Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - FINAL!!! Spain vs England

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Southgate go back to leading focus groups in an office in Basildon with a flipchart - that's where you belong

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yeah for sure. But, meaning no disrespect to the men and women who will go on to win gold, it's football I want us to win. I want our national team to win a tournament before my ever aging father isn't alive to see it.
I hear you.

We'd have had a better chance of that this time with a manager who can tactically get the best out of his players on a football pitch.

When it comes to bringing in business, I want a hungry driven salesman, not a phlegmatic HR manager.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Not that it would’ve made any difference to the result and the deserved Spanish win, but it pissed me off more than it should that the ref blew dead on 94 mins, despite the ball being in play for about 30 seconds of injury time.

4 mins didn’t seem long enough either after having got used to PL games where 5-10 mins seems the norm since the 2022 World Cup.
Seems an odd complaint. There was very little time wasting and the physios didn’t come on at all. The clock doesn’t stop when the ball goes out of play. 🤷.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's not, he's a very good player

Southgate has no idea how to use him.
In some ways he's a player from another era. Nowadays you simply have to be able to look after the ball at this level. Rice gives the ball away in dangerous areas far too frequently. He is a tremendous tackler, he anticipates danger and he gets into some great positions going forward, but defensively he can be a liability. You sometimes almost wish he doesn't win a challenge because he is liable to give the ball away more dangerously after winning the ball than if the his opponent had simply shrugged him off.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Seems an odd complaint. There was very little time wasting and the physios didn’t come on at all. The clock doesn’t stop when the ball goes out of play. 🤷.
In injury time? There was over a minute of the floppy haired snake rolling on the floor alone.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
In 12 days time, the Olympics will start. We'll have plenty of winners there. We have sportsmen and sportswomen who can get it done.

But Southgate isn't a winner in football.

He never was as a player,

He never is as a manager.

And quite possibly never will be.
In 20 days time we go to QPR

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
In 20 days time we go to QPR
That's a relief.

We'll probably see more attacking intent in a preseason friendly than England have shown all tournament.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Spain were just better than us plain and simple and we did well to push them all the way. We’d only ever beat them on penalties.

Probably the end for Southgate, the best record of any England manager at tournaments since Sir Alf

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here