Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Reda Khadra being sent back by Sheffield Utd. Had an excellent season at Blackburn last season with issues at Sheffield this.

21 so 3 years older than Ferguson.

Lack of talent? Bad coaching? Head wrong? No idea, just saying that loans aren't the magic formula.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you are taking the comparisons too literally. The comparison is with them being given a go at 18 not Ferguson is the next Rooney or Shearer. Bent debuted at 17 in the PL btw and I did make a comparison with Heskey at 18 if that is more palatable?
But it's the same comparisons and the level is too high - hence bring DB into the equation (after checking when he made his debut).

Starting with Rooney and there's only one place to go.
We know because we keep doing the same thing.

"If we're lucky we could have the next Darren Bent on our hands".
Is still saying 'the greatest striker ever' just without the luggage!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think we should stop comparing Evan to this player and that, and just judge him on his own merits. It's pretty evident that the staff at the club are a good judge of a player and I trust them implicitly to make the right decisions regarding his future.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Few of the other youngest appearances/scorers in the Premier League

Matthew Briggs
Izzy Brown
James Vaughan
Andy Turner
Federico Macheda
Jack Robinson
Jose Baxter

For every Wayne Rooney :wink:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But it's the same comparisons and the level is too high - hence bring DB into the equation (after checking when he made his debut).

No comparisons - just examples. The loan route worked well for, say, White and Sanchez. If people think Ferguson needs to go out on loan, that is not compating him to White or Sanchez.
Similarly, not going out on loan, and learning on the job, so to speak. worked for Rooney and Owen ......... and Solly March. If people have an opinion that Ferguson does not need to go out on loan (which is what some people are arguing) they are not comparing him to anybody.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Don't think anybody is saying Ferguson is the next Rooney or whoever. They're just citing examples where players who clearly had the talent and right structure around them started their careers at the top level as teenagers and succeeded. It's going to take a few seasons before we know whether Ferguson is a Rooney or a Connolly or something in between. Point is, we can look back at history and see that some players who started at 18 in the EPL turned out to be mega stars, and some turned out to be useless, and some turned out to be good footballers just not great ones.

Those saying we should send Ferguson out on loan because "look what happened to Connolly" are just as bad as anyone who says "we should keep him at the club because look what happened with Rooney". Not seen many saying the latter, though, the Rooney etc examples only came up as a counter to the "look what happened to Connolly" justifications for saying he should go out on loan.

Me personally: I'm happy to let the club (and Ferguson himself) make the decision on what is right for Ferguson at the current time. He's been given a couple of opportunities and taken them well. From here, the club has a decision to make: keep him in and around the 1st team and continue to blood him and see how he goes, or send him out on loan (I'm sure we'll have clubs snapping at our fingers to get him). I suspect, however, that he'll stay and be rotated between starts and coming on as a sub. Blooding him via the EPL will help manage Welbeck's workload, it gives Trossard more competition for him place, and it gives us the option of playing both Welbeck and Ferguson if the game warrants it.

Ferguson - Welbeck
Mitoma - Mac Allister - Caicedo - March
Veltman - Dunk - Colwill - Estupinan
Sanchez​

Formation would be fluid between 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 (Welbeck dropping into a 3 with Mitoma and March), or 4-4-1-1.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't think anybody is saying Ferguson is the next Rooney or whoever. They're just citing examples where players who clearly had the talent and right structure around them started their careers at the top level as teenagers and succeeded. It's going to take a few seasons before we know whether Ferguson is a Rooney or a Connolly or something in between. Point is, we can look back at history and see that some players who started at 18 in the EPL turned out to be mega stars, and some turned out to be useless, and some turned out to be good footballers just not great ones.

Those saying we should send Ferguson out on loan because "look what happened to Connolly" are just as bad as anyone who says "we should keep him at the club because look what happened with Rooney". Not seen many saying the latter, though, the Rooney etc examples only came up as a counter to the "look what happened to Connolly" justifications for saying he should go out on loan.

Me personally: I'm happy to let the club (and Ferguson himself) make the decision on what is right for Ferguson at the current time. He's been given a couple of opportunities and taken them well. From here, the club has a decision to make: keep him in and around the 1st team and continue to blood him and see how he goes, or send him out on loan (I'm sure we'll have clubs snapping at our fingers to get him). I suspect, however, that he'll stay and be rotated between starts and coming on as a sub. Blooding him via the EPL will help manage Welbeck's workload, it gives Trossard more competition for him place, and it gives us the option of playing both Welbeck and Ferguson if the game warrants it.

Ferguson - Welbeck
Sanchez​

Formation would be fluid between 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 (Welbeck dropping into a 3 with Mitoma and March), or 4-4-1-1.
They are all over this thread.
It might not be explicit but 'Rooney did it why can't Freguson' is all over the thread.

There's a reason why Rooney is always mentioned.
And a further reason why there's been so many 'next Wayne Rooney's' since.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If 0 is Connolly and 10 in Roonaldo I think we've got a 7 on ours hands, possibly 8. I think he's class.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Ferguson - Welbeck
Sanchez​

Top post.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
They are all over this thread.
It might not be explicit but 'Rooney did it why can't Freguson' is all over the thread.

There's a reason why Rooney is always mentioned.
And a further reason why there's been so many 'next Wayne Rooney's' since.
Guess we're not interpreting those posts in the same way then. The whole Rooney discussion in this thread came up as a counterpoint to the "send him on loan because Connolly" posts, and I've interpreted those as I described above. Plenty of people also getting excited about Ferguson's potential too, I grant that, and I think that excitement is warranted personally. Exactly how good he could be remains to be seen, but in relation to the "loan, or don't loan" argument I've felt it's been entirely reasonable to bring up Rooney et al. Just as it is also reasonable to bring up Connolly and other failed teenage footballers.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
This guy looks the real deal, look at his reaction to hitting the post, not happy. His reaction to scoring against Arsenal = get the ball back. His reaction to Everton not putting the ball out when his team mate needed attention = whack one of their players. Everton goal - straight to Sarmiento to thank him. Oh and his penalty v Charlton was excellent, unlike others…..
He looks like he’s been an EPL striker for years!!

When Shearer was asked if he was the next Gary Lineker he replied no, he was the first Alan Shearer. Ferguson comes across as being in that mould.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Both Welbeck and Undav are available for Boro tomorrow according to RDZ.
It will be interesting to see if we get some form of inverted selection with Welbeck & Trossard playing when they would normally be on the bench waiting to be super heroes replacing junior members. Depending on formation , if only one up front he has to give Undav some time. Might be better though to play Wellbeck and Undav to see how they might fit together.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Guess we're not interpreting those posts in the same way then. The whole Rooney discussion in this thread came up as a counterpoint to the "send him on loan because Connolly" posts, and I've interpreted those as I described above. Plenty of people also getting excited about Ferguson's potential too, I grant that, and I think that excitement is warranted personally. Exactly how good he could be remains to be seen, but in relation to the "loan, or don't loan" argument I've felt it's been entirely reasonable to bring up Rooney et al. Just as it is also reasonable to bring up Connolly and other failed teenage footballers.
Exactly. I think only Stat has seen this as a direct comparison. I don't actually remember anyone comparing Connolly or any other young striking prospects to Rooney either. :shrug:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This guy looks the real deal, look at his reaction to hitting the post, not happy. His reaction to scoring against Arsenal = get the ball back. His reaction to Everton not putting the ball out when his team mate needed attention = whack one of their players. Everton goal - straight to Sarmiento to thank him. Oh and his penalty v Charlton was excellent, unlike others…..
He looks like he’s been an EPL striker for years!!

When Shearer was asked if he was the next Gary Lineker he replied no, he was the first Alan Shearer. Ferguson comes across as being in that mould.
I loved it when he barged the Everton player over to stop play, then tore into the referee for not stopping play earlier. He’s big, holds the ball up well, has a strong shot, seems instinctive (that goal at FGR was really good) and has a bit of fire in his belly.

I think he’ll do alright at this game.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I loved it when he barged the Everton player over to stop play, then tore into the referee for not stopping play earlier. He’s big, holds the ball up well, has a strong shot, seems instinctive (that goal at FGR was really good) and has a bit of fire in his belly.

I think he’ll do alright at this game.
Just how big is he? According to Google, he's 6'2" (fair enough) and 291lbs!!! (almost 21 stone) Surely that's not true? He should be playing linebacker in the NFL.

I'm thinking somebody mistyped something somewhere and he's actually 191lbs? or maybe 192lbs?

2023-01-06 11.45.48 www.google.com aec716a6541e.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here