Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
being british im trying to be objective here but when you look back at the incidents this years, i cant think of one that was Hamilton's fault. Verstapen seems to have this mental attitude that he cant sacrifice the lead (in any race) and if he does he'll just casually try to take hamilton out doing in. The worse incident was the one went he went straight over a corner and mounted on top of Hamiltons car, clearly an insane move and never an accident. Also in the last race Verstappen was handed two time penalties but they became pointless because he was so ahead of third place. I think they need to tighten up on the rules for every driver and infringements should be treated like yellow/red cards in football - maybe 5seconds first infringement , 10 seconds OR 1 place whichever is the greater impact and 3rd strike black flag the driver.

Err - Silverstone

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Can somebody explain why they will have different tyres tomorrow

The race tyre is determined during qualification session 2. The top 10 cars go through to qualification 3 and the actual tyres they used in Q2 to set their fastest time are the ones they must start the race with.

LH’s fastest time in Q2 was set with mediums and MV’s with soft.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Was anyone else surprised that Lewis again went out ahead of Bottas on his last run, having seen the power of the tow?

For me Merc are probably quite happy to be second and looking to win it on strategy, rather than have Max on softs gunning for Lewis at T1. Sit LH in behind and wait for the tyre deg. Lewis looks after his well (though I think we're all past seeing through the "these tyres are done. man" radio call :lol: ).

Either that or Bottas' last act in the team is to screw over the guy who's always made him look as average as he actually is.

Bottas’ last act should be to slow and block Max after his first stop. He needs to make sure he keeps within 20secs of Max.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really looking forward to this and hope we can have a clean race with nothing underhand or dodgy deciding it. Both finishing would be the ideal. May the best man win, whoever gets the Championship will have deserved it and we will have had quite possibly the best ever F1 season ever. I can’t remember such an intense and exciting one.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
If what I read that Max flat spotted his last set of mediums during Q2 is correct, it may be advantage Lewis.

The degradation of the soft tyre is accelerated by the weight of the car therefore Max will get fewer laps running soft then hard than Lewis running the softs later.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's definitely stacked against Lewis now but you never know.

Hopefully the track is better suited to racing than its previous incarnation.

This still seems to be the prevailing wisdom:

“The two title contenders start on different types of tyres, after Verstappen made a mistake and locked up in the second part of qualifying and damaged the set he wanted to use for the opening stint.”BBC

Max is set to win the initial sprint race but he is actually in a marathon race.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If what I read that Max flat spotted his last set of mediums during Q2 is correct, it may be advantage Lewis.

The degradation of the soft tyre is accelerated by the weight of the car therefore Max will get fewer laps running soft then hard than Lewis running the softs later.

An early pit, only to come out in the middle of a pack of slower cars with medium tyres (including Bottas) could really hurt his strategy. He won’t be able to bully them, too much at stake.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
In Q2 I feel like it was a strategy choice for Max to set his fastest time on softs. I know he had a lock up on mediums but he could have just put another set of those on and bagged a time that would have secured a top ten spot no worries - like Merc did on mediums.

Red Bull it seems took the call to prioritise a better getaway at the start which the softs will give them- so they must think they have a strategy to win the race from there.

For Lewis- his Q3 lap looked fine but no ragged in any way which made he think it was more of a (fast) banker lap than pushing on the absolute limit. If I were Lewis, I think I would rather go into the first corner behind Max than in front of him- Lewis in an interview after said ‘at least I can see where he is from there’

So I still hold out hope that Lewis could have very good race pace and maybe he isn’t that worried starting P2 - Max being on softs possibly a bonus in strategy terms.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In Q2 I feel like it was a strategy choice for Max to set his fastest time on softs. I know he had a lock up on mediums but he could have just put another set of those on and bagged a time that would have secured a top ten spot no worries - like Merc did on mediums.

Red Bull it seems took the call to prioritise a better getaway at the start which the softs will give them- so they must think they have a strategy to win the race from there.

For Lewis- his Q3 lap looked fine but no ragged in any way which made he think it was more of a (fast) banker lap than pushing on the absolute limit. If I were Lewis, I think I would rather go into the first corner behind Max than in front of him- Lewis in an interview after said ‘at least I can see where he is from there’

So I still hold out hope that Lewis could have very good race pace and maybe he isn’t that worried starting P2 - Max being on softs possibly a bonus in strategy terms.

With Perez on softs as well I imagine Red Bull are hoping he can throw everything at Lewis on the first lap. Perez pushing Lewis really hard with only one driver having anything to lose could be an interesting and a difficult first lap for Lewis. Not ideal

I can’t see Norris doing anything disrespectful though he is unlikely to back off if he also jumps Lewis

This race could be decided on the first lap, really hope not, what an anti climax that would be

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The race tyre is determined during qualification session 2. The top 10 cars go through to qualification 3 and the actual tyres they used in Q2 to set their fastest time are the ones they must start the race with.

LH’s fastest time in Q2 was set with mediums and MV’s with soft.

sorry for my continuing ignorance. What is the difference between the tyres and why do they not use same type of tyre throughout race. Appreciate different when it is wet

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
sorry for my continuing ignorance. What is the difference between the tyres and why do they not use same type of tyre throughout race. Appreciate different when it is wet

Soft tyre- faster / more grip, but goes off quicker so lasts for less laps

Medium- less grip than softs (so slower), last longer / more durable than softs.

Hard- less grip than mediums (so slower), last longer than mediums.

It is a rule that they have to use at least 2 of the tyre compounds in a dry race.

Usually due to the life span of the various tyre types the optimum race strategy will be one or two pitstops.

This explains potential strategies for today-

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...e-abu-dhabi-grand.6hiSWQGOq4LE0hQUTH5AHa.html

They could actually both one-stop then go into hards - with Lewis just having a longer first stint.

fb9eb4c30c6f7f3f879af4724ca8e1b0.jpg

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

the rules state that they must use two different tyre compounds in a "dry" race

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I will likely watch this one. My F1 guru mate says you go back to about '74 for the last time you had two contenders on the same points going into the final race. He's balanced and will not be automatically a Brit fan so when he says he would feel uneasy with Stappers being champion this year, I take that as confirmation that Stappers is a wrong 'un.

I really hope that Botters can get in front of Stappers and back the pack up so Hammers can clear off. I don't think he's got that in him though. Shame as it would really hack Stappers off.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Don’t know anything about F1, just jumping on the bandwagon as it’s so close this season. Surely both teams have run simulations on the quickest way to complete the race. Hence why Max is starting with the soft.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Don’t know anything about F1, just jumping on the bandwagon as it’s so close this season. Surely both teams have run simulations on the quickest way to complete the race. Hence why Max is starting with the soft.

MV flat spotted his Mediums in Q2

So was forced to go onto softs

He might have to 2 stop and a PS around here is,I think around 23 seconds

LH might getaway with stopping just once

We'll see

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here