Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

f*** Off McGhee

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yorkie said:

I'm not blindly applauding everything that is going on but I cannot see what else can be done when you look at the larger picture of getting a ground and keeping the club in business.

That attitude is no good on here...go and stand in the corner:dunce:

;)

KinkyNormanBaker said:
As was Mcghee, your point?

You see no difference fighting a relegation in TIER FIVE to one in tier 2? :lolol:

What bright young managers are there in Conference South we should be looking at? That bloke at Lewes has done well! :D

Silent Bob said:
Nope.

I wasn't particularly enamored with him the first season, playing very poor football with a side that Steve Coppell had already shown were capable of much better, but he got us up. Last season I thought he did a good job, this season I believe he's lost the plot, as has eventually happened at most clubs he's managed.

Ah well, if your mind changes that quickly, it'll probably change again soon enough.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It hasn't changed that quickly, it's been gradual over the course of pre season and the season proper.

Tooting Gull said:
It makes it a bit easy for the manager if you basically say however shit you are, it's not your fault. They should be under more pressure than that.

If you really don't think McGhee is under pressure right now, I dread to think what Chilean General's torture you would put him through.

The guy is at his wit's end at the moment trying to get blood out of a stone. The current job he's got is probably the hardest he's ever had in football, and the hardest in this league alongside Gradi's.

You just have to listen to McGhee's interviews to realise the pressure he's under. He has immense pride in his ability to get us out of this mess. There is no greater pressure than that which you put yourself under.

The likes of Peter Taylor never had that bottle to cope with the pressure of achieving annual miracles for this club, but our current superb manager does!

McGhee is the best! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Steve Claridge summed up our situation on Sky a couple of weeks ago on the program Your on Sky Sports, when he said Brighton players are under no pressure because they expect to lose most of their games and win a couple.

My prediction at the start of the season, which has gone out of the window, was that we would finish 7th or 8th from bottom this season and around midtable next.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We can stay up, just be positive.

If we can just get a few wins together it will be quickly turned round.

BensGrandad said:
I think that Steve Claridge summed up our situation on Sky a couple of weeks ago on the program Your on Sky Sports, when he said Brighton players are under no pressure because they expect to lose most of their games and win a couple.

f***ing bollocks! He said they wouldn't PANIC if they lost a few games because they then had the courage and fight to go out and win the next time. He was PRAISING the attitude of the club and its players!

You are a depressing clown running down your club at every opportunity, even when Claridge was praising the club and saying we would stay up!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have to ask the question BG - do you really want us to stay up or be relegated.

Try changing your frame of mind from negative to postive or - to +

E

enigma

BensGrandad said:

My prediction at the start of the season, which has gone out of the window, was that we would finish 7th or 8th from bottom this season and around midtable next.

That was wildly optimistic. On what grounds? We had just lost Virgo and Harding for fucks sake.

I would have bern happy with 4th bottom

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Beach Hut said:
I have to ask the question BG - do you really want us to stay up or be relegated.

Try changing your frame of mind from negative to postive or - to +

I most definitely want us to stay up because I belive that relegation would be a mini disaster but I am not so sure that my view is echoed throughout the club.

There are too many unanswered questions to convince me that all 'at the top' want us to stay up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
enigma said:
That was wildly optimistic. On what grounds? We had just lost Virgo and Harding for fucks sake.

I would have bern happy with 4th bottom

I thought the sale of Virgo was one of the best business deals this club has ever done to get £1.5m for him. MM had said he wanted a left back and I expected that he would have got one either during the summer or fairly soon after in the early season.
I expected Hinsh to have overcome his injuries and be back as he was by about late October /November. to replace Virgo at the back as I was never keen on Virgo up front although he scored some goals, m ost of which he could have scored from a central defenders position. I expected LK to score about 12 - 15 goals this season. More important I expected the younger players to have grown in statue as they gained experience but sadly that hasn't happened and despite LI protestation Hammond has been a disaster this season.

I thoughht that this year would be the start of the 'big time' comfortably avoid relegation next year mid table, following year around play offs i.e about 8thn top and then a big push for The Premiership to open Falmer either in the Premiership or on the verge of for our first season in the new stadium. That is all now dreams.

London Irish said:
If you really don't think McGhee is under pressure right now, I dread to think what Chilean General's torture you would put him through.

The guy is at his wit's end at the moment trying to get blood out of a stone. The current job he's got is probably the hardest he's ever had in football, and the hardest in this league alongside Gradi's.

You just have to listen to McGhee's interviews to realise the pressure he's under. He has immense pride in his ability to get us out of this mess. There is no greater pressure than that which you put yourself under.

The likes of Peter Taylor never had that bottle to cope with the pressure of achieving annual miracles for this club, but our current superb manager does!

I wouldn't level the question "does McGhee give a darn about keeping us up", because I believe he would like to, just like any other manager would like to have a successful cv. A lot of people WANT to win, but cannot and do not He may well put himself under pressure and want to win passionately, and he may well believe in himself that he can.

The question I wonder about, is this; is he capable of doing it, and can he do it on a tactical and morale level?

Hinsh wanted to but failed, and recognized that he didn't have the ability to do it - but we didn't want to watch BHA lose and lose and lose forever just because he would have liked to succeed, or even if he bleeds blue-and-white.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
NMH said:

Hinsh wanted to but failed, and recognized that he didn't have the ability to do it - but we didn't want to watch BHA lose and lose and lose forever just because he would have liked to succeed, or even if he bleeds blue-and-white.

Hinsh was asked to step down, in other words, sacked. He didn't go voluntarily.
We lost 6 games in a row last season and still stayed up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tooting Gull said:
So he cares. Oxfam care, but I wouldn't let them run the country.

The really annoying thing this season is that in August I was certain we'd go down - but we've been better than that, to be fair in part to good McGhee signings like Frutos and Seb.

Apart from Reading, no one's really given us a good gubbing, and if we'd had a striker we'd have turned enough of those draws into wins to have a great chance of staying up.

The fact we haven't got one is McGhee's fault. He's wasted what money we did have on Turienzo, and failed to show initiative/prove his contacts in the game over loan signings in that key area.
That's basically how I feel. And it's not enough for me to want to see him walk.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Silent Bob said:
Nope.

I wasn't particularly enamored with him the first season, playing very poor football with a side that Steve Coppell had already shown were capable of much better, but he got us up. Last season I thought he did a good job, this season I believe he's lost the plot, as has eventually happened at most clubs he's managed.

It is easy to ignore that when McGhee came in we had lost four in a row and were not top. Coppell bailed when things were good so we will never know how he would have done at the end of the season so comments like that are pointless.

As for losing the plot this season it just shows how intelligent some people are. Taking a team who have one of the weakest squads in the league down is not losing the plot it is what happens when you have a 7,000 seater ground and no money to spend. Some people need a reality check on here.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Should just say, and I'm not the only person who has said this. El Turi was not McGhee's idea. The general concensus of opinion is that he was signed on the advice of Liam Brady by Dick Knight.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
London Irish said:

I wouldn't go quite as far as saying McGhee is the best, LI, but I'm with you on the likes of Peter Taylor. He was a loser if ever there was one - where was his fight?

When we played West Ham last season, I remember loads of us on here talking about our £150,000 squad beating their £10m squad, or whatever the figures were. The fact that we're still in this division is testament to the work that McGhee's continued to do.

I do worry about MM's tactical decisions sometimes and I hope that Booker and co have the balls to bring him up on them. It's true, also, that other managers have been sacked for a record far far better than ours. But we're never going to get a Mourinho or a Curbishley in our current financial plight, so we have to stick with MM for now. He's not jumped ship, like f***ing Peter Taylor.

Maybe McGhee should get some sports psychologist on the team, to help psyche the lads up. They looked jaded on Saturday, not a patch on how they looked when we played Cov in the cup.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't get all this anti-Taylor feeling. When he walked, he did so honourably. We had run away with the league and he waited until his contract expired. There's no shame in that. Since then, he's done the business at Hull where - incidentally - he does seem to have the stomach for a relegation battle.

I firmly believe he would have stayed if he had realised that bigger clubs weren't going to come running for his services off the back of one decent season in the third team - especially given the fact that he'd already spunked a fortune at Leicester.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
bhaexpress said:
Should just say, and I'm not the only person who has said this. El Turi was not McGhee's idea. The general concensus of opinion is that he was signed on the advice of Liam Brady by Dick Knight.
The same Mr Brady who recommended Valur Gisusagamesson?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here