Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Bearing in mind the quality of their senior squad, I’m actually quite surprised he’s not been called up to play for them.

I’m sure JRG will be along shortly to correct me on that.

I’ll do it for him.

There are currently 6 better young strikers than Evan in the Irish fold including the forward who played alongside side him for the U21s vs Israel and totally outshone him.

We have amongst the best line-up of young striker talent in Europe. The other 5 are:

Troy Parrott - 20 (potential world class)

Michael Obafemi - 22 (Will be an EPL legend)

Adam Idah - 21 (his strike rate for Norwich is unparalleled, a great future is coming his way)

Mipo Odubeko - 19 (the next Antonio for West Ham)

Joshua Kayode - 22 (he can thrive for MK Dons - probably off to Spurs or something for £40m+)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I’ll do it for him.

There are currently 6 better young strikers than Evan in the Irish fold including the forward who played alongside side him for the U21s vs Israel and totally outshone him.

We have amongst the best line-up of young striker talent in Europe. The other 5 are:

Adam Idah - 21 (his strike rate for Norwich is unparalleled, a great future is coming his way)

Joshua Kayode - 22 (he can thrive for MK Dons - probably off to Spurs or something for £40m+)

You're way under the word count, I'm afraid.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’ll do it for him.

47 appearances , 4 goals for Norwich .
None in 13 for roi.

Ferguson will be ahead of the lot of them within a year, if he isn’t already.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Tricky decisions to be made with Evan... seems to be banging on the door for some first team action, but maybe a January loan would better suit his development.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tricky decisions to be made with Evan... seems to be banging on the door for some first team action, but maybe a January loan would better suit his development.

Could be - although I'm not a fan of half season loans; not really enough time to get in, adapt, etc. The most successful one I can think of is White's loan to Peterborough - and even that was probably the least successful of his loans.
I'd prefer a full season loan next season. Much will depend, IMHO, on how much RdZ rates and trusts Undav as back up to Welbeck - his Albion career has't exactly taken off so far (and yes, I realise it's difficult to break into a winning team).

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Bearing in mind the quality of their senior squad, I’m actually quite surprised he’s not been called up to play for them.

I’m sure JRG will be along shortly to correct me on that.

Really -

I have been touting Ferguson long before he signed for Brighton - since I saw him pay for Bohemians against Chelsea as a 14-year-old.

I think Ferguson is going to be the best player in an Irish jersey since Roy Keane.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I’ll do it for him.

Nah - you got the list wrong -

Ferguson is not the best of those available - yet - but he will be very shortly. He is progressing at a pace that De Zerbi will have no choice but to put him in the team in the near future.

Obafemi is currently the best of the young Irish strikers - Swansea wanted £20million for him when Middlesbrough tried to sign him in August. If he keeps progressing then he will be in the PL by next season

Parrott seems to have lost his way a bit - the loan at Ipswich went wrong for him but he played well at MKDons. Manning had him playing as a no. 10 and it seemed to suit him better as a player. At Preston he is back as an out and out striker and I suspect that Spurs wanted that to be his position as a condition of his loan. He is still a young kid but hasn't kicked on as well as expected a couple of years ago.

Adam Idah is an excellent player and had established himself as a starter for Norwich in the PL before he suffered a knee injury. He was out for the season - came back a feww weeks ago, scored on his return but then suffered an injury setback on the same knee. Hopefully Norwich will give him the time he needs. Idah is not an out and out goalscorer - but he has a huge impact on games, holds up the ball very well, has pace and is a good crosser of the ball - reminds me of a more talented version of Shane Long.

Odubeko is still very young and raw - a long way to go for him - Kayode has never impressed me. There are a number of other kids showing potential as strikers - Cristiano Fitzgerald who plays with Boavista, Kevin Zefi who is at Inter Milan, Caden McLoughlin who plays for Villareal, Johnny Kenny at Celtic, Rocco Vata (Rudi Vata's son) at Celtic, and probably the best of the bunch Sam Curtis who has just turned 16 and in playing in the LoI for St. Pats (a very similar player to Ferguson and looks like he has the same level of talent and maturity).

But Ferguson is by far and away the Irish player with the biggest upside when it comes to potential.

You guys need to remember that Ireland is a small country that has a limited pool of players to pick from - and soccer has to compete with Gaelic football and hurling both of which are far more high profile sports in Ireland (something that most other smaller countries do not have). Ireland has a lot of talented kids coming through at the moment - time will tell if they fulfill their potential - but they are the best crop of kids since the 1998 underage teams coached by Brian Kerr who had the likes of Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Richard Dunne, Stephen McPhail, Gary Doherty, Barry Quinn, John O'Shea, Andy Reid, Liam Miller, Jon Douglas, Graham Barrett, Jim Goodwin, Joe Murphy and Ritchie Partridge.

All we need to do now is to get rid of Stephen Kenny as manager

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Ferguson is not the best of those available - yet - but he will be very shortly. He is progressing at a pace that De Zerbi will have no choice but to put him in the team in the near future.

Obafemi is currently the best of the young Irish strikers - Swansea wanted £20million for him when Middlesbrough tried to sign him in August. If he keeps progressing then he will be in the PL by next season

Parrott seems to have lost his way a bit - the loan at Ipswich went wrong for him but he played well at MKDons. Manning had him playing as a no. 10 and it seemed to suit him better as a player. At Preston he is back as an out and out striker and I suspect that Spurs wanted that to be his position as a condition of his loan. He is still a young kid but hasn't kicked on as well as expected a couple of years ago.

Adam Idah is an excellent player and had established himself as a starter for Norwich in the PL before he suffered a knee injury. He was out for the season - came back a feww weeks ago, scored on his return but then suffered an injury setback on the same knee. Hopefully Norwich will give him the time he needs. Idah is not an out and out goalscorer - but he has a huge impact on games, holds up the ball very well, has pace and is a good crosser of the ball - reminds me of a more talented version of Shane Long.

Odubeko is still very young and raw - a long way to go for him - Kayode has never impressed me. There are a number of other kids showing potential as strikers - Cristiano Fitzgerald who plays with Boavista, Kevin Zefi who is at Inter Milan, Caden McLoughlin who plays for Villareal, Johnny Kenny at Celtic, Rocco Vata (Rudi Vata's son) at Celtic, and probably the best of the bunch Sam Curtis who has just turned 16 and in playing in the LoI for St. Pats (a very similar player to Ferguson and looks like he has the same level of talent and maturity).

But Ferguson is by far and away the Irish player with the biggest upside when it comes to potential.

You guys need to remember that Ireland is a small country that has a limited pool of players to pick from - and soccer has to compete with Gaelic football and hurling both of which are far more high profile sports in Ireland (something that most other smaller countries do not have). Ireland has a lot of talented kids coming through at the moment - time will tell if they fulfill their potential - but they are the best crop of kids since the 1998 underage teams coached by Brian Kerr who had the likes of Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Richard Dunne, Stephen McPhail, Gary Doherty, Barry Quinn, John O'Shea, Andy Reid, Liam Miller, Jon Douglas, Graham Barrett, Jim Goodwin, Joe Murphy and Ritchie Partridge.

Thank you for that !

Great knowledge!

In your opinion, what do you think of Connolly?

Also do you think Moran can make the grade ?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I stand corrected! Brilliant knowledge.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

As good as this post is, I have one slight problem with it.

How has Graham Barrett made that list? :lolol:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
As good as this post is, I have one slight problem with it.

How has Graham Barrett made that list? :lolol:

Barrett had huge potential when he was at Arsenal - injuries derailed his career - every time he got a run of games the injury bug hit him again. Richie Partridge was probably the most talented of those I listed - I saw him play for the Irish underage teams and he as incredible as an 17-18 year-old - the best I have ever seen. His career was destroyed by injury while he was at Liverpool. He played for many years in the lower leagues but injuries always caused him problems. Unfortunately, so many talented kids seccumb to injury before they can make their mark (probably because they are pushed too hard at such a young age).

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Barrett had huge potential when he was at Arsenal - injuries derailed his career - every time he got a run of games the injury bug hit him again. Richie Partridge was probably the most talented of those I listed - I saw him play for the Irish underage teams and he as incredible as an 17-18 year-old. His career was destroyed by injury while he was at Liverpool. He played for many years in the lower leagues but injuries always caused him problems. Unfortunately, so many talented kids seccumb to injury before they can make their mark (probably because they are pushed too hard at such a young age).

Richie Partridge was amazing in one of the old Champ Manager games. Him and Scott (not Darren) Huckerby tearing up the wings.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Aaron Connolly started for the Irish U-21s in the second leg of their play-off with Israel - but he had a frustrating time, including missing a sitter. Connolly was replaced by Ferguson in extra-time. Ferguson was only on for 15 mins and had his penalty saved in the shoot-out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here