Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Quarter Finals (England vs Switzerland, Netherlands vs Turkey)

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I’ve no idea what type of England are going to turn up. We’ve been deeply unimpressive and yet we haven’t lost yet and are in the quarters. The French have, if anything, been worse and got to the semis.

This is far from a classic tournament and if we play like we have been then Switzerland should win. But if we just kick it up a little we should progress.

The defence worries me a lot. I’m not sure if either left back option is fit, but if it’s Trippier again we can forget any productivity from playing out from the back. Gomez, Dunk and Konsa offer different things at centre back but all will be right footed players turning in, further narrowing the pitch in possession. I’d take Dumk’s comfort in possession and ability to ping a diagonal, but obviously I’m biased.

Go out and it’s Southgate’s worst tournament of his tenure. Get through and it’s yet another last four on his cv, making him easily the most successful modern England coach.
I’m convinced we’ll go three at the back today with wing backs. Back three of Walker, Stones, Guehi. With Trent AA right wing back. And I think Saka might play at left wing back. Just a hunch of course, but they play three at the back and I think we’ll match them up

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
England know they have a mountain to climb if they are to conquer Switzerland.
True. They Swiss play as a team which, along with their flag, is a big plus.

Phew, been trying to shoehorn that gag into a post all day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m convinced we’ll go three at the back today with wing backs. Back three of Walker, Stones, Guehi. With Trent AA right wing back. And I think Saka might play at left wing back. Just a hunch of course, but they play three at the back and I think we’ll match them up
Guehi is suspended. You’d have to choose between Dunk, Konsa and Gomez for LCB.

I do like that idea though.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I’ve no idea what type of England are going to turn up. We’ve been deeply unimpressive and yet we haven’t lost yet and are in the quarters. The French have, if anything, been worse and got to the semis.
who has been impressive? Maybe Spain? Germany looked like winners, much more impressive than England - where are they now?

2004 we looked really impressive, Rooney's hat trick in thumping Croatia. That doesn't win you tournaments as we found out, as England's achilles heel was making errors and being psychologically naive.

Just get out of your group then grow into the tournament - it's how you finish, not how you start

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
no they didn't, they parked the bus and put every man behind the ball. Nearly worked for them but was their undoing
They had more shots on target (4) than England and the same off target (7). This post is almost as absurd as your “Spain always bottle it at tournaments” effort.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
who has been impressive? Maybe Spain? Germany looked like winners, much more impressive than England - where are they now?

2004 we looked really impressive, Rooney's hat trick in thumping Croatia. That doesn't win you tournaments as we found out, as England's achilles heel was making errors and being psychologically naive.

Just get out of your group then grow into the tournament - it's how you finish, not how you start
Spain have been impressive and The Netherlands have improved as they’ve gone.

I’ve historically agreed with everything you’ve written there when it comes to England, but if we play like we have been today the Swiss will murder us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They had more shots on target (4) than England and the same off target (7). This post is almost as absurd as your “Spain always bottle it at tournaments” effort.

IMO England were the better side. 'Shots on target' can be misleading, if they're simply hit and hopes from distance. Rice's effort that hit the post was closer to being a goal than their attempts. Foden's offside goal was also closer - if he'd have held back a little, he'd have scored.

If that game had been England against, say, France, everyone would say how France took an early lead and then sat back, while England were the better side, pressing for an equalizer, and deservedly winning in the end. But (understandably) because it was against a lower ranked team, we expected more from England. With the footballers at their disposal, Slovakia did better than expected and England did worse. But that's not to say Slovakia were actually the better side - they weren't.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
IMO England were the better side. 'Shots on target' can be misleading, if they're simply hit and hopes from distance. Rice's effort that hit the post was closer to being a goal than their attempts. Foden's offside goal was also closer - if he'd have held back a little, he'd have scored.

If that game had been England against, say, France, everyone would say how France took an early lead and then sat back, while England were the better side, pressing for an equalizer, and deservedly winning in the end. But (understandably) because it was against a lower ranked team, we expected more from England. With the footballers at their disposal, Slovakia did better than expected and England did worse. But that's not to say Slovakia were actually the better side - they weren't.
I get this and agree. My point was more challenging the idea of Slovakia parking the bus….I don’t feel they did.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

It's been widely reported that we'll be 3 at the back, most likely Konsa, Stones and Walker. Hopefully, that mean TAA rwb and I'd guess Saka lwb otherwise you'd have to drop him.

Then it'll Rice and Mainoo in the middle with Bellingham and Foden behind Kane.

A change of shape is clearly needed so I'm in favour this switch. Also, means we mirror Switzerland's style so won't be overloaded in the middle.

One doubt is Trent. The Swiss tend to attack down the left so will Gareth want more defensive solidity on our right? I'd go for TAA over Trippier anyway.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
I was there a couple of years ago, there was a scattering of sport type bars near that picturesque main square.... I would be surprised if they aren't showing it.

Edit:.. I just looked it up, the place we had a few beers at, which had screens, Lion Bar.
Great. I walked past the Lion Bar this afternoon when it was still shut and it’s good to hear it has screens. I’ll give it a try. You’re the first to name a specific bar, for which I’m grateful.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
It's been widely reported that we'll be 3 at the back, most likely Konsa, Stones and Walker. Hopefully, that mean TAA rwb and I'd guess Saka lwb otherwise you'd have to drop him.

A change of shape is clearly needed so I'm in favour this switch. Also, means we mirror Switzerland's style so won't be overloaded in the middle.

One doubt is Trent. The Swiss tend to attack down the left so will Gareth want more defensive solidity on our right? I'd go for TAA over Trippier anyway.
Think it’s now widely reported it will be Trippier over Trent.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Great. I walked past the Lion Bar this afternoon when it was still shut and it’s good to hear it has screens. I’ll give it a try. You’re the first to name a specific bar, for which I’m grateful.
It had screen when we went,.. remember getting bored with ice hockey on....

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017

Good post. If he’s got any balls it will be TAA over Trippier. We’ve been toothless going forward and he’s probably the best right back going forward in world football with his quality into the box.

Only one difference to your suggestion is I think Bellingham will play next to Rice, with Palmer and Foden behind Kane.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

Seems its going to be Tripper at RWB. I assume that is to make us more defensively solid but also so that we can change back to the 4-2-3-1as its the normal personnel but just Konsa for Geuhi

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
IMG_3529.jpeg

Directly above Lugano, Switzerland, managed to snag some last minute England tickets for tonight off a Nigerian mate. Haven’t met him in person but he seems really nice in the emails! His family are very rich, I think they might even be royalty, and I’m doing him a favour by buying the tickets. He seemed really grateful.

Fully expecting a comfortable victory for the Lions, I’m told a private car is picking me up to take me to the ground (for a small surcharge) but well worth it!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Good post. If he’s got any balls it will be TAA over Trippier. We’ve been toothless going forward and he’s probably the best right back going forward in world football with his quality into the box.

Only one difference to your suggestion is I think Bellingham will play next to Rice, with Palmer and Foden behind Kane.

That would be the dream but can't see GS going for that. Sounds like it's Trippier instead of Trent too which is as depressing as it is unsurprising.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here