Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

f*** Off McGhee

Uncle Buck said:
I do not think McGhee is going to get the sack, Knight has rarely sacked managers, Hinshlewood was moved sideways, not sure if Gritt was sacked or told his contract would not be renewed.

However all this stuff that nobody would want the job is plain rubbish. There are only 92 league managers jobs, yet there are more than 92 managers out there. When Coppell went, the short list that was interviewed was something along the line of Dowie, McGhee, Rosenior and Cotterill. Not a bad short list and we were a league below.

Now every so often people say that relegation would not matter, in fact a promotion season in the run up to Falmer might be good. Well from a business point of view I would say it would be a disaster. OK, there would be a drop in TV money, but I guess that the wage drops that are often written into players contracts would off set that. However we have to build this new ground in the next 3 years and part of the funding is the naming rights. Now a product in League One is going to be worth less than if we are in the Championship. It would seem the various naming rights are worth a few million, so we could lose out on a noticeable amount if we are selling these if in League One. Then there is the matter of selling corporate packages. Business are less likely to want to buy this for a third tier product than a second tier one. Then there is pitch side advertising. Being in League One means less coverage on the League's flagship TV coverage and so less exposure for this advertising, so less revenue coming in.

So relegation is very bad for us now and at present we are in a rut.

You overstate your case, businesses and fans would want to associate themselves with a club doing well in tier 3 as much as one hanging on to grim life in tier 2, there are numerous examples of that, the current one being Swansea who have exprienced massive crowd growth at the Liberty. They are not a bigger club than Cardiff but until those other boyos have their stadium sorted, this illusion will be created. It is the same for us.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
enigma said:
But as TLO says, perhaps the club would be perceived as more succesful if it was doing very well a division below, as opposed to struggling in a division above.

As I see it, relegation wouldnt be great but its not the end of the world. We have three years until Falmer is built, that should be plenty of time to get back up if need be.

I think you will find in a companies eyes it is obvious if you are in the League below then your company is going to get less mentions in the press etc if the Albion are in League One than the Championship and this lesser exposure is likely to affect the amount they offer for the product.

DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Nigel Clough wouldn't cost us a fortune to get in - a great up and coming coach with fresh ideas and even the £100,000 transfer budget or whatever it would be given to him would seem like millions compared to what he's been used to.
For god's sake he was fighting a relegation battle from the Conference most of the last season :lolol:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
You overstate your case, businesses and fans would want to associate themselves with a club doing well in tier 3 as much as one hanging on to grim life in tier 2, there are numerous examples of that, the current one being Swansea who have exprienced massive crowd growth at the Liberty. They are not a bigger club than Cardiff but until those other boyos have their stadium sorted, this illusion will be created. It is the same for us.

Simple fact is we would offer less money for a product in at a lower level, businesses will have no sympathy over the clubs predicatment.

Do you then sell the rights on a shorter term basis, in the hope that when they are renewed we are further up the ladder and so worth more?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Re: Re: f*** Off McGhee

Ernest said:
And what have I been saying for ages :angry: :angry: :angry:

How about the same old tired, drearily unfunny crap for starters?

Uncle Buck said:
Simple fact is we would offer less money for a product in at a lower level, businesses will have no sympathy over the clubs predicatment.

It depends how well the club could sell the potential of "our" product, and I think they would have a very good one to sell given the complete uniqueness of a state-of-the-art stadium targeting a potential market of 1 million people in the south.

The exposure their product would get at a play-off final at Wembley would be far higher than a grim relegation struggle at the bottom of tier 2 that TV doesn't cover anyway.

We were live on TV 5 times in our last League 1 season, how many so far this season, twice?

You are fixating too much on the short-term factor of tier 2 v tier 3 and neglecting the awesome transformational potential that a new stadium gives us to make us a successful tier 2 club challenging at the right end of that league table.

Last edited:

E

enigma

London Irish said:
It depends how well the club could sell the potential of "our" product, and I think they would have a very good one to sell given the complete uniqueness of a state-of-the-art stadium targeting a potential market of 1 million people in the south.

The exposure their product would get at a play-off final at Wembley would be far higher than a grim relegation struggle at the bottom of tier 2 that TV doesn't cover anyway.

We were live on TV 5 times in our last League 1 season, how many so far this season, twice?

Exactly. I think outsiders pay more attention if a team is at the top of one division than struggling to stay another, particularly outside the Premiership.

enigma said:
Exactly. I think outsiders pay more attention if a team is at the top of one division than struggling to stay another, particularly outside the Premiership.

Interesting that the Sports Argus yesterday said we were outbid by Swansea for Fallon.

They couldn't have done that a couple of years ago. Everything changes when you have the revenue streams from a new stadium.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't agree you are more in the spotlight at the top of Div One than you are struggling in the Championship. There is very little coverage of League One.

The only time where that might be true is from March onwards, if you look a very good bet for promotion. Colchester, Southend and Swansea can expect a fair crack of the whip soon.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: f*** Off McGhee

Yorkie said:
Who have achieved what?

A lot of good, young managers there, with fresh ideas and top (at least high)-level playing experience that they've translated into promising starts in their managerial careers. If you're about to come back and claim they lack experience; so did Iain Dowie, yet he did pretty well - amongst many things, he seems to have a strong relationship with his players and is very progressive tactically.

Don't get too hung up on a manager's age, or the length of time he's been in the game ... for all the benefits that brings, they are only comparable to those a younger manager will possess. I think Allen, Parkinson, Calderwood and Simpson, amongst others, would be well worth looking at.

E

enigma

London Irish said:
Interesting that the Sports Argus yesterday said we were outbid by Swansea for Fallon.

They couldn't have done that a couple of years ago. Everything changes when you have the revenue streams from a new stadium.

That doesnt surprise me.

Thats why I dont really see much difference between our current predixament and being near the top of League 1. I

f we were mid table in this league then that would be one thing, but with our finances that is very unlikely even if we do stay up this season. Ultimately, I think we will be just as attractive a proposition to investors doing well in the division below, and indeed supporters.

The only doubt there may be would be our ability to attract some players if we were a division below.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: f*** Off McGhee

Repugnant Toad said:
A lot of good, young managers there, with fresh ideas and top (at least high)-level playing experience that they've translated into promising starts in their managerial careers. If you're about to come back and claim they lack experience; so did Iain Dowie, yet he did pretty well - amongst many things, he seems to have a strong relationship with his players and is very progressive tactically.

Don't get too hung up on a manager's age, or the length of time he's been in the game ... for all the benefits that brings, they are only comparable to those a younger manager will possess. I think Allen, Parkinson, Calderwood and Simpson, amongst others, would be well worth looking at.

I am not talking about a managers age but experience.
None of those managers have achieved what MM has achieved. He hasn't ever been relegated at this level of football and even if we are this season it is because of the financial restraints placed on the whole club.

The bookies had us down for relegation at the start of the season and they're not often wrong.

Blame the NIMBYs for bleeding this club dry with paying out legal fees.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: f*** Off McGhee

Yorkie said:
None of those managers have achieved what MM has achieved. He hasn't ever been relegated at this level of football and even if we are this season it is because of the financial restraints placed on the whole club.

The bookies had us down for relegation at the start of the season and they're not often wrong.

You're on fire today Yorkie, I think I 've agreed 100% with everything you've said this weekend

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The only problem with Yorkie's argument - 'even if we go down it's down to the financial restraints' - is that it gives a manager carte blanche to be as good, or as bad, as he likes with no comeback.

It makes it a bit easy for the manager if you basically say however shit you are, it's not your fault. They should be under more pressure than that.

Everyone knows how difficult it has been for McGhee. The question is could he have done better with some of his bigger decisions that could cost us, notably over Turienzo and failure to bring in any sort of striker in the window (let alone last summer).

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tooting Gull said:
The only problem with Yorkie's argument - 'even if we go down it's down to the financial restraints' - is that it gives a manager carte blanche to be as good, or as bad, as he likes with no comeback.

It makes it a bit easy for the manager if you basically say however shit you are, it's not your fault. They should be under more pressure than that.

Everyone knows how difficult it has been for McGhee. The question is could he have done better with some of his bigger decisions that could cost us, notably over Turienzo and failure to bring in any sort of striker in the window (let alone last summer).

Have you seen his interviews? He cares and I really believe he is doing the best he can. More importantly, so do the board.

E

enigma

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: f*** Off McGhee

Yorkie said:

Agree fully with that. We did well to stay up last season, and the loss of Virgo and Harding was a big loss for us.

We cant compete in this division with our resources- look at the money other teams in the division have, even a lot of those who are struggling.

Of course McGhee has made mistakes, but he faces a very difficult task. I would ask what those who criticise him expect? Until we get Falmer we will do well to stay in this division.

They will of course say that they are ambitious and that those of us who are more realistic about the task the team and MM face are happy for the club to be relegated, and that they actually CARE where the club finishes.

IDIOTS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here