Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expensive School Trips

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Can't really compare what teachers do to private sector the main difference being that teachers have a huge responsibility to raise your kids morally and educationally.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Can't really compare what teachers do to private sector the main difference being that teachers have a huge responsibility to raise your kids morally and educationally.

Teachers are asked to do more and more of the jobs that used to be the domain of the parents.........then they get blamed when they haven't got enough time to do the basic things they are supposed to.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
My parents always gave me a choice - the school ski trip, the Easter Scout trip to the Norfolk Broads or Summer Scout Camp. That always seemed fair and I didn't feel that I missed out.

What really bugs me is the constant request for money from the schools. My step-daughter recently started at Blatch and we were immediately asked for money towards the school fund, art materials and design materials - HANG ON A f***ing MINUTE - my taxes pay for that stuff. My partner paid it but if it was me I'd refuse.

I went to Blatch (left in 09). The fiver towards Arts, then a fiver towards Textiles, then a fiver in Foodtech, and a fiver in Design...

FWIW i never ever went on epensive school trips during blatch.

I went to Hindleap Warren in year 4 and it was something like 99 quid and then france in year 6 but i am not sure what that cost, maybe 200? My sister did the same - but as soon as we went up to secondary school and saw trips for 7,8,9,10 hundred pounds we knew not to ask.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Teachers are asked to do more and more of the jobs that used to be the domain of the parents.........then they get blamed when they haven't got enough time to do the basic things they are supposed to.

Quite, and they have to pay for many resources out of their own pockets. I was always stunned when me and the Mrs would go out before term started and she'd buy all this art stuff and loads of other resources, bits for reading corners. lamps etc. All out of her own pocket it could come to a lot of money!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I went to California with Hove Park but their were only a few of us. We did out own fund raising.

The Headmaster told us that he didn't want the trip linked to the school so we sort of did it independently. Then while we were away the Argus got in touch with him and he took full credit for organizing it all and told them what a great school initiative it was.

Last edited by a moderator:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Quite, and they have to pay for many resources out of their own pockets. I was always stunned when me and the Mrs would go out before term started and she'd buy all this art stuff and loads of other resources, bits for reading corners. lamps etc. All out of her own pocket it could come to a lot of money!

yup, I am a teacher and although I in a very well stocked school I still seem to buy a lot of stuff out of my own pocket.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I used to like it when the other kids went off to their skiing trips cos it was always the posh army brats that went on them so the normal kids who liked to have a laugh and didn't think we were god's gift got run of the school. It was great.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Alot of my scouts parent moan about the pricing of school trips. When comparing them with scout summer camps they do seem overly expensive.

My Scout troop charges £150 for a week of camping. this includes all transport there and back, 4 meals a day, a day trip out (usually a theme park) plus activities including Climbing, abseiling, crate stacking, hiking, canoeing, caving/pot holeing, survival camping, using axe saw and kinife, zip wire/aierial runways, rifle shooting, archery, rafting and swimming. They also do all thier own cooking and fire lighting. Yes they have to do the washing up and they have a daily kit inspection but that is the worst part.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Alot of my scouts parent moan about the pricing of school trips. When comparing them with scout summer camps they do seem overly expensive.

My Scout troop charges £150 for a week of camping. this includes all transport there and back, 4 meals a day, a day trip out (usually a theme park) plus activities including Climbing, abseiling, crate stacking, hiking, canoeing, caving/pot holeing, survival camping, using axe saw and kinife, zip wire/aierial runways, rifle shooting, archery, rafting and swimming. They also do all thier own cooking and fire lighting. Yes they have to do the washing up and they have a daily kit inspection but that is the worst part.

150 for all that is great value. And the parents can chip off on their own hols for a week at the same time. Bargain.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
150 for all that is great value. And the parents can chip off on their own hols for a week at the same time. Bargain.

Pretty sure scouts let you pay monthly or in some installments too - i know guides does.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Pretty sure scouts let you pay monthly or in some installments too - i know guides does.

yep for parents that are struggling we offer discounts and in some case pay for the extra child to go, if more than one scout in the family. We also run a 'camp bank' which parents can pay into over the year to spread the cost.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

They do - my eldest son's camp next year is £200 for loads of activities, food and transport and he loves it. Add the £30 a term fees and it still puts the schools to shame when it comes to the costs of school trips, activities and indeed the fact they charge for standard things like art equipment. You'd think given a standard scout troop is around 30 heads and a school year can be ten times that amount they might be able to get an economies of scale !

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
At school we were going to be taken to the pictures in brighton to seepaint your wagonbut one of the parents complained about the content:facepalm: So we just walked round brighton,my oldest boy went to Kenya for 4 weeks and next year my other boy is off to Borneo with the school for 4 weeks??? how times have changed.

I think you got off lightly there, have you ever seen Paint Your Wagon? Ghastly film.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think you got off lightly there, have you ever seen Paint Your Wagon? Ghastly film.

Could have been worse - I had to go and see Shakespeare at Sussex Uni performed by a lesbian ! Only plus point was sitting behind the gorgeous Liz Jones :love:

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
My son had a week in Hindleap Warren in Year 3, £250 I think it was which I thought was fair enough, it was his first time away from home and I think it helped his independence.

However, this year he has a skiing trip, which is £1100. (Not cheap cos we are subsidising the teachers and their fights).I thought about opting out, but he would be the only one, and would have to spend the week with the Year 3s, so he would no doubt get teased.

I have told him we'll have to cut back on other things, which he is fine with, and he has contributed some of his pocket money/savings towards it. He has even volunteered a pile of old toys and books to sell on eBay.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My son had a week in Hindleap Warren in Year 3, £250 I think it was which I thought was fair enough, it was his first time away from home and I think it helped his independence.

However, this year he has a skiing trip, which is £1100. (Not cheap cos we are subsidising the teachers and their fights).I thought about opting out, but he would be the only one, and would have to spend the week with the Year 3s, so he would no doubt get teased.

I have told him we'll have to cut back on other things, which he is fine with, and he has contributed some of his pocket money/savings towards it. He has even volunteered a pile of old toys and books to sell on eBay.

That ski trip price is mental. When travel agents see schools I bet they cream themselves over how much extra they can charge.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Jnr. Skipper was refused a Canoeing, Geography trip to Thailand by his Mum because, and I quote " of the Polar Bears." This believe it or not has a rational explanation.
Instead he is going to Madagascar to save the Lemurs, which includes some SCUBA use. :facepalm:

And having been there it's not the safest of environments.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That ski trip price is mental. When travel agents see schools I bet they cream themselves over how much extra they can charge.

Tell me about it, I said £800 earlier it is actually £970 but thankfully only one tear to go. I suppose it helps that the elder has no interest in a holiday with us.

Just for good measure I think we lose most of child benefit next year as well so bye bye £1K

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here