Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm aware of cases in other sports of players being ruined by bad coaching. It's possibly difficult to transfer those examples to football, but when bringing a young player through and developing them I'm sure you can add or subtract a few months to how they come along depending on how you handle them.
The management/personality side will be more important, but that's so unique to each case I don't see any point in citing prior examples.
Your first point, quite, but you don't expect that to happen in elite football (and by that I mean probably as far down as halfway in League 1, and certainly anywhere Brighton would loan out to).

I do love the human capacity to see patterns where none exists, though. And I plead 'guilty' to doing that myself :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Watch him for March’s goal… lays it off then makes an excellent quick run off the ball partly causing Tarman to slip as he was pointing and making the Ukrainian lad aware of him - creating space for Solly to do what he did. Class workrate and intelligence for such a young lad.
You mean Tarman's beached Salmon impression. :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You mean Tarman's beached Salmon impression. :lolol:
Yes it was incredible - watch his arm pointing at Ferguson just before it - it def helped cause the flapping seal 🤣

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Your first point, quite, but you don't expect that to happen in elite football (and by that I mean probably as far down as halfway in League 1, and certainly anywhere Brighton would loan out to).

I do love the human capacity to see patterns where none exists, though. And I plead 'guilty' to doing that myself :lolol:
You don't expect people in elite football to blast the ball over from about 3' out, but it happens.
It's all just so individual, Ferguson may well benefit from staying where another player at the same age would be better going to a Championship club for half a season, another player might find that particular championship club is the worst place in the world but really push on somewhere else.
I am, basically, agreeing with you. Arguably making the conversation a total waste of time and effort. :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep would much rather the club signed a fully functioning centre forward as a stop gap between Welbeck and Ferguson.
As proven with Maupay it's not as if there's much depreciation.
Ferguson has a lot to learn, and I'm sure would be better suited out of the lime light.
But the rest of the team play better with a focal point, occupying the opposition centre backs.
I’m not sure about that.

Owen, Fowler, Rooney, Shearer all thrived immediately at the highest level when the same age as Ferguson. Youth if anything meant they lacked inhibitions, they simply carried on what they’d done through all age groups, destroying defences and tucking away bucketloads of goals. Whilst learning with top pro’s.

Ferguson may well continue to thrive in EPL games, helped by playing with great players.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You don't expect people in elite football to blast the ball over from about 3' out, but it happens.
It's all just so individual, Ferguson may well benefit from staying where another player at the same age would be better going to a Championship club for half a season, another player might find that particular championship club is the worst place in the world but really push on somewhere else.
I am, basically, agreeing with you. Arguably making the conversation a total waste of time and effort. :lolol:
NSC is all about like minded people violently agreeing with one another :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm probably as excited by Evan as most others on here. However, I'll be a lot happier when Welbz is fit, starting regularly and RDZ is saying 'you're off after 70 mins' or 'you're not starting this week Danny'.

Evan is a brilliant young prospect who could well be amazing. We pay Danny to take the pressure (y)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just had a look at his Insta account, thankfully no pictures of him dressed as Hugh Hefner, no bimbos and no ostentatious and loud designer gear. Add this to no obvious tattoos and level headed interviews I have a hunch he’ll progressive perfectly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m not sure about that.

Owen, Fowler, Rooney, Shearer all thrived immediately at the highest level when the same age as Ferguson. Youth if anything meant they lacked inhibitions, they simply carried on what they’d done through all age groups, destroying defences and tucking away bucketloads of goals. Whilst learning with top pro’s.

Ferguson may well continue to thrive in EPL games, helped by playing with great players.
But you're sure enough to liken him to some of the best of the best, 3 games into his EPL career?

Which is my point.
He's not scoring 200+ EPL goals.

It wouldn't be such a red rag if you likening him to Darren Bent, but no he's either Rooney or Connolly.

The fact that he can't just be an 18 year old lad, learning his trade, here makes me think he ought to be doing that elsewhere.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But you're sure enough to liken him to some of the best of the best, 3 games into his EPL career?

Which is my point.

It wouldn't be such a red rag if you likening him to Darren Bent, but no he's either Rooney or Connolly.

The fact that he can't just be an 18 year old lad, learning his trade, here makes me think he ought to be doing that elsewhere.
Age is just a number, to an extent. He may be and it initially appears that’s he’s mature for his age, level headed and hungry to learn. Whilst we can all think of examples of footballers 5+ years older than Ferguson who haven’t/didn’t grow up, who lost focus, got side tracked by thinking they’d made it.

I’m relaxed in trusting the club on this, they’re the experts and they’ll be focused on maximising Ferguson’s potential and wellbeing.

It may be that Ferguson won’t spend a season or two in the EFL, many top players didn’t.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Agree he can't and shouldn't have to do it all on his own so he's not the full answer because we will need to replace Undav (probably) and I am not sure how much game time we will get from Welbeck .
Both Welbeck and Undav are available for Boro tomorrow according to RDZ.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I'm aware of cases in other sports of players being ruined by bad coaching. It's possibly difficult to transfer those examples to football, but when bringing a young player through and developing them I'm sure you can add or subtract a few months to how they come along depending on how you handle them.
The management/personality side will be more important, but that's so unique to each case I don't see any point in citing prior examples.
Quite. From a different sport, but Steve Smith went through a bad patch in test cricket some years ago that, from memory, was induced by a coach trying to tinker with his fidgety trigger movement because it wasn't seen as being the right technique. Except it is the right technique for Smith, and he needs to be given the freedom by the coach to play that way.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Quite. From a different sport, but Steve Smith went through a bad patch in test cricket some years ago that, from memory, was induced by a coach trying to tinker with his fidgety trigger movement because it wasn't seen as being the right technique. Except it is the right technique for Smith, and he needs to be given the freedom by the coach to play that way.
Similar with James Anderson's bowling action. And obviously those are the examples we know of because the player came back from it.
Anything dependent on technique can be ruined by a coach who doesn't know what they're doing.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Which is my point.

I think you are taking the comparisons too literally. The comparison is with them being given a go at 18 not Ferguson is the next Rooney or Shearer. Bent debuted at 17 in the PL btw and I did make a comparison with Heskey at 18 if that is more palatable?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I think you are taking the comparisons too literally. The comparison is with them being given a go at 18 not Ferguson is the next Rooney or Shearer. Bent debuted at 17 in the PL btw and I did make a comparison with Heskey at 18 if that is more palatable?
We're unlikely to have many examples of players ruined by being thrown in too early in the top division, because by definition most of those players won't have played much and we probably won't have noticed them.
Also of course, it's difficult to know whether those players could have done any better if they'd been handled differently.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We're unlikely to have many examples of players ruined by being thrown in too early in the top division, because by definition most of those players won't have played much and we probably won't have noticed them.
Also of course, it's difficult to know whether those players could have done any better if they'd been handled differently.
And that's equally difficult because throwing them in may have been exactly the right thing to do - they just weren't good enough to succeed. That isn't them ruined, it's just they didn't make the grade. Those are the breaks at the highest level.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seriously though, I am not worried about finding a striker this window now
Same here. It’s mildly amusing though, that the 20 goals a season striker we so desperately needed was already at the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here