Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 3

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I agree that in general, England fans online expect to much from individual games. Winning against the 'lower' teams isn't a given, we (and the other big countries) don't always do it. However, I don't think we played well, apart from the first half hour when Serbia were too timid.

No, that's not it.

That's because the players at Brighton's disposal are not miles better than Villa, Forest and AEK.
We were significantly better than Forest and AEK, and our squad is significantly better. I just don't get the amount of stick Southgate has got for getting through an arguably tricky tie. If we play like that in all three games then I'd be worried. Denmark, a significantly better team than Slovenia drew with them. Group stage is about getting 3 points, people are acting like Serbia are a pub team. They area a good side, Vlahovic, Milinkovic-Savic, Tadic and Mitrovic are very good players, keeping Mitrovic quiet except for a misplaced pass. TAA is a good option in midfield when you dominate the ball, which is fine for the majority of the group. Gallagher shored things up when he came on, I'd rather see him, Mainoo or Wharton in other games. There is plenty you can criticise Southgate for over the years but last night wasn't one of them. If we get another manager I don't think that game goes any differently, I find people's expectations with their national team being wildly different to their club teams fascinating.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
So do we think Dunk should have played last night instead of Guehi? The defending in the second half surely could not have been any more frantic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He had higher quality players at Chelsea and from what I could make out made a complete mess of it.
Dropping senior players for youngsters for no apparent reason, tried to play Sterling as a WB, dropped Aubameyang who had scored goals to give Potter early Chelsea success.
I’m not convinced he’s this top coach certain posters rave about and would be way out of his depth as England manager.
Would be amusing though especially as I’m not an England fan.
Personally, I would not judge any manager by their time at Chelsea under that lunatic Bohely.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
We were significantly better than Forest and AEK, and our squad is significantly better. I just don't get the amount of stick Southgate has got for getting through an arguably tricky tie. If we play like that in all three games then I'd be worried. Denmark, a significantly better team than Slovenia drew with them. Group stage is about getting 3 points, people are acting like Serbia are a pub team. They area a good side, Vlahovic, Milinkovic-Savic, Tadic and Mitrovic are very good players, keeping Mitrovic quiet except for a misplaced pass. TAA is a good option in midfield when you dominate the ball, which is fine for the majority of the group. Gallagher shored things up when he came on, I'd rather see him, Mainoo or Wharton in other games. There is plenty you can criticise Southgate for over the years but last night wasn't one of them. If we get another manager I don't think that game goes any differently, I find people's expectations with their national team being wildly different to their club teams fascinating.

I like the positivity and we won so really that's all that matters.

But it's not this is a one off. It's just another game where we fade. Another game with absolute world beaters not being utilised correctly. Another game where we try to scrape by using the most basic of tactics (lumping it up to Kane time and time again FFS). I don't and have never thought it's the way England should play. Given the modern crop of players GS has had at his disposal the last few years I want him to be more brave. But I just don't think he has the capacity to affect change during a game in a meaningful, positive way.

He shoots for par. He's a fantastic guy. He's the best ambassador you could ask for but he is a poor tactician.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do we want calypso football and get caught out? I don’t.
What I would like is a better defence, a more modern goalkeeper and someone in midfield who can dictate the pace of the game a bit. This latter point seems to be a key to success at tournaments and all decent teams have identified someone who can do this to varying degrees.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
No, Guehi was arguably the best defender there, was it that frantic? I don't think I was worried about conceding at any point.
Agree with that. The commentators were acting like England were on the ropes. I didn't think they were. It was mostly long range pot shots.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
What I would like is a better defence, a more modern goalkeeper and someone in midfield who can dictate the pace of the game a bit. This latter point seems to be a key to success at tournaments and all decent teams have identified someone who can do this to varying degrees.
Goalie, agree, Pickford is old skool, we need something different.

Defence, well we just don't have that many good defenders at the moment.

Midfielder both rice and belly are 2 of the best pace dicactors in the world at the moment at club level !!

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London
Agree with that. The commentators were acting like England were on the ropes. I didn't think they were. It was mostly long range pot shots.
Not trying to be uncharitable to England but it's not just the shots that were attempted but also the chances created by Serbia.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I like the positivity and we won so really that's all that matters.

But it's not this is a one off. It's just another game where we fade. Another game with absolute world beaters not being utilised correctly. Another game where we try to scrape by using the most basic of tactics (lumping it up to Kane time and time again FFS). I don't and have never thought it's the way England should play. Given the modern crop of players GS has had at his disposal the last few years I want him to be more brave. But I just don't think he has the capacity to affect change during a game in a meaningful, positive way.

He shoots for par. He's a fantastic guy. He's the best ambassador you could ask for but he is a poor tactician.
You can argue he should be more brave, I would like to see him maybe change up the formation and put two up top, or be a bit more dynamic and not make like for like subs, but other than that I don't see what more he could have done. Every time we tried playing a Serbian, just clattered someone and then gave away a free kick. You have to read a game, he utilised Bellingham perfectly yesterday, he was world class. This lumping it up to Kane criticism I'm not understanding, quite often he held it up and played it off to others. If it wasn't for an absolutely world class save we win 2-0 and I don't think anyone criticising to this extent. His big fault was keeping Foden on who especially in the second half looked lost. Gallagher and Bowen really sorted things out once they came on, I think this is the only time I've watched him and gone that was a sensible decision.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I was, and based on the noises around me, so was much of the rest of the pub I watched the game in.
This is why I find it difficult to watch these England games in pubs, if people were worried about conceding there, then they simply haven't lived a real 90 minutes of trying not to concede :lolol: .

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Not trying to be uncharitable to England but it's not just the shots that were attempted but also the chances created by Serbia.
Agreed. Serbia were on par, or even better, than England throughout the match - and that is also reflected in the statistics. If we want to win the EUROs, which is certainly achievable with our squad, then we must perform better in the following group matches. I'm not indicating that Serbia is a weak side, but there are definitely stronger teams from what I've seen so far; it is down to Southgate to adapt and improve throughout the tournament so that we can have a good run.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Midfielder both rice and belly are 2 of the best pace dicactors in the world at the moment at club level !!
Re Pickford I think the commentators were very kind to him. 4 points/mistakes (sort of) I can recall instantly:
1) fumbling around on the ground after Mitrovics near post chance,
2) a punch when it was catchable
3) Kanes late headed clearance when it could have been claimed by Pickford, and 4) that “wonder save” when it was just a push over the bar

His kicking was “Ave it” type clearances but admittedly he had no one to aim at.

Clean sheet though!! Not the time to change.

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London
You can argue he should be more brave, I would like to see him maybe change up the formation and put two up top, or be a bit more dynamic and not make like for like subs, but other than that I don't see what more he could have done. Every time we tried playing a Serbian, just clattered someone and then gave away a free kick. You have to read a game, he utilised Bellingham perfectly yesterday, he was world class. This lumping it up to Kane criticism I'm not understanding, quite often he held it up and played it off to others. If it wasn't for an absolutely world class save we win 2-0 and I don't think anyone criticising to this extent. His big fault was keeping Foden on who especially in the second half looked lost. Gallagher and Bowen really sorted things out once they came on, I think this is the only time I've watched him and gone that was a sensible decision.
FWIW I don't blame Kane for last night, I don't think he got enough service and his header was only kept out by a great save.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Neither Rice nor Bellingham seem to have that style I feel England need though. I'm thinking of Toni Kroos, that old italian guy...Pirlo?, Schweinstiger types. Had England had someone similar then the second half would have been easier. Who would you say is the heartbeat of the team?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Neither Rice nor Bellingham seem to have that style I feel England need though. I'm thinking of Toni Kroos, that old italian guy...Pirlo?, Schweinstiger types. Had England had someone similar then the second half would have been easier. Who would you say is the heartbeat of the team?
Bellingham, he was fantastic, he played a role like that last night I'd say. Rice similarly.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Bellingham has really come into his own this season. He has a good type of "arrogance" which shows his passion and desire for the team. I think England has been lacking that character in previous tournaments. The midfielders are fairly young, so they don't contain that experience like Kroos or Pirlo, but I'm certainly seeing positive signs there for the short-term and the long-term too.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sorry but that is garbage.

TAA didn't have a scooby where to position himself. Gave the ball away in a terrible position. Second half no one took control. In the main I thought our midfield was awful, but when the ball is constantly flying over your head after yet another pointless cannon ball from the keeper, it wasn't surprising. We invited pressure from the 35th minute to the end of the game.

It was a typical Southgate team performance, something we've witnessed far too often at tournaments. It eventually screws us every time. How Southgate manages to negate our best attacking players is some feat. He has cost us winning a tournament with his brand of negative football. He has won duck all as a manager and that's how it will stay unfortunately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here