Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Everton Points Deduction.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Fair point and I hope you're right.

The cynic in me feels that the lawyers will get called in, and this will get tied up in legal knots ad-infinitum. City have successfully swerved any serious sanction through this method for years, and you can bet your left bollock the Chelsea/Everton lawyers will soon be doing the same.

I completely forgot about this, First season I really started watching football.

Things are different now, rules in place rather than just people in a room picking random punishments

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Amazingly, Burnley are still below them.
No, it's not that amazing.

Burnley are utter dog shit who will be relegated by the end of March if they stick with the clown that is Vincent Kompany.

Sean Dyche back to Burnley? Wouldn't rule it out if the board have any ambition of staying in the Premier League and Dyche must be so pissed off that a promising season for Everton has turned into another relegation battle now.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I don’t think that they’ll get away with it. The EPL can do what they like, it’s their competition. I would expect that they have already spent a fortune ‘testing’ this with lawyers so will be confident.
Who do Everton appeal to? There are clear FFP rules, they have ADMITTED they breached them. I’d raise the points penalty on appeal.
As suspected, they gambled on income, and lost. Praying the same happens to Chelsea. If they don’t get Europe again this season……..

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I don’t think that they’ll get away with it. The EPL can do what they like, it’s their competition. I would expect that they have already spent a fortune ‘testing’ this with lawyers so will be confident.
Who do Everton appeal to? There are clear FFP rules, they have ADMITTED they breached them. I’d raise the points penalty on appeal.
As suspected, they gambled on income, and lost. Praying the same happens to Chelsea. If they don’t get Europe again this season……..
I think they'll take the points deduction. They'll still be in the PL at the end of the season.

What might hit them more is any payments they have to make to the three clubs suing them. At the very least it will cost millions defending their case. I suppose at least it makes it difficult for them to break FFP rules for a few years!

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I think they'll take the points deduction. They'll still be in the PL at the end of the season.

What might hit them more is any payments they have to make to the three clubs suing them. At the very least it will cost millions defending their case. I suppose at least it makes it difficult for them to break FFP rules for a few years!
777 might pull out of buying them if lawsuits are hanging over them.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
No, it's not that amazing.

Burnley are utter dog shit who will be relegated by the end of March if they stick with the clown that is Vincent Kompany.

Sean Dyche back to Burnley? Wouldn't rule it out if the board have any ambition of staying in the Premier League and Dyche must be so pissed off that a promising season for Everton has turned into another relegation battle now.
Before the start of the season, I thought Burnley had the best shot of staying up of the newly promoted teams. People seemed to be singing Kompany's praises.

What a massive let down they've been.

Not that I particularly care. F*** Burnley and their ugly club.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Maybe replace the Liver birds with a couple of Dodos 🦤 🦤

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Before the start of the season, I thought Burnley had the best shot of staying up of the newly promoted teams. People seemed to be singing Kompany's praises.

I don't mind Burnley.

On the other Everton going down would hilarious. All the over entitled scousers in their shiny new stadium in the Championship.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Given they stormed the Championship, with 101 points - the highest total in the Championship since Leicester City's 102 in 2013/14, and 10 points clear of Sheffield United in 2nd - it did seem likely that they'd do OK in the PL, but they lost top-scorer Nathan Tella (17 goals) to Leverkusen, Benson Manuel (12) has been injured since September, and Jay Rodriguez (10) is shitehouse.

It's also worth remembering that the Championship 2022/23 was a league in which it was possible for Chuba Akpom to score 28 goals...

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
new ffp rules. proceedings have to close in 3 months now. some people saying this has happened so quickly because leeds and burnley kicked off.

city and chelsea have much more historical charges (city’s aren’t all finance related anyway) so it will be a much longer process. still doubt either will receive a meaningful punishment. chelsea will go with the ‘different ownership, and we’ve been cooperating!!’ argument whereas city will drag it out in court for decades if need be. and of course i doubt the premier league (or sky) really want any of the big six to take a hit

I might have missed something or I’m misunderstanding your message but can you link to this? Had a quick Google buy the only thing I could find was teams predicting a loss would have to submit their reports 3 months earlier.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
... the Commission determined that Everton FC’s PSR Calculation for the relevant period resulted in a loss of £124.5m, as contended by the Premier League, which exceeded the threshold of £105m permitted under the PSRs. The commission concluded that a sporting sanction in the form of a 10-point deduction should be imposed.
So 0.5 point per £1M over?
If City were to get a proper penalty like Rangers did and got relegated to the bottom tier they would actually benefit.
I recall that was found to be unlawful or suchlike but by then, they were back in the top flight so largely meaningless.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
It seems to me that Everton expedited their case so that their punishment came in this season as they have a chance to stay in the PL with 3-4 poor teams. Next year there could be Leicester, Leeds and Saints which could make it much harder to stay up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here