Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Quarter Finals (England vs Switzerland, Netherlands vs Turkey)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I’m in Malmo for a couple of days (Ooh, look at me). I know Sweden isn’t going to get over-excited about the Euros but I’m struggling to find a bar showing any game this evening. Any NSCers with any advice? Thanks.
I was there a couple of years ago, there was a scattering of sport type bars near that picturesque main square.... I would be surprised if they aren't showing it.

Edit:.. I just looked it up, the place we had a few beers at, which had screens, Lion Bar.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been out for breakfast, loads of Dutch in my neighborhood.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Did I say that? I am pissed off that when we do score early we then revert to trying not to concede. If you think that’s the way to play your call, but it does not win tournaments as we have found out in the last two :shrug:
that's where you're wrong, Slovakia took the lead and tried to defend it, it was their downfall

Spain, Italy etc are the same, if you have a lead you have control, the other side have to play to get an equaliser so you just keep things tight, play cautious and patiently see if you can find that killer 2nd goal

our tactics are not all out defending or retreating it's about keeping possesion and game management, making it hard for your opponents

If you prefer open, gung-ho football, remember losing 4-1 to Germany in 2010?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Breakfast Currywurst?
Ha ha. Nope, I’m not hung over! :lolol: Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.

Off all the fans I have seen I think the Dutch are the most fun…I love the detail: orange nail vanish, sun glasses, bum bags, socks. Anything and everything is orange.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ha ha. Nope, I’m not hung over! :lolol: Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.

Off all the fans I have seen I think the Dutch are the most fun…I love the detail: orange nail vanish, sun glasses, bum bags, socks. Anything and everything is orange.
Agreed, although I didn't get a match ticket,..I had a great time in Amsterdam in November, watching in a back street bar with locals.... all round a great experience, they seem to smile a lot.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Er…..Have you not seen how these two nations have performed in this tournament?
Yes, they’re playing out of their skins, we haven’t got started. Yet lo and behold we’ve both made it to the quarter finals. We’re miles better than them. Because we have much, much better players.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, they’re playing out of their skins, we haven’t got started. Yet lo and behold we’ve both made it to the quarter finals. We’re miles better than them. Because we have much, much better players.
They’ve been playing as a well organised team who know each other well from playing together for a long time. One pundit drew a parallel with Leverkusen, a team which does not have any real stars but where the total is far greater than the sum of the parts. I get this. England have greater individuals but they do not seem to gel. We will see which prevails.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
that's where you're wrong, Slovakia took the lead and tried to defend it, it was their downfall

Spain, Italy etc are the same, if you have a lead you have control, the other side have to play to get an equaliser so you just keep things tight, play cautious and patiently see if you can find that killer 2nd goal

our tactics are not all out defending or retreating it's about keeping possesion and game management, making it hard for your opponents

If you prefer open, gung-ho football, remember losing 4-1 to Germany in 2010?
:lolol: Slovakia had plenty of opportunity to put that game to bed, we were so shit that we didn’t even have a shot on target until the equaliser, got some luck with the winner and could still have conceded again. A better team would have put that game to bed as we played like a team devoid of ideas and confidence. Unforgivable given the talent at Southgate‘s disposal.

I will avoid posting on this thread in game tonight as I do not want to spoil it for the happy clapper England fans, win, lose or be embarrassed.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
They’ve been playing as a well organised team who know each other well from playing together for a long time. One pundit drew a parallel with Leverkusen, a team which does not have any real stars but where the total is far greater than the sum of the parts. I get this. England have greater individuals but they do not seem to gel. We will see which prevails.
France have been dogshit all tournament too, as were Portugal for most of it, Netherlands questionable. Yet if it was Switzlerand vs any of them today we’d all have the Swiss as clear under dogs, because they have worse players. We need to have confidence in our team because us and France have the best squads there. We’ve been playing at a 4/10 , if we even get to 7/10 we’ll win today

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
France have been dogshit all tournament too, as were Portugal for most of it, Netherlands questionable. Yet if it was Switzlerand vs any of them today we’d all have the Swiss as clear under dogs, because they have worse players. We need to have confidence in our team because us and France have the best squads there. We’ve been playing at a 4/10 , if we even get to 7/10 we’ll win today
All true, let’s hope it clicks tonight

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’ve no idea what type of England are going to turn up. We’ve been deeply unimpressive and yet we haven’t lost yet and are in the quarters. The French have, if anything, been worse and got to the semis.

This is far from a classic tournament and if we play like we have been then Switzerland should win. But if we just kick it up a little we should progress.

The defence worries me a lot. I’m not sure if either left back option is fit, but if it’s Trippier again we can forget any productivity from playing out from the back. Gomez, Dunk and Konsa offer different things at centre back but all will be right footed players turning in, further narrowing the pitch in possession. I’d take Dumk’s comfort in possession and ability to ping a diagonal, but obviously I’m biased.

Go out and it’s Southgate’s worst tournament of his tenure. Get through and it’s yet another last four on his cv, making him easily the most successful modern England coach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here