Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yet, we still have at least 6 players who will play week in, week out when fit. Last season, there was no question over the places of Dunk, Estupinan, Caicedo, MacAllister, March, Gross and after RDZ came in, Mitoma.

Yes we have players who aren't automatic selections and will be rotated around. But more than half of our starting XI is already taken up.
There’s no outright forwards on that list of regular starters though. Gross also plays in multiple positions unlike Ferguson so not a good comparison. Perhaps as the squad develops your list will get shorter rather than longer anyway.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Fairly standard with LOI clubs - English clubs get young players for a small fee but including a sell-on clause. It was the same with Jamie Mullins who joined Brighton from Bohs in January - undisclosed fee with a sell-on clause.

Although things have changed since Brexit - it is very noticeable that the average age of League of Ireland players has dropped dramatically since Brexit - this is because Irish players have to be 18 years-old before they can sign for a British team (they can go to EU countries at 16). Several of the Bohs first team are under 20 - even more from the St. Pats Team. Bohs played St. Pats on Friday (in a cracking game that ended 0-0) and one of the Pats players was 15 - Mason Melia - and he is doing similar things in Ireland to Even Ferguson before he went to Brighton. On one occasion during the he chased back and put in a tremendous crunching tackle and then blocked a shot to prevent a goal - it was incredible to watch. Keep and eye out for him.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
By the way - there is another Irish striker who really came of age last weekend that Brighton should keep an eye on. On his way to a MOTM performance Sinclair Armstrong scored one and set up a second in QPRs win at Cardiff. He played well in 14 games for QPR last season but the kid looks like he has grown three inches and put on about two stone of muscle over the summer - he has gone from a boy to a man in football terms. He has definitely jumped the queue for the forward line with Ireland - and Irish fans are now starting to lick their chops at the prospect of seeing Ferguson and Armstrong in an Irish team together. His performance is the talk of Irish fans forums for the last couple of days.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Given how good Evan is I think we can confidently say there's no other young Irish strikers getting close. To be that lucky is a stretch even for the Irish.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
not sure is unfair, while Welbeck's contribution is emense he doesn't score much. i exepct Ferguson to be getting regular double figures, 15+ given the games.

… except Evan could break down physically, there’s a far greater chance of that at his age if overplayed, meaning the guaranteed +15 points becomes a minus.

Imho RDZ has got the perfect balance.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Given how good Evan is I think we can confidently say there's no other young Irish strikers getting close. To be that lucky is a stretch even for the Irish.
Oh yea - Ferguson is streets ahead of anyone else at this point.

Ireland does not have the population to produce a pool of players of the standard Ferguson can achieve. One is celebration time - two at the same time would be start pinching yourself.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh yea - Ferguson is streets ahead of anyone else at this point.

Ireland does not have the population to produce a pool of players of the standard Ferguson can achieve. One is celebration time - two at the same time would be start pinching yourself.

Dreaming. If only you had a 24 year old Sheedy, Houghton and Ronnie Whelan.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Can I just say that while I understand everything everyone is saying about rotation, and long seasons, and Europa, and blooding him in, and all that, I just want to see him play every minute of every match?
Understandable from a fan’s point of view. It’s also the honest reason the question is even asked. I’m hoping he plays at Wolves on Saturday.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Dreaming. If only you had a 24 year old Sheedy, Houghton and Ronnie Whelan.
The Irish squad that qualified for the Euros in 1988 had

Mark Lawrenson
Ronnie Whelan
Ray Houghton
John Aldridge
(all Liverpool)
Kevin Moran
Paul McGrath
Liam O'Brien
Frank Stapleton (he joined Ajax in 1987)
(Man Utd)
Tony Galvin
Chris Hughton
(Spurs)
Liam Brady (then at West Ham)
Niall Quinn
David O'Leary
(Arsenal)
Kevin Sheedy (Everton)
Pat Bonnar
Mick McCarthy
Chris Morris
(Celtic)

Those were the days 😭😭😭😭

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Mark Lawrenson
Ronnie Whelan
Ray Houghton
John Aldridge
(all Liverpool)
Kevin Moran
Paul McGrath
Liam O'Brien
(Man Utd)
Tony Galvin
Chris Hughton
(Spurs)
Niall Quinn
David O'Leary
(Arsenal)
Kevin Sheedy (Everton)
Pat Bonnar
Mick McCarthy
Chris Morris
(Celtic)

Those were the days 😭😭😭😭

Funnily enough, I'd checked out the 11 that beat England in Germany.

I singled out Houghton, Sheedy and Whelan because they were all brilliant First Division players, who would've easily have made an England squad and more. Ronnie Whelan was a great player for 10+ players.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Mark Lawrenson
Ronnie Whelan
Ray Houghton
John Aldridge
(all Liverpool)
Kevin Moran
Paul McGrath
Liam O'Brien
(Man Utd)
Tony Galvin
Chris Hughton
(Spurs)
Niall Quinn
David O'Leary
(Arsenal)
Kevin Sheedy (Everton)
Pat Bonnar
Mick McCarthy
Chris Morris
(Celtic)

Those were the days 😭😭😭😭
If you get a golden generation, enjoy it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here