Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe he's considered to be behind the club's record signing in the pecking order? Shame if he is, IMHO.
I don’t think there is a pecking order. It’s simply a combination of managing minutes, establishing partnerships, players getting on each other’s wavelengths and DeZ working out which combo is most likely to be effective against the opposition on the day. Fully expect to see our starting forward line changing almost every game this season with so many games to play (and with such a collection of decent strikers to choose from).

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Not sure why Evan isn’t a regular to be honest. Should be starting ahead of Welbeck all day long IMO.

Understand that RDZ wants to protect him but…. Surely as a young lad he wants to be playing everyday of the week! Such a wasted talent coming off the bench.

Maybe the Connolly experiment is having an impact. Gotta keep the youngsters hungry and working hard to impress.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ferguson is not just any 18-year-old - he is mature way beyond his years. For a young man so much in the spotlight it is incredible how level-headed and humble he is. Furthermore - his father is right there watching out for him. Barry Ferguson spent 4 years at Coventry before having a decent LOI career ultimately ended by injury - he knows the pressures on young players in professional football. He now works as a development officer with the FAI (with one of his responsibilities being player development programmes).
He is but I think @timbha was speaking from load management perspective. The sports scientists will have a better handle on that and be advising.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He didn't play much in pre-season and picked up a few knocks last season (albeit some weren't down to fatigue as much as thuggery). Perhaps they're nursing him back in.

The Albion will know all his stats in terms of muscle loading etc, and will manage him accordingly. I think De Zerbi is doing just fine playing him when he thinks it's right. Horses for courses etc. And it's not like he's not scoring when he comes on, such is his ability to tune straight into the pace of a game.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He is but I think @timbha was speaking from load management perspective. The sports scientists will have a better handle on that and be advising.
Thank you. Exactly.

I’m sure Evan is humble, mature, level headed, grounded, etc, etc but the temptation for someone his age is to play through little “knocks” and not know what his body is telling him. The club’s analysts, scientists, data, etc are better placed to know what’s best for him.

Psychologically RDZ played a blinder with Evan (and Adingra and Enciso) on Saturday reinforcing that he picks teams to win matches and no one is an automatic start. Evan came on as Luton were tiring, had a big impact, scored a goal, sealed the win and went home a happy man.

I’m sure Evan realises that he is in a good place and surrounded by “good” people with experience, talent, love and knowledge that will enhance him as a person and a player.

Who knows what might have happened if he had started!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I completely get the point about managing minutes and not heaping expectations on an 18 year old.

But there are big pressures working in the other direction, Welbeck is decent, but not a natural goalscorer. The difference between Welbeck up top and Ferguson up top, is probably about 12 goals per season, which is probably about 15 points per season.

If we have no midweek games, I'd like to see Evan, playing the 70 mins and Danny playing the 20.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I completely get the point about managing minutes and not heaping expectations on an 18 year old.

But there are big pressures working in the other direction, Welbeck is decent, but not a natural goalscorer. The difference between Welbeck up top and Ferguson up top, is probably about 12 goals per season, which is probably about 15 points per season.

If we have no midweek games, I'd like to see Evan, playing the 70 mins and Danny playing the 20.
That's a very simplistic and unfair view of Welbeck, he contributes to our overall game massively. There is no way you can say that playoing Ferguson more guarantees 15 more points.

We're managing Ferguson perfectly. He is a massive unit, seems to have got bigger over the summer (I mean muscle bulk not fat). He suffered with ankle injuries last season which is common for young players of that size. We don't need him putting too much pressure on his joints while he is young and still growing. It is different for a player of his size than a small speed merchant like say Michael Owen.

I'm happy to carry on as we are with Joao Pedro and Welbeck starting and Ferguson coming on for a while yet.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It's not that simple.......and there will likely be games where neither of them will start (Enciso, Adingra, Buonanotte at least provide other options). Load management also includes what goes on in training which we don't see, plus other health factors that are taken into account - the periodicity of cumulative load is key to injury avoidance

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can tell simply from Evan's sensible haircut that he's a good, humble lad, who understands how he's being managed, and is going to smash it every time he gets his chance.

There is simply no prospect of Evan turning up next week with a bleached blond crop and driving a chrome finish Lamborghini.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Welbeck led the line well on Saturday and Pedro looks a very talented player who needs the games to familiarise himself. It was then great fun watching Ferguson, Adringa, Enciso and Gilmour coming on after Luton had tired. They inject so much energy and flair. Lots of little flicks and youthful exuberance. With us in four competitions, all should get enough game time this year. As should Ayari and Buonanotte. It's sensible to carefully manage the workloads of the youngest. Despite their ability and maturity, they may be still developing physically. Not overloading them will be best for their careers in the long term.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Jeeees, the lad is only 18 and still growing. Managing his minutes in this PL is so important to his development and ensuring that he fulfils his athletic and football potential. We have cover in all forward positions at the moment and barring injury can rotate the workload. The problem will be when we do have injuries to
Welbeck and/or Ferguson. Not overplaying each of them for different reasons makes complete sense.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That's a very simplistic and unfair view of Welbeck, he contributes to our overall game massively. There is no way you can say that playoing Ferguson more guarantees 15 more points.

We're managing Ferguson perfectly. He is a massive unit, seems to have got bigger over the summer (I mean muscle bulk not fat). He suffered with ankle injuries last season which is common for young players of that size. We don't need him putting too much pressure on his joints while he is young and still growing. It is different for a player of his size than a small speed merchant like say Michael Owen.

I'm happy to carry on as we are with Joao Pedro and Welbeck starting and Ferguson coming on for a while yet.
Especially as Welbeck plays mostly as a 10 these days.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not sure is unfair, while Welbeck's contribution is emense he doesn't score much. i exepct Ferguson to be getting regular double figures, 15+ given the games.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think the answer is we have a squad not a regular first 11. The days of Nelson and Bremner up front every week are long gone. I would have thought people would be used to it by now.
Yet, we still have at least 6 players who will play week in, week out when fit. Last season, there was no question over the places of Dunk, Estupinan, Caicedo, MacAllister, March, Gross and after RDZ came in, Mitoma.

Yes we have players who aren't automatic selections and will be rotated around. But more than half of our starting XI is already taken up.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
not sure is unfair, while Welbeck's contribution is emense he doesn't score much. i exepct Ferguson to be getting regular double figures, 15+ given the games.
Yes. Welbeck still not made double figures in a season in 15 years as a pro.

I'm not knocking him, as he offers a lot, but strikers are judged on goals. And the fella out of the team is going to score a lot more than the fella in the team.

And in terms of the other stuff, the hold up play, the running in behind, I think Evan is pretty much on the same level already.

To be clear, i'm not criticising the approach of RDZ and the club on this, I just think it's near enough certain that the extra goalscoring power of Evan will make his case for inclusion overwhelming before too much longer.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can tell simply from Evan's sensible haircut that he's a good, humble lad.
Whilst you're almost definitely correct, I hope you can understand that this post does slightly make you sound about 80. :smile:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Can I just say that while I understand everything everyone is saying about rotation, and long seasons, and Europa, and blooding him in, and all that, I just want to see him play every minute of every match?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here