Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expensive School Trips

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Don't believe for a second the school made ANY profit. If schools make more than about £50 profit on a trip they are legally abliged to refund the money. I have run overseas trips for years and to be honest £80 for that seems incredibly cheap. Trust me coaches, ferries etc for school trips are VERY expensive.

I have to agree that schools don't make a profit but you do have to question how Scouting and Guiding manage to put on very similar activities for MUCH lower prices.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So parents ( a majority of them working ) are meant to make arrangements for someone to look after their child for 45 minutes during the working day ?? Teachers sometimes live in a different universe !

I'm quite shocked by this attitude. As a parent, you should look after your own kids outside of school. It's not the tax payers responsiblity.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm quite shocked by this attitude. As a parent, you should look after your own kids outside of school. It's not the tax payers responsiblity.

I know we are normally miles apart on nearly everything but I whole heartedly agree as a parent who is responsible for my two - however one is now 20

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
As you asked, my folks refused to ever let me go on school trips. I only ever asked to go on 2 or 3, but each time was told no, too expensive.
Your taxes pay for a basic education, if you want the best for your child/step child money should not be a barrier. If everybody/company paid their fair share of tax then schools would not need to go cap in hand. just my thoughts

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
So parents ( a majority of them working ) are meant to make arrangements for someone to look after their child for 45 minutes during the working day ?? Teachers sometimes live in a different universe !

A Teacher's responsibility is to TEACH children between 9:00am and 3:00pm. After 3:00pm it is the parents responsibility to look after their children regardless of there only being 45 minutes between school and an after school club. For teachers invariably after 3:00pm there are school meetings, classroom preparation, marking, preparing resources for the following day, planning lessons - I could go on. They don't just bugger off home and do naff all until the following day!

Teachers are not carers for people to take advantage of because they see them as free child care. If a parent wants their child to attend an after school club that is not run by the school as in my example, they should take responsibility for their child in the time in between. What on earth do parents do on the other days of the week when they're working and there are no clubs?!

As you put it, parents sometimes live in a different universe!

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
My son's school has arranged a trip to see the particle accelerator in Switzerland next year as part of their A level Physics course; I'm kind of jealous as I would love to see that! Makes a change from the pompous skiing trips.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Why?? You have no idea where it is to and for how long.
I suspect it is something like World Challenge which as well as giving students an amazing experience involves helping others in a part of the world that needs help.

It's obvious the poster was fishing for an outraged response so they could then come back with the "reveal" of something like you've just said. I gave him what he wants so no need to be outraged on his behalf Dorothy. Plus what you have proffered is hardly a "school trip" is it? So cool your boots oldbean, you'll get an ulcer.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
It's obvious the poster was fishing for an outraged response so they could then come back with the "reveal" of something like you've just said. I gave him what he wants so no need to be outraged on his behalf Dorothy. Plus what you have proffered is hardly a "school trip" is it? So cool your boots oldbean, you'll get an ulcer.
Surely any trip run through the school is a school trip??

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A Teacher's responsibility is to TEACH children between 9:00am and 3:00pm. After 3:00pm it is the parents responsibility to look after their children regardless of there only being 45 minutes between school and an after school club. For teachers invariably after 3:00pm there are school meetings, classroom preparation, marking, preparing resources for the following day, planning lessons - I could go on. They don't just bugger off home and do naff all until the following day!

Teachers are not carers for people to take advantage of because they see them as free child care. If a parent wants their child to attend an after school club that is not run by the school as in my example, they should take responsibility for their child in the time in between. What on earth do parents do on the other days of the week when they're working and there are no clubs?!

As you put it, parents sometimes live in a different universe!

I suggest you read my post more carefully ! The point I was making was that to start an after school club 45 minutes AFTER school as closed is somewhat stupid. What are parents meant to do for that 45 minutes ? I don't expect teachers or schools to be child minders but I do expect them to use some common sense but unfortunately they don't seem to. I could list a whole raft of reasons but one of the most annoying is the letter coming home giving you 2 days notice of your child needing something such as fancy dress. You plan half a term at a time ( I know because I was married to a teacher ) so do the parents the politeness of giving us a couple of weeks notice of requirements of things like that and a months notice of money requirements given most of us are paid monthly - as I said, teachers live in a different universe ( one of the reasons my ex-wife is just that ! ).

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I don't know about the other kids at my school in Eastbourne but my teacher always pays for my trips and this year he took me to France

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I suggest you read my post more carefully ! The point I was making was that to start an after school club 45 minutes AFTER school as closed is somewhat stupid. What are parents meant to do for that 45 minutes ? I don't expect teachers or schools to be child minders but I do expect them to use some common sense but unfortunately they don't seem to. I could list a whole raft of reasons but one of the most annoying is the letter coming home giving you 2 days notice of your child needing something such as fancy dress. You plan half a term at a time ( I know because I was married to a teacher ) so do the parents the politeness of giving us a couple of weeks notice of requirements of things like that and a months notice of money requirements given most of us are paid monthly - as I said, teachers live in a different universe ( one of the reasons my ex-wife is just that ! ).

What sort of fancy dress we talking about here? If its some elaborate Louise the XV outfit that needs hiring then I agree, 2 days is a bit short. But, if they're simply wanting the kids to have a bit of fun and improvise 2 days is surely fine to knock something up. I cobbled together an outfit in an afternoon for a Madonna theme party not so long ago. I cannot help but think you're being a bit unfair or have an agenda of some sort; you're moaning about minor to non-existent things.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Surely any trip run through the school is a school trip??

This is clearly not a regular "school trip" is it though, as you've already suggested yourself. And if it is some sort of charity trip the kid isn't gonna learn much about charity and the underpriviliged with the parents stumping up 4 grand to pay for it are they?

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck

Perhaps I should have been a bit clearer with my opening remark. The Judo Club is not run by the school. It merely hires the hall one a week. Therefor the children are not the responsibility of the teachers, but the parents. Maybe I would agree with you if it was a school thing, but the facts are it isn't, so why should my other half be an unpaid baby sitter?!

As for notice of activities, yes I would tend to agree, but when giving a couple of weeks notice there are always little johnnies and Katie's who turn up on the day unprepared just because the parents are living in their Universe!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here