he made a mistake, slightly slower off the line, aggressive but circumspect at the first corner and calm when he came under pressure at the end. It was a really exciting race that didn’t deliver the drama at the end. Max getting a slipstream and DRS from that dick Schumacher ruined (for this Lewis fan) the chance of an overtake on the final lap. Not convinced it wasn’t very clever of Max to balance where Lewis was and only overtake MS when he knew he would have DRS.

Red Bull outthought Mercedes on tactics and Max, start apart, outdrove Lewis in that race teasing but never giving Lewis a realistic chance of the win.

The coverage in the closing laps drove me nuts. I had no interest in how close 11th and 12th was which they kept showing until the very last few laps instead of Max and Lewis

If Lewis wins this year I suggest it will be his most satisfying title but I can’t see it now, but who knows? Thrilling season.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Red Bull got the tactical calls right. They knew the undercut was powerful and overtaking difficult. Calling Max in early for the first stop was the key to the win and Mercedes never recovered. Great team tactics.
Mercedes also made a mistake in leaving out Lewis too long for his second stop and let the gap drift to 8 seconds, 6 was what they were working to, so left him out two laps too long.

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Not sure this was a Merc track this year. Red Bull 1st and 3rd in quali with Bottas back in 5th so there was no clear pace advantage for Mercedes (look at where Bottas finished).

Red Bull certainly found more between Friday and Saturday then Merc did. I'm wondering if Hamilton ran with his engine in a slightly reduced performance mode and whether he's going to be compromised on the engine side of things for the remainder of the season. Wolff has admitted they've got a reliability niggle that's emerged and on the engine supply front they're under a lot of pressure (3x new Merc engine for Austin, Merc-related grid penalties are starting to stack up now).

If Merc have decided they want to avoid any more grid penalties for Hamilton, they might be running his engine slightly conservative to prevent the niggle developing.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Well done to Max for not crashing in to Hamilton and taking them both out on lap 1 - that shows genuine progress from the lad.

Thought the race was a bit lacklustre, Merc had no reply to the undercut.

Loved Brundle’s grid walk. Perfect place to do it with lots of uppity US celebs who know FA about F1 so are too scared to talk to him for fear their complete lack of knowledge will be exposed [emoji38]

https://twitter.com/wobbbl/status/1452384309642416135?s=20

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here