Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Semi Final - Netherlands vs England

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Southgate hasn't got a shred of tactical nouse other than to rely on misguided loyalty and to hope his best players produce the goods

That's a bit of an exaggeration. But he's not as tactically aware as we could do with.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Yep. Just switch it around. Imagine if the defender had cleared the ball and Kane catches him with his follow through. Are people seriously suggesting that wouldn't have been a foul for the Dutch?
Sorry but that is not switching it round. The opposite scenario is the defender clears the ball and then kicks kane on his follow through, are you suggesting that should be a free kick to the defender?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The opposite scenario is the defender clears the ball and then kicks kane on his follow through, are you suggesting that should be a free kick to the defender?

If Kane was standing still, and the defender's follow through hit Kane, Kane would have a case. However, if (as is more the case here) the defender clears the ball, and Kane is a bit late, so the defenders follow through runs into Kane's studs, then I'd say that's a foul on the defender.

I think by the letter of the law, this was a foul on Kane. But they're just not given as penalties in this country. I don't watch much outside, so I don't know how FIFA want it interpreted now. It certainly is weird that in this country, it's never a penalty, but it is a foul.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Harry kicks the ball and then the Dutch raised foot catches him on the instep

Those are the facts in the case.

I think I can add another fact. In this country, they're not usually given as penalties.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Yet another take.

If a defender clears a ball and in following through catches a striker that could be given as a foul.
In which case you can say following through on your shot and striking a defender can also be given as a foul.

Or you could be sensible and say sometimes both players actions are reasonable and shit happens get on with it, which I think we'd all prefer.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yet another take.

If a defender clears a ball and in following through catches a defender that could be given as a foul.
In which case you can say following through on your shot and striking a defender can also be given as a foul.

Or you could be sensible and say sometimes both players actions are reasonable and shit happens get on with it, which I think we'd all prefer.
Getting crazy in football now if kicking your team-mate is a foul :)

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The penalty incident will always been one of the subjective calls as to whether the defender’s action was reckless or careless.
Another reason why VAR should be binned as you will never get 100% consistency.

Kane has been poor technically this tournament but he is still the master of buying fouls as rolling around like his foot and been caught in a bear trap gave the VAR ample time to look at the decision and get in the ref’s ear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here