Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Semi Final - Netherlands vs England

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Was their goal savable by other keepers?

ITV spent HT speaking of the greatest strikes you’ll ever likely to see.
Sorry I was being sarcastic there, a lot of people were calling for him to be dropped earlier in the tournament.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I'm a bit perplexed regarding the penalty - And I think I'm the minority - How can it NOT be a penalty? I haven't listened to the punditry but it appears to fall in to the category of 'anywhere else on the pitch' no argument but not a penalty?!?
Spot on, Dumfries was second to the ball, anywhere else its a foul, don't understand why people think its not a pen?

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
He was NOT out of position. Only a shot 6 inches inside the post does him. FFS!
Okay, so that was my first impression as I said Bart was a little out of position, I have looked at it again and still think this way, he could have been a foot closer and six inches towards his far post ideally. It's a tough job and positioning is everything. He got down quick enough, I bet he will be looking at the very same footage and thinking the same.
The good news is he should have gained so much and we hopefully will reap the rewards this season.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone else notice those middle-aged Dutch ladies in little sparkly dresses? Just saying.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Spot on, Dumfries was second to the ball, anywhere else its a foul, don't understand why people think its not a pen?
Oh god, thank you! I thought I was going mad last night listening to the "experts". I'd be raging if that had gone against England, but under the current laws that's a penalty. Now, you can argue whether the current law is too harsh or whether VAR should be getting involved, but I'm not sure what the officials are supposed to do.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Definitely a footballing milestone for England last night. We've never knocked a big side out of a tournament away from home soil, that was finally settled last night.

A bit fortunate with the pen decision but the best team won, the Dutch at times looked like England earlier in the tournament. Roll on Sunday, it won't be easy but its one game and they'll be up for it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They were shown a few times on the tv. As an aside, the ARD televison set was on an open platform in the middle tier of the England end. The showed footage at full-time of the tv crew rushing out with umbrellas to protect Bastian Schweinstiger and his co-host for beer when England scored, and more footage of the England fans leaning over at him and, well, gurning is the best way to describe it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Look on the Brightside...
What. great night it was.

At one point Brandon Flowers asked the crowd if it was still 1-1 and as the game approached the end, they stopped playing and the massive screen behind them on the stage was tuned into the game. Flowers sat down and watched along with everyone else.

When the final whistle went, streamer canons fired, the whole place went loopy and they went straight into Mr Brightside. I've seen them live a lot of times, but that was undoubtedly the most frenetic and joyous response to the track.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

At one point Brandon Flowers asked the crowd if it was still 1-1 and as the game approached the end, they stopped playing and the massive screen behind them on the stage was tuned into the game. Flowers sat down and watched along with everyone else.

When the final whistle went, streamer canons fired, the whole place went loopy and they went straight into Mr Brightside. I've seen them live a lot of times, but that was undoubtedly the most frenetic and joyous response to the track.

Sounds great. Haven't seen them for many years (last time - the 'secret' Glastonbury show), but saw them a lot on their first ever UK tour in 2003 when they supported British Sea Power, including one gig in the upstairs room of a pub in Lincoln! Got to talk to them a little bit on that tour - and still have Brandon's mobile number on my phone (I think he's changed it now though!)

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
First half we played really well. The Dutch goal seemed to spark us into life and the timing of the penalty was ideal. Very harsh penalty, would’ve been furious to have it given against us, but it was probably about right. From then onwards we could and should’ve gone in at HT ahead.

Second half I think it was a combination of the Dutch playing better, but also down to England reverting back to safe Southgate ball, not taking risks on the ball, playing sideways passes.

Substitutes made an impact and we scored a very well taken winner at the perfect time giving Netherlands virtually no time to respond.

I think on balance we shaded it and deserved to win.

First half was the first time I actually enjoyed watching England all tournament. We actually played attacking football and looked more like the team we were hoping and expecting to see.

Spain will be very tough opponents and I’m not sure what would be the best approach against them as I’m not sure if you can really play the park the bus tactics against them as well as you could a few years ago. This Spain team seems to have more variety to their play and their wingers have made them a much better rounded team.

Maybe it will help us with us not being favourites, but I wouldn’t be surprised if suddenly the media and the general public now start suddenly hyping England up again after a tournament filled with criticism and negativity.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Two things about the penalty:

Would it have been given before VAR? No.
Was it a clear and obvious error? No.

It was a terrible decision (not that I'm complaining, mind...).

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
Two things about the penalty:

Would it have been given before VAR? No.
Was it a clear and obvious error? No.

It was a terrible decision (not that I'm complaining, mind...).
That doesn’t mean the decision was wrong. Says more about the rules of the game. If that happens on the half way line it’s a foul and no one is bothered about that, but for some reason a lot of people think there is a higher threshold for a foul in the penalty area which isn’t true.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Toney and Watkins have both contributed more than Kane in their few minutes on the pitch.
tournament joint top scorer Harry Kane?

Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

What an absolutely brilliant moment.

Out of interest, how early did they stick the game on? I've only seen footage of the final whistle so imagine it was after the goal was scored? Would've been carnage for the Watkins goal if shown.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

That's amazing. Imagine them playing that after we'd lost. Nightmare.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Well that's going to go off. Your kids will find it when throwing away your things.
A bit like the Father’s Day card my son wanted to get but his sister said no.

‘if you think this card is shit, wait until you see the care home’😂

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here