Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Evolution debate.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Shall I? Nah, you're too easy a target. Good luck with the figuring out your faith thing.

*woooosh*

You're a lot of fun. That's twice now.

Nothing to "figure out", fella. Good luck with whatever you do.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
We understand about 2% of the world, I reckons. We're MUCH stupider than we think we are.

And yet many of the religious among us claim to know how the universe was created, who created it and why. At least science had the grace to start from a position of "we have absolutely no idea about anything, let's get to work."

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
You didn't answer my question. Who has taken offence to you not believing in God?

If youre not offended...you have nothing to worry about...
i said...Im sorry if ive offended.... if youre not offended...no biggie..

i think all reglion is brainwashing. Nothing more.

If youre a 'believer'...what makes you believe?

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Err, that I don't?

That was easy.

I saw that coming, but I was too slow on the edit :blush:

If you claim to be so different from the archetypal Christian that everyone assumes you are, how exactly do you differ? What makes you a special Christian and how do you justify your beliefs considering you're probably directly contradicting the doctrine of your religion?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think the media doesn't help this, as the most newsworthy people of faith are usually the extremes.

When someone I know finds out that I'm a Christian, they immediately assume about 20 things about me, pretty much all of which are completely wrong. Ignorance due to lack of proper information.

I do find that there is a divide between religious and non religeous people because the meaning of life changes dramatically. And whilst the two can be social together they are walking on different life paths.

My mum goes to Church and she has recently married someone who teaches religious studies, and I have never felt so distant because we have different realities. If someone believes in God for the right reasons I wouldn't want to spoil it for them, I am even happy for them, but there is a disconnect.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
If youre not offended...you have nothing to worry about...
i said...Im sorry if ive offended.... if youre not offended...no biggie..

i think all reglion is brainwashing. Nothing more.

If youre a 'believer'...what makes you believe?

I had some weird experiences that made me think that life might not be what it seems so I thought I'd research consciousness. Then I realised that no-one else can tell me what to believe so I started meditating about 8 years ago and continue to this day. I do belong to an international group of like-minded people but there is no religion to follow. You are left to your own devices and my beliefs originated and develop from my own experiences in consciousness.

My awareness of "something else" is there every moment of every day and it is getting stronger to the point that I am 100% sure that life is not as we think it is.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If you claim to be so different from the archetypal Christian that everyone assumes you are

...I think it's you that's making some huge assumptions here. Surely you can see that not every Christian believes the same thing? The fact that there are so many different churches and denominations each with their own theology kind of makes the idea of an "archetypal Christian" a load of old tosh.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Ooo, just popped in to see what this thread is all about and basically it's a bitch-fest- oneupmanship game I see.

I'm not offended in any way.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I do find that there is a divide between religious and non religeous people because the meaning of life changes dramatically. And whilst the two can be social together they are walking on different life paths.

My mum goes to Church and she has recently married someone who teaches religious studies, and I have never felt so distant because we have different realities. If someone believes in God for the right reasons I wouldn't want to spoil it for them, I am even happy for them, but there is a disconnect.

Don't disagree with any of that, and it is sad.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
As I said at the beginning it is an interesting but ultimately fruitless debate. I stand by my remark if it works for you then I am all for it. It's a bell I've heard rung countless times though and it just doesn't seem likely there is a God.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The frustrating thing is that when believers in God and the afterlife die, and disappear back to dust, they won't have a chance to find out they were wrong!

Annoying.

:thumbsup: This is one of those threads where Mr. Carlin's quote in my signature is so apposite

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As I said at the beginning it is an interesting but ultimately fruitless debate. I stand by my remark if it works for you then I am all for it. It's a bell I've heard rung countless times though and it just doesn't seem likely there is a God.

Agree with/appreciate pretty much all of that.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
...I think it's you that's making some huge assumptions here. Surely you can see that not every Christian believes the same thing? The fact that there are so many different churches and denominations each with their own theology kind of makes the idea of an "archetypal Christian" a load of old tosh.

The fact that there are so many different versions of the same rehashed "truth" says quite a lot about the reliability of its message IMO.

Oct 25, 2003
I cant be bothered to really get into this thread as its always the same old shit (not had one in a while to be fair). What i will say is that its good to have someone like Buzzer who is actually capable of an objectional non-blinkered adult debate...a rarity on this thread (i see that guy from prague is behaving like a child again)

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The problem I have with debates like this is that people believe that science can or has somehow falsified the existence of God, but it hasn't, far from it - possibly even the contrary.

You are right Science does not falsify the existence of God but in the case of The Creationists,specifically the ones that believe and preach the earth is around 6000 years old and that evolution does not exist Science can prove and does prove these claims are completely and utterly false.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here