Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Going under the radar that Southgate was about to bring on Conor Gallagher and Kieran Trippier before Spain scored. To sit even deeper during extra time to try to see it out to penalties. Mentality.

Anyone see the subs warming up? Is that true?

In a nutshell that sums up Southgate’s negative approach. Unbelievable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Having not posted since half time, I thought we did okay against a much better side and deserved winners of the tournament. Southgate actually made a number of good calls, ditching Kane (who was hopeless) and introducing Palmer early enough to make a difference.

I thought Stones was excellent as was Shaw and Pickford.

We gave a plucky and spirited performance and could’ve snuck into extra time with the headers at the end, but similarly they should’ve killed the game dead long before then. Only some poor finishing and Pickford’s fine saves gave us a sniff.

Thank you Gareth Southgate for your achievements in getting us to two finals, our finest manager in achievement terms in many of our lifetimes.

But I think a change is in order now. Mistakes were made throughout the tournament (again, I perhaps controversially suggest not in the final though this time, unlike against Italy) and our style of football when put against Spain is laughably simplistic.

I really hope it’s not Potter though.

Kane shouldn’t have started. Turns out he’s been injured, explaining his even worse mobility.

(Examined in detail at times today on the radio) GS made a tactical adjustment at HT by pushing Saka forward. Leading directly to the opener seconds later and countless chances just afterwards.

Pickford’s distribution in the tournament was awful. Ceding possession on repeat.

Spain were light years ahead of us. We only competed in the second quarter and for around 5 minutes around the time of our goal.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I remember watching that throw-in and wondering why it wasn't a long throw into the box. It seems the most sensible move.
Oh FFS - don't some dinosaurs ever learn? A long throw into the penalty area is just the equivalent of hoofing, but with the hands instead. The important thing in football is to KEEP POSSESSION. A long throw could have lost possession as soon as it reached the penalty area -but the way England did it (correctly) was to at least pass it to two more colleagues before losing possession.
Two completed passes are better than one, or are you stupid or what (or a dinosaur)?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolutely, I'm not saying we'd have scored. Very differently timed to some PL games last season.
There was no consistency.

In the Spain v Germany quarter final they added three minutes just to the end of the second half of extra time, presumably because of the goal Spain scored and celebration (and that the host nation were losing of course).

Yet in the second half of the final there were three goal celebrations plus six substitutions and they only added on four minutes (and stuck to it despite more stoppages in that period).
This might explain things. I’m not exactly sure how this works, but in short there was new guidance to limit the amount of extra time.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Oh FFS - don't some dinosaurs ever learn? A long throw into the penalty area is just the equivalent of hoofing, but with the hands instead. The important thing in football is to KEEP POSSESSION. A long throw could have lost possession as soon as it reached the penalty area -but the way England did it (correctly) was to at least pass it to two more colleagues before losing possession.
Two completed passes are better than one, or are you stupid or what (or a dinosaur)?
Well, I like to see a long throw into the box, so nerr.

Yours,

T. Rex of Queen's Park

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Correct, it’s not as if we ever score from one…….

Seriously though we literally teach U10s not go backwards on throw ins…..

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Actually, so do I. Irony anyone?

P.S. If that was an attempt at a whoosh - stroll on! :lolol:
Well, I did think it an unusual outburst.

So, yes, I was wooshed. But I'm a bit of a sprat in that respect. Delete letters as appropriate.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
TS discussion yesterday about Bellingham not being overly popular in the England dressing room in the way he wasn't at Dortmund due to his demanding, perfectionist standards and frustration with teammates who fell short. Who knew? (I doubt they do, but there were a lot of stories about Dortmund players not being sad to see him leave)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
TS discussion yesterday about Bellingham not being overly popular in the England dressing room in the way he wasn't at Dortmund due to his demanding, perfectionist standards and frustration with teammates who fell short. Who knew? (I doubt they do, but there were a lot of stories about Dortmund players not being sad to see him leave)
Take everything you hear on Talkshite with a pinch of salt, Bellingham was the player after the final whistle walking around geeing players up, not stood there with his head in his hands crying and wondering why hoofing the ball up the field to precisely no one did not work like Pickford.
Only one person to blame and he was so stuck in his ways, he couldn't be bothered to change his shirt the whole tournament.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Take everything you hear on Talkshite with a pinch of salt, Bellingham was the player after the final whistle walking around geeing players up, not stood there with his head in his hands wondering why hoofing the ball up the field to precisely no one like Pickford.
He was sat on the field head in hands at the end at one point. TS is a load of baseless conjecture but the Dortmund story is seemingly credible.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've skipped to the final page so there will be many posts missing a positive reaction had I the time to read the whole thing.

That was grim, but it should have been a buzz. For a brief spell, I thought we were going to do it after the equaliser, then it went turgid again too soon.

Such a shame. Such a waste.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here