Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expensive School Trips

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wasnt this question raised with the recent school teacher and pupil trip to France when it became known that they first got friendly on a trip to LA. ur school trip were either to a museum in London or Amberly

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As you asked, my folks refused to ever let me go on school trips. I only ever asked to go on 2 or 3, but each time was told no, too expensive.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
My parents always gave me a choice - the school ski trip, the Easter Scout trip to the Norfolk Broads or Summer Scout Camp. That always seemed fair and I didn't feel that I missed out.

What really bugs me is the constant request for money from the schools. My step-daughter recently started at Blatch and we were immediately asked for money towards the school fund, art materials and design materials - HANG ON A f***ing MINUTE - my taxes pay for that stuff. My partner paid it but if it was me I'd refuse.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I do remember Mum, and she was the only bread winner then, saving like crazy so I could go on the annual skiing trip to Switzerland.

I just said to her that I didn't want to go, and we then spent the money on an exceptional day out in London.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've been told no many times. I was okay to go to the Derbyshire schools camps in Mundesley, Norfolk and Kettleness, N Yorks and of course the day trips to Chatsworth etc, but definitely not the fancy dan trips to Boulougne!!

It's ludicrous that school children get sent on trips to NYC or wherever under some tenuous learning premise.... Only goes to further discriminate against the have nots....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Never got to go on trips myself except a climbing trip to Wales and a Sociology trip to Milton Keynes and plus compulsory CCF field camps. Some kids did get to go on the good trips some don't. It's life, it's not kids that get that upset about it it's the bloody parents who feel they and their kids are entitled to everything anyone else has. It's pathetic really. It's the way it has always been.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Jnr. Skipper was refused a Canoeing, Geography trip to Thailand by his Mum because, and I quote " of the Polar Bears." This believe it or not has a rational explanation.
Instead he is going to Madagascar to save the Lemurs, which includes some SCUBA use. :facepalm:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
A couple of teachers from a local Brighton comprehensive have recently been on a visit New York schools to 'see how they teach.' Nice jolly on the tax payer if you can get it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
A couple of teachers from a local Brighton comprehensive have recently been on a visit New York schools to 'see how they teach.' Nice jolly on the tax payer if you can get it.

My sister is a teacher ( not in Sussex ! ) and she's had funded trips to Australia, South Africa, Spain, India and Russia to see "how they teach" !

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Every year we have paid around £800 to send Mini skiing and it is not cheap.

Oh and he went to Barcelona one year and Holland next February as well.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Only real big trip we did was Skiing, about £700-£800 IIRC.

Everything else was relatively local!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'd rather my taxes pay for teachers to go abroad and pick up new skills than the other shit MP's waste them on. Sure it's a bit of a jolly, gotta get what you can out of such a shit paid job eh! Which one one of you would turn it down?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I'd rather my taxes pay for teachers to go abroad and pick up new skills than the other shit MP's waste them on. Sure it's a bit of a jolly, gotta get what you can out of such a shit paid job eh! Which one one of you would turn it down?

Such a shit paid job that my sister gets £50k+ and my ex-wfe ( who's also a teacher ) £35k+ !!!!!!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

a drop in the ocean compared to the excess and waste of politicians, Doctors conferences by drug companies etc. Might even improve the standard of teaching across the world.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Such a shit paid job that my sister gets £50k+ and my ex-wfe ( who's also a teacher ) £35k+ !!!!!!!

Apologies, what I meant was compared to MP's who waste way more money. Yes, they get paid okay, my ex was also a teacher on about 30 grand when we broke up I think. Not bad, not great.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

did someone mention teachers salaries......
.......and they get holidays....the holidays....don't forget the holidays...grrrr......they finish at 3.30 and start at 9......and the holidays....they just play games all day...the holidays

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
did someone mention teachers salaries......
.......and they get holidays....the holidays....don't forget the holidays...grrrr......they finish at 3.30 and start at 9......and the holidays....they just play games all day...the holidays

I'm sensing some sarcasm ! I don't deny teachers work hard but I'd argue they work no harder than most in private industry.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm sensing some sarcasm ! I don't deny teachers work hard but I'd argue they work no harder than most in private industry.

wasn't suggesting anything, I just noticed that often when teacher's salaries are mentioned NSC tends to veer of in a certain direction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here