Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - FINAL!!! Spain vs England

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Players never showed up for the game. Another appalling performance. This time though we came up against a top team so we lost. Southgate’s legacy will be yet again losing against a top team. We still haven’t beaten a top team under Southgate at a major tournament. We only had to play one decent match against a decent team to win the tournament and we couldn’t even manage that. The players really let us down last night. Kane was absolutely useless yet again. Very annoyed and disappointed.
Im not disagreeing with Kane being useless, but Watkins didn't really do much either (he ran which was an improvement) this system and style kills strikers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm sure this is covered elsewhere in the thread but I wasn't posting on here while I was watching (I was drinking beer on my mate's sofa and discussing the game with them). However, if there is one really frustrating thing about last night it was "added on time". Four minutes in which the ball was kicked maybe a dozen times and players were either down with "injuries" or blocking quick free kick attempts.

In what universe is that ok?

I've seen this version of calculating injury time and I've seen when the Premier League did it properly and I prefer the latter. Sure you might spend 10 more mins in the ground but, overall, that's far preferable to the professional running down of the clock while the referee does sod all.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I'm sure this is covered elsewhere in the thread but I wasn't posting on here while I was watching (I was drinking beer on my mate's sofa and discussing the game with them). However, if there is one really frustrating thing about last night it was "added on time". Four minutes in which the ball was kicked maybe a dozen times and players were either down with "injuries" or blocking quick free kick attempts.

I've seen this version of calculating injury time and I've seen when the Premier League did it properly and I prefer the latter. Sure you might spend 10 more mins in the ground but, overall, that's far preferable to the professional running down of the clock while the referee does sod all.
The ball was in play 1 min 6 secs of the 4 minutes. Disgraceful.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
I'm sure this is covered elsewhere in the thread but I wasn't posting on here while I was watching (I was drinking beer on my mate's sofa and discussing the game with them). However, if there is one really frustrating thing about last night it was "added on time". Four minutes in which the ball was kicked maybe a dozen times and players were either

I posted about it after the game at around 11:30pm.

Surprised I didn’t see anyone else mention it when I looked through earlier posts then.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I'm actually the opposite. I thought it was quite refreshing that we didn't have 10+ minutes added on and I hope it's the same in the PL next season. I appreciate why it was brought in, but like VAR I feel the solution is worse than the problem. Also I don't mind the fact that in a football match the ball often isn't in play. Fine, it's football not pinball.

I also appreciate that that's probably not a majority view.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Yup was a bit shocking not to see at least another minute. Don't think it mattered the slightest as the England players were dead and buried after the Spanish save on the goal line, but its still poor.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yup was a bit shocking not to see at least another minute. Don't think it mattered the slightest as the England players were dead and buried after the Spanish save on the goal line, but its still poor.
Absolutely, I'm not saying we'd have scored. Very differently timed to some PL games last season.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Has Cucurella shrunk? I'm sure he wasn't that small when he played for us for those few weeks. Maybe the vertical stripes made him look taller, or the Spain team is full of giants.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Going under the radar that Southgate was about to bring on Conor Gallagher and Kieran Trippier before Spain scored. To sit even deeper during extra time to try to see it out to penalties. Mentality.

Anyone see the subs warming up? Is that true?

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Absolutely, I'm not saying we'd have scored. Very differently timed to some PL games last season.
There was no consistency.

In the Spain v Germany quarter final they added three minutes just to the end of the second half of extra time, presumably because of the goal Spain scored and celebration (and that the host nation were losing of course).

Yet in the second half of the final there were three goal celebrations plus six substitutions and they only added on four minutes (and stuck to it despite more stoppages in that period).

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Going under the radar that Southgate was about to bring on Conor Gallagher and Kieran Trippier before Spain scored. To sit even deeper during extra time to try to see it out to penalties. Mentality.

it was mentioned by the commentary team, spent most of my time watching paint dry however, so cannot confirm or deny the veracity of said commentary.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
it was mentioned by the commentary team, spent most of my time watching paint dry however, so cannot confirm or deny the veracity of said commentary.
I heard that too. I was just thinking what a sh|t move it would be, when they scored and it didn't matter anymore.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

Yes. Though Shaw was done by that point so that one made sense (disregarding that the only alternative he brought was trippier)
I'm guessing Robbie Savage mkII was going to replace Foden, so not exactly going to help our ball retention.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Having not posted since half time, I thought we did okay against a much better side and deserved winners of the tournament. Southgate actually made a number of good calls, ditching Kane (who was hopeless) and introducing Palmer early enough to make a difference.

I thought Stones was excellent as was Shaw and Pickford.

We gave a plucky and spirited performance and could’ve snuck into extra time with the headers at the end, but similarly they should’ve killed the game dead long before then. Only some poor finishing and Pickford’s fine saves gave us a sniff.

Thank you Gareth Southgate for your achievements in getting us to two finals, our finest manager in achievement terms in many of our lifetimes.

But I think a change is in order now. Mistakes were made throughout the tournament (again, I perhaps controversially suggest not in the final though this time, unlike against Italy) and our style of football when put against Spain is laughably simplistic.

I really hope it’s not Potter though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
A few good saves but I find it remarkable how there seems to be a consensus Pickford had a good tournament.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here